The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by C.Linton Go to original post
    And what EXACTLY do you suggest Ubisoft do to fix this? They've been on Steam's back about this since day one and Steam has done little to nothing to fix it. There's nothing that Ubisoft can do that they haven't done already. it's not like Steam is gonna allow Ubisoft access to their system and servers to fix the issue. Only Steam can do that. Ubisoft can't hold a gun to Stream's head and say "Fix it or we'll shoot."
    From my first post:

Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    "Obviously, UbiSoft can't make changes to Steam, so what could they possibly do?" you might ask. Well, they could reimburse or discount the cost of purchasing RS1 for new customers of RS2014. They could also grant credits on dlc downloads in the amount that people are having to spend buying RS1 for the sake of getting access to the older dlc. Maybe there's something else that would accomplish the same thing in a way that would be more palatable to them. Whatever. Bottom line is that they could do something to make this right besides sitting idly by while the RS community continues to put the blame on Steam.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    There could also be licensing issue with the artists/labels, not wanting to "give" songs away for a new version of a game.

It could be any number of things, but clearly it is not easy to solve.

Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Hehe, why would they grant credit? Both Ubi and Steam are making extra money on the people that give up waiting and purchase the original game in order to buy the DLC.

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Kynlore Go to original post
    We don't know Ubi has been on Steam's back about this. I think the fact that two years later and it still isn't fixed shows that they haven't been on their back to fix it, otherwise it would be resolved.

My opinion on how it worked out:

Ubi: "Hey, the original game DLC can't be purchased using the 2014 version of the game, can you fix that?"

Steam: "Yeah, no problem." They fix a couple, then leave it to work on other issues.

Ubi: Never checks on it, and when asked, "we told Steam and they are working on it"

Which, I believe, is how they handle all their DLC issues with Sony and Microsoft too.
    And you don't know that they haven't, and your "opinion on how it worked out" is all rank speculation at best, based on basically nothing. It makes absolutely no sense that Ubi is sitting on their hands doing nothing about it, this is costing them money that goes to supporting RS and being able to afford the licensing in the first place. If they can't afford to license songs then RS is dead in the water. Your little scenario makes no sense whatsoever.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Pretty sure the last part of your story isn't true at all, but you know... Stories are fun

And you don't know that they haven't, and your "opinion on how it worked out" is all rank speculation at best, based on basically nothing. Your little scenario makes no sense whatsoever.
    Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    Pretty sure the last part of your story isn't true at all, but you know... Stories are fun
    Sure it's a story, sure it's speculation, and sure, it's my opinion. All of which I formed based on what I've been told, what has happened, and my own experience in the world. Feel free to disagree, as you do. I won't attempt to belittle either of your opinions.

I ask though, how much of the reports from Ubi are stories, or "little scenarios"?

It makes absolutely no sense that Ubi is sitting on their hands doing nothing about it, this is costing them money that goes to supporting RS and being able to afford the licensing in the first place. If they can't afford to license songs then RS is dead in the water.
    If Ubi is working so hard on getting this fixed, why has it not been taken care of in two years? They've shown it's possible. They fixed some songs. Why not all of them?

I don't think it is costing them money. I think they are making money on RS1 sales.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    I'd think they would make more money having the 140+ downloads available to customers without an additional $29.99 purchase

They are getting both.

Originally Posted by Enbolition Go to original post
    Oh... That's really unfortunate =/ I'm probably not gonna buy RS1 even if it's on sale :S But thanks for the info!
    I'm just curious. Why wouldn't you buy it if it was on sale? For $17.95 you get the entire RS1 catalog (minus the couple of songs the artist didn't want transferred) into RS2014 and you can still play the songs that didn't transfer with RS1? RS1 was a fun game and still has a lot to offer.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Kynlore Go to original post
    Hehe, why would they grant credit? Both Ubi and Steam are making extra money on the people that give up waiting and purchase the original game in order to buy the DLC.
    Heh, I said "should" not "would". The fact that they haven't anything done to make this right for their customers after whatever efforts they might have made with Steam have obviously failed, is why they still stink in all this.

I get that it takes time to fix things, and I feel like that's what's happening with the current SCEE issues. Dan tells us they are following up and getting a response and formulating a plan, and I believe that they are. But at some point, after things have broken down and no further progress is being made and the people who believed in you are still left hanging, it's time to 'fess up and say "we're not going to be able to fix this the way we'd like too, but we appreciate your patience and we care about you, so here's what we're prepared to do...."