MasterAssasin84's Avatar Senior Member

Does a well executed Story make up for mediocre gameplay and mechanics

Ok Guy's what do we all think ?

Ever since the release of AC1 back in 2007 from then on there has been a divide of opinion as to what makes a great Assassins Creed game wether its the plot or gameplay ?

I would be inclined to leave graphics out of the equation for this debate as if its visuals the gamer is looking then they might as well watch a movie .

AC1's core mechanics was very realistic in terms of the climbing and Altair's ergonomics but they seemed to falter when AC2 was released.

After AC3 and Black Flag as much as I really enjoyed the Kenway games I did feel the games mechanics was far too automated and were there was a bit more control over the combat and parkour climbing then they would have been near on perfection but because of the immersive story and amazing settings I was very easily able to look further than that specific criticism .

ACU has gone the complete reverse upscaled mechanics and combat but a complete Mess of the games plot and character development ?

What are your views ?

Megas_Doux's Avatar Senior Member
    It really depends on who do you ask....

Fans that hold AC III their favorite certainly "ignore" the blatantly awful mission design in AC III because that is the most "story driven" game in the franchise. Personally I would love to have both, Unity was a step forwards in terms of the core mechanics, but the story lacked and the release was a total mess.

Again, annualization is to blame.

Originally Posted by Megas_Doux Go to original post
    It really depends on who do you ask....

Fans that hold AC III their favorite certainly "ignore" the blatantly awful mission design in AC III because that is the most "story driven" game in the franchise. Personally I would love to have both, Unity was a step forwards in terms of the core mechanics, but the story lacked....

This is the interesting thing I really loved AC3 because of the setting but i have to be true to myself that the mission structure was not exactly great ! The Assassination contracts was a prime example of that ..

Black Flag improved on those elements whilst the core mechanics was somewhat mediocre and not much of an improvement .

ACU yes mechanics are a step and combat requires a bit more skill and I love the Assassination mission structure and getting creative with your opportunities but the story and character development is a total mess.

Kaschra's Avatar AC Expert
    Yeah, it depends on were your priorities lie.

For me it does, I can easily look past gameplay flaws if I enjoy characters and story enough.
    Doesn't really work the other way for me though.

Originally Posted by Kaschra Go to original post

Which IMO is were ACU has messed up .

Annualistion is the key to deivering an AC game that will give us the fans both, It needs to stop but then again as long as we keep buying the more Ubi will be churning them out .

Namikaze_17's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Kaschra Go to original post
    Yeah, it depends on were your priorities lie.

For me it does, I can easily look past gameplay flaws if I enjoy characters and story enough.
    This.

RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member
    It does for me. I’d rather have an AC which has a gameplay like Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls, where it’s mainly walking and pushing buttons, but amazing story both modern day and historical as well as the First Civ. parts, and everything is interconnected with the overarching story and the lore, than have a game full of new mechanics and gameplay styles like co-op, MP, sailing, and the likes. I’d choose the first in a heartbeat.

The story is the soul of the game. The gameplay comes second for me. I know you might say “then go watch a movie”. But no, it’s different. Here, I’m controlling this movie, and I’m having a much longer time watching the story unfold. I’d love to see good gameplay, that’s for sure, but if there’s no decent story in a franchise that built itself on important stories, interconnected events and a great overarching story and lore, it would definitely feel empty and pointless. However, I wouldn’t react the same if we were talking about Tekken, Devil May Cry or GTA, where the story is the not so important and all we care to see is cool moves and lots of gun fire and epic acrobatics and mechanics.

People still hold the classic ACs with such high regard because they had a wonderful, interconnected story and an episodic nature with amazing protagonists. But with all due respect, none of the new mechanics could make for the lack of modern day, lack of lore and lack of importance in the story.

Originally Posted by RinoTheBouncer Go to original post
    People still hold the classic ACs with such high regard because they had a wonderful, interconnected story and an episodic nature with amazing protagonists. But with all due respect, none of the new mechanics could make for the lack of modern day, lack of lore and lack of importance in the story.

This is exactly what I was trying to understand, ACU had amazing visuals but it was severely lacking in the Story and Plot and I do not how many would agree with but Arno was not exactly great Protagonist .

Its a shame because I was so hyped for the french revolution as Paris was essentially the Home of the Masonic Masonry and on the subject Germaine was probably the un formidable Templar Ive ever encountered in an AC game

But I really enjoyed the new climbing system and the combat but I kind of felt lost in the game in a sense of were is this all heading ? it just felt like a random parkour and combat simulation rather than an Assassins Creed game .

RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by MasterAssasin84 Go to original post
    This is exactly what I was trying to understand, ACU had amazing visuals but it was severely lacking in the Story and Plot and I do not how many would agree with but Arno was not exactly great Protagonist .

But I really enjoyed the new climbing system and the combat but I kind of felt lost in the game in a sense of were is this all heading ? it just felt like a random parkour and combat simulation rather than an Assassins Creed game .
    EXACTLY.

“Where was all this heading?” was the question I kept asking. I loved Arno, to be quite honest and I loved Elise and I loved them both as a couple as well. But the fact that the game was stripped of any lore and any progress to the overarching story or even a purpose and achievement from this particular mission, totally ruined the experience for me.

I loved the Parkour, I loved the characters and I loved the graphics so much. But it’s like all this was a beautifully decorated restaurant, but there was no main course. It’s like we just sat in a beautiful restaurant but the main course which is the lore (which was everything in the classics, ACI to ACIII) is absent. So this whole lavish place was beautiful on it’s own but could not make up for the lack of the main course. While on the other hand, when you order home deliver or any type of take-away food that you love so much and eat it anywhere, it will still be delicious and that’s what used to happen before in the classics when there were no next gen graphics nor too many side missions and co-op or even multiplayer, yet the story itself was more than enough.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    If a game has either, it's a good game to me. I don't look for a good "something" in a game. Both can redeem a game in my eyes. If it has mediocre or uninspired gameplay but a good story, it's a good game and vice versa.All that matters is the experience to me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►