🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Pretty cool. I wonder if the software would still detect properly if you rearranged the chords so they were better suited for the keyboard layout.

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    Wow, pretty sweet.

I assume you don't get any note detection issues with a keyboard right? Chord slides are probably tough though

Also you can probably tune to standard off-tunings (such as D standard, E flat standard) by transposing the keyboard output, but things like drop D, and non-standard E tunings probably can't be done.

Either way, this looks cool

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm with Sh1kamaru as far as the learning of notes on the fretboard. I'm not at all surprised that this works, and I agree with the 6 string chords, though that's not really different than if you played the chords for real outside of Rocksmith. As Sh1kamaru points out, an E major is made of EBEG#BE if you play all 6 strings, but you really only need EBG# to make the chord, so you can play just 3 notes for most chords.

Oli_Skate, you might have a marketable device on your hands. The only thing that I would be careful of is that it has to move in alternate tunings and capo. For example, if I have drop D, all my red locations change. What about Eb drop Db, etc? I think you might be onto something and the wheels should be turning in the heads of the engineers with RS. Think about a keyboard app you could place on a device like an iPad or specially designed keyboard. Now, as tunings change, so do the locations of the note highway on the keyboard. It would not be hard to program at all.

Is there a way to fake some of the guitar-specific techniques like bending, sliding, harmonics, fret muting, etc.?

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by ceestewart Go to original post
    Is there a way to fake some of the guitar-specific techniques like bending, sliding, harmonics, fret muting, etc.?
    Some keyboards have a pitch-modulation wheel which should work for bending. Harmonics you might be able to trick/simulate by playing 1-2 higher octaves in addition to the note.

Is this how the key-tar evolved?

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Very cool Oli Skate! I play Rocksmith using a 10 string Chapman Stick so I'm always interested in stuff like this. The tuning is somewhat different than standard bass or guitar so I gotta do a bit of mental gymnastics to make it work. I s'pose I could make a fancy chart like you did but I'm not sure that it would help, might just be one more thing to stare at LoL

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    I can see doing that for bass or even single note guitar parts, but I'm wondering how the chords will work on the guitar parts.
    The single note stuff works reasonably well but the chords aren't really happening on the Stick, at least not yet. I can play the Root-Third-Fifth but since the Stick has no open strings the rest of the cord isn't recognized by Rocksmith. I could play the open string notes along with the triad but that would require some real talent on the instrument LoL

I'd love to see a "MusicSmith" game that was more user friendly to different instruments. Even a simple "octave detector" that recognized a correct note but in the wrong octave would be useful. You could toggle it on or off in the settings, and it might allow some cool instruments to join the fun.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Pretty clever Oli!

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Pretty clever Oli!

oli_skate's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    Wow, pretty sweet.

I assume you don't get any note detection issues with a keyboard right? Chord slides are probably tough though

Also you can probably tune to standard off-tunings (such as D standard, E flat standard) by transposing the keyboard output, but things like drop D, and non-standard E tunings probably can't be done.

Either way, this looks cool
    You're right about non-standard.

Originally Posted by PRS_Rocker Go to original post
    I'm with Sh1kamaru as far as the learning of notes on the fretboard. I'm not at all surprised that this works, and I agree with the 6 string chords, though that's not really different than if you played the chords for real outside of Rocksmith. As Sh1kamaru points out, an E major is made of EBEG#BE if you play all 6 strings, but you really only need EBG# to make the chord, so you can play just 3 notes for most chords.

Oli_Skate, you might have a marketable device on your hands. The only thing that I would be careful of is that it has to move in alternate tunings and capo. For example, if I have drop D, all my red locations change. What about Eb drop Db, etc? I think you might be onto something and the wheels should be turning in the heads of the engineers with RS. Think about a keyboard app you could place on a device like an iPad or specially designed keyboard. Now, as tunings change, so do the locations of the note highway on the keyboard. It would not be hard to program at all.
    I also made template for drop D, Eb and DADGAD. Your statement is true and rocksmith detect chord pretty well. I have to say it detect everything even better than with a guitar!!!
    dropD

Eb

DADGAD

Originally Posted by ceestewart Go to original post
    Fret muting and hand muting are the only one that can't be done.

And thank you all for your great comment!!

oli_skate's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Pretty clever Oli!
    Thank you Dan. I hope something can be done with this idea!
    Is anyone else playing rocksmith with a keyboard?

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by oli_skate Go to original post
    Your statement is true and rocksmith detect chord pretty well. I have to say it detect everything even better than with a guitar!!!
    Rocksmith detects the chord when you play only the triad?