I love Unity so far (no spoilers please)

I have only been playing Unity for three days so far and have just finished the second sequence and got my Assassin skills and co-op, etc. I only started it on Monday so I am playing the game after all patches also.

However, I've seen no issues with the gameplay itself, the story (so far) and generally. It feels a lot like AC1 and I thoroughly love it so far. I do not get why people are so negative on this game at all. Is is really because they dislike the game itself or was it due to the issues with the glitches, bugs, etc.

Those criticism are 100% justified but I think if people started this game new, now, like me, they'd enjoy it. I think the game has been overlooked but that is just my opinion.

*Edit - No problems with the App either so far. Am I just extremely lucky here?*

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    There seem to be two main camps: those who value story think Unity is awful, and those who value gameplay think it's great. I'm in the latter camp. You're also lucky that some of the biggest bugs were patched before you started playing. The game was a mess at launch.

The app remains annoying. It worked okay for me until the last missions, then it stopped synchronizing and preventing me from completing the game 100%. You likely won't find out if you'll have the same problem until you've already sunk several weeks into the app.

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    There seem to be two main camps: those who value story think Unity is awful, and those who value gameplay think it's great. I'm in the latter camp. You're also lucky that some of the biggest bugs were patched before you started playing. The game was a mess at launch.

The app remains annoying. It worked okay for me until the last missions, then it stopped synchronizing and preventing me from completing the game 100%. You likely won't find out if you'll have the same problem until you've already sunk several weeks into the app.
    I am an 80/20 story over gameplay guy, I rarely play games if there is no story for me to work through but so far, Unity has a story that makes sense and the gameplay is great. As I said, maybe the story will go down the toilet for me later but it feels great to me so far. I just think people who dislike it would enjoy it if they played it again, after the patches and gave it a clean slate (well, not the story since that cannot change).

It's odd to me.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    I too thought the first few hours of the game was great at first but the story/campaign gets worse and worse as it goes along - rushed, poorly paced, character moments that just aren't earned. Furthermore, as the missions become more demanding you will begin to lose patience with the unresponsive mechanics.

Originally Posted by EmptyCrustacean Go to original post
    I too thought the first few hours of the game was great at first but the story/campaign gets worse and worse as it goes along - rushed, poorly paced, character moments that just aren't earned. Furthermore, as the missions become more demanding you will begin to lose patience with the unresponsive mechanics.
    I only play one or maybe two story missions a night and do side stuff for the rest of my game session. Will my play style fix any pacing issues? I imagine a lot of people hammer through story missions a lot when first playing while I spread it out to last a good month or so. Maybe the way I play is more suited to this game than other people?

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by wickywoowoo Go to original post
    I only play one or maybe two story missions a night and do side stuff for the rest of my game session. Will my play style fix any pacing issues? I imagine a lot of people hammer through story missions a lot when first playing while I spread it out to last a good month or so. Maybe the way I play is more suited to this game than other people?
    That's my playstyle too. On some days I don't do any story stuff at all, I just get lost in side missions.

My problem with Unity's story wasn't the pacing or presentation, but poor characterization, lack of depth in the love story and the handling of modern day.

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    That's my playstyle too. On some days I don't do any story stuff at all, I just get lost in side missions.

My problem with Unity's story wasn't the pacing or presentation, but poor characterization, lack of depth in the love story and the handling of modern day.
    From what I've read, the modern day will not be substantial enough to make me happy (Modern Day fan for the win) but it already feels a more like an AC game than Black Flag did. It felt like a pirate game with some Assassin crossover.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    When I say 'pacing' I'm not talking about how side missions are mixed with the main campaign. In fact, that is my play style too. I've had Rogue for a few days now and still haven't reached the stage at which he becomes a Templar. Pacing in storytelling terms refers to the time spent between big event to big event. That is, time we spend with certain characters and the general build up to climactic moments. Because Unity is rushed, big moments aren't earned, none of the of the set ups pay off, none of the pay offs are set up and the characters have no depth or development. For instance, there is a big 'betrayal' that comes out of nowhere and means nothing because we never get to establish the relationship between Arno and this other person and thus we don't care. This has nothing to do with whether or not you do side missions in between or not. It's just jarring and poor writing.

Whilst I agree that Unity is way more 'Assassiny' than Black Flag it is still not a true AC game and worse - is constantly pretending it is. You have this ridiculous, over the top initiation ceremony for Arno but it's ridiculed by the fact that Arno doesn't even believe in the Brotherhood's creed and at no point does his main concern become the conflict between the Templars & the Assassins. Characters name drop Altair and give these speeches about 'hiding in plain sight' but it's just to convince players the game has gone back to its roots. Arno is just using the Brotherhood for personal gain and they are nothing more than a backdrop that really play no part in his 'development'.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    "I love Unity so far"
    "It's gonna suck, it's bad"

Why don't you let the guy decide for himself? Mate, you need to understand that what you think is bad or "poor" is your subjective opinion. Nothing you mentioned is fact.

I have only been playing Unity for three days so far and have just finished the second sequence and got my Assassin skills and co-op, etc. I only started it on Monday so I am playing the game after all patches also.

However, I've seen no issues with the gameplay itself, the story (so far) and generally. It feels a lot like AC1 and I thoroughly love it so far. I do not get why people are so negative on this game at all. Is is really because they dislike the game itself or was it due to the issues with the glitches, bugs, etc.

Those criticism are 100% justified but I think if people started this game new, now, like me, they'd enjoy it. I think the game has been overlooked but that is just my opinion.

*Edit - No problems with the App either so far. Am I just extremely lucky here?*
    I really feel that a lot of people played the campaign did not like Arno or the story played 1 match of CO-OP with 4 people instead of just 2 max didn't like it and sh!t canned the game. Now in all fairness I bought the game 3 weeks after launch when Patch 4 was on it way in. I will say if a person is not a fan of the stealth genre then they probably will not like this game. I for one have found it to be the best AC game to date and I am really looking forward to Dead Kings. Also try some 4 and 5 diamond Paris Stories and Social Club Missions. Be sure to renovate all you can from the Café Theatre to the Social Clubs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►