🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    oli_skate's Avatar Junior Member

How to play piano in rocksmith: my solution

I would like to share something with those of you who want to play with a keyboard. Here is a picture of how I was able to do it! I used an old heyboard (yamaha psr-185) with a headphones/aux out jack. I tried with 3 design and this one is, in my opinion, the easiest one to use. I also did a bass version. I've been playing with it for a couple of month now and it works great. What do you guys think about it?

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I would be interested to see/hear a video of this in action.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Clever! Is that brightly colored piece a photo-shop overlay, or something physical (carboard) that you set on the keyboard?

Tell us more about how it's working, please.

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    Ok I'll try with my cellphone cam!

Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    Clever! Is that brightly colored piece a photo-shop overlay, or something physical (carboard) that you set on the keyboard?

Tell us more about how it's working, please.
    Yes, this one is an overlay because I don't have a printer anymore. I can show you the first design on a piece of wood. It is harder to play with it.
    To play, I just plug the rocksmith cable and set the keyboard on 'E guitar'. Mine is tuned perfectly, so no problem with the tuner. To play bass I emulate it or there is a 'E bass' in keyboard option.

thoman23's Avatar Senior Member
    That's really fascinating to see it laid out visually like that. It's interesting to see how common guitar fingerings translate to the keyboard..obviously have to get used to thinking horizontally to play piano I guess.

As promised. Sorry for the low quality..

Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Very interesting!

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I can see doing that for bass or even single note guitar parts, but I'm wondering how the chords will work on the guitar parts.

I can see doing that for bass or even single note guitar parts, but I'm wondering how the chords will work on the guitar parts.
    It's not easy, but you have to use both hand, 3 notes per hand. Power chord are pretty easy to play. It is like learning guitar, at first chord are hard to perform. I tried panic switch and the chord are playable, but I am clearly not good enough on keyboard to get it right all the time.

shikamaru-'s Avatar Senior Member
    The best way is to learn notes, I suppose. An E major chord on a guitar is EBEAbBE so picture an E*major on a piano with root - third - fifth - octave, then add a root and fifth with the left hand.

clever trick oli_skate ! I think I would use that to know my fretboard better.