Can't purchase songs I want for Rocksmith 2014

Soooo, Why is it that I can't purchase songs I'd really love to play such as "Cowboys From Hell - Pantera" and "You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest" just because the origional game isn't on my steam account? Seems extremely messed up to me that I can't get these songs for Rocksmith 2014 just because I don't have Rocksmith on my steam ... I have it for PS3 -.-

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    It is a Steam limitation.

I know Ubisoft is working with Steam on this issue.

I really think both companies would like to sell you the songs, so it is not something they are just ignoring.

Thanks for the quick reply! I really hope it's fixed soon D:

Stoopid_Trippin's Avatar Member
    I play on PS3 and didn't have the orginal RS when i got those songs. I thought this was only a problem on PC. I dont even have a steam account or use steam. What am I missing here? Are you playing it on both ps3 and pc, and your just saying it will allow you on ps3 and not pc?

Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Enbolition Go to original post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I really hope it's fixed soon D:
    It's been two years.

Originally Posted by Stoopid_Trippin Go to original post
    I play on PS3 and didn't have the orginal RS when i got those songs. I thought this was only a problem on PC. I dont even have a steam account or use steam. What am I missing here? Are you playing it on both ps3 and pc, and your just saying it will allow you on ps3 and not pc?
    The original is on PS3. 2014 is on PC. I'm not gonna buy the same game for PC to get stuff for 2014 lol

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    True about the 2 years ... so I wouldn't wait for the issue to be solved ... it don't look like any fix is soon to be here.

I would wait for a Steam sale on RS1.

And, yes, this only affects PC/Steam; it is not a console issue.

The OP said he is trying to buy these songs on Steam, but only owns RS1 on PS3.

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    True about the 2 years ... so I wouldn't wait for the issue to be solved ... it don't look like any fix is soon to be here.

I would wait for a Steam sale on RS1.

And, yes, this only affects PC/Steam; it is not a console issue.

The OP said he is trying to buy these songs on Steam, but only owns RS1 on PS3.
    Oh... That's really unfortunate =/ I'm probably not gonna buy RS1 even if it's on sale :S But thanks for the info!

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    It's been a problem since the first day RS2014 was released (Oct 2013), so yeah...... I'm sure it'll get cleared up any day now.

Before everyone jumps in with "this is a Steam problem and Ubi is in no way guilty here", etc. here's my expanded position which you are free to attack as you wish:

When I first bought RS2014, I had the exact same question/issue and was upset just like this OP and many, many others who have posted here since that time. After voicing my frustration here, I got the standard line about how this is a Steam issue and I should go ***** on the Steam forums instead. So, that's what I did.... and guess what I heard over there. Over there they say that UbiSoft should have looked into the Steam delivery capabilities further before advertising that if you purchase RS2014 that you could use all the legacy dlc with it as well. Honestly, I can't disagree with that either. Clearly both companies have some responsibility here.

So..... fast forward to 2015 and what has happened regarding this Day-1 issue? Well, Steam has put in the resources to remove the product ownership restriction from many of the RS1 dlc titles so that they can now be purchased. Why did they stop where they did and not do the rest of the songs? I don't know, but I do know that Steam did something to help correct the issue on their end. They put time and money into working on the problem. In the meantime, I'm not aware that UbiSoft has done anything to address this issue for their customers. Neither am I aware that they have changed their advertising to clarify the issue for new customers. If someone can point me to anything that UbiSoft has done besides point the finger at Steam, then I'd be happy to modify or retract my statements.

"Obviously, UbiSoft can't make changes to Steam, so what could they possibly do?" you might ask. Well, they could reimburse or discount the cost of purchasing RS1 for new customers of RS2014. They could also grant credits on dlc downloads in the amount that people are having to spend buying RS1 for the sake of getting access to the older dlc. Maybe there's something else that would accomplish the same thing in a way that would be more palatable to them. Whatever. Bottom line is that they could do something to make this right besides sitting idly by while the RS community continues to put the blame on Steam.

Bring on the apologists.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Enbolition Go to original post
    Oh... That's really unfortunate =/ I'm probably not gonna buy RS1 even if it's on sale :S But thanks for the info!
    Some older dlc songs can be purchased without RS1, but it's hit or miss by title. You might try each of the ones you are interested in separately before giving up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►