wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    Thank you, bruman54! For the first time I am able to run Riven on my "Hackintosh." SCUMM VM works fine, Riven runs fine, exactly like my original 5-CD set runs on my PPC G3 desktop under Mac OS 9.2.2, and my PPC G5 mid-tower running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (under Classic). No detectable differences between it and the original.

This was a great accomplishment IMHO. Riven is my favorite video game and having it available on my primary computer is very heartening.

FYI, my ""Mini-ITX" computer is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 (3.4 GHz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI (mini-ITX)
    RAM: 16 GB Kingston DDR4
    Storage: (2) Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Graphics: Gigabyte nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC (low profile) - 4 GB VRAM
    Case: Thermaltake SD 101

Firmware: Gigabyte AMI BIOS version F22c
    Software: Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
    Graphics Driver: nVidia 378.05.05.25f06
    SCUMM VM: 2.1.0git841 - g59eeadc (Feb 6 2018 04:49:52)

Kudos!!

---- Bill Strohm

Thanks Bill, appreciate your comments. What goes around comes around. A few years ago, you helped test my Myst IV installer (now obsolete). I'm pleased to be able to return the favour.
    As far as Riven performance is concerned, all credit goes to the team at ScummVM (my contribution is limited to testing and bug reporting... and a wish list!).
    I merely put a package together to simplify the installation side of things.

An update for existing users of the Riven Mac Installer.

The installer was updated today with a newer version of ScummVM (2.1.0git3689 - 15 September 2018), and features a number of changes from past behaviour.

Slot 0 has been reserved for autosaving since autosaving was added to Riven (available since 2.1.0git2291 - 8 June 2018). By default, the installer clears this slot to enable the Autosave feature. If you have a current Autosave, it will be moved to the next available slot by default, where it will behave like any other saved game (you may wish to change its name to avoid confusion). A new Autosave will be created by the game as required.

For some time now, Save/Load/Quit buttons have been added to the Riven Options Menu (F5). These buttons have been removed with this update. These functions continue to be available through the Global Main Menu (Ctrl-F5) and keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-s, Ctrl-o, Cmd-q).

In the past, ScummVM would automatically quit when the game ends. This has been changed to match the behaviour of the original game. The game now ends after the credits clear the screen and the music ends, and then returns to the Riven Start Menu.

This list is non-exhaustive. Other changes exist, including bug fixes, but they're unlikely to impact how you play the game.

Mac OSX 10.13.6 - Unable to Open Installer

Looks like a few people are being this problem. I get the usual "“Riven Mac Installer” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash." message, and even trying to open using the CTRL-click->Open menu on the Finder gives me the same message.

Any suggestions?

The objective here is to remove the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute that's automatically attached to the app when you download it, thus bypassing the security check normally performed by Gatekeeper when an application is opened for the first time.

Basically, there's three options:

1. Click the “?” button on the dialog displaying the message and follow the link for instructions to bypass Gatekeeper.

2. Reinstate the missing “Anywhere” option in the General section of the Security and Privacy preference pane of System Preferences.

You will need a user account with admin privileges to perform these steps:

- Open the Terminal application (located in the Applications folder).
    - At the prompt, type the following command to disable Gatekeeper.
    sudo spctl --master-disable
    - Hit the Return key.
    - Enter your administrator password when prompted (just keep typing, your keystrokes won’t be acknowledged on screen), then hit the Return key again.
    - Type exit to end the Terminal session.

If you return to the Security & Privacy preference pane, you’ll now see a third option (Anywhere) under the section headed ‘Allow apps downloaded from’.
    If it's not already selected, click the padlock, type in your password, then select Anywhere. You have now successfully disabled Gatekeeper.

Note that once the installer has been successfully launched, Gatekeeper won't check it again. After confirming that the game launches as well, I'd recommend re-enabling Gatekeeper by selecting one of the other options to keep your Mac secure. The Anywhere setting will always be there if you need it.

3. Remove the quarantine attribute directly from the installer by using the Terminal application.

This is the preferred option since it doesn't affect the overall security settings of your Mac. Gatekeeper simply ignores the installer and its contents.

As with Option2, you'll need administrator privileges here as well (if you're not sure about this, the user account you created when you first set up your Mac has admin privileges).

- At the prompt, type the following command:
    xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine
    - Insert a space immediately after the command, then drag the Installer's icon into the Terminal window (this will automatically complete the path to the app).
    The complete command will look similar to this:
    xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/Riven\ Mac\ Installer.app
    - Hit the Return key and end the session as noted in Option 2..

It's possible that you may need to precede the command with the term sudo (as in Option 2), but I found that it worked without it. If the Terminal throws an error, just type sudo followed by a space, then complete the command as described above.

Just to say a big thankyou.. I'm happily using Riven on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 - thx for the installer, it's great to play this again !

One thing though - I noticed that v2.1.0git in the installer is only 32bit - and so not compatible with the upcoming new MacOS 10.15 which is soon to be released. The latest file showing for download on the ScummVM site is 2.0.0 - which is 64bit. It seems strange that 2.1 isn't 64bit seeing as it's the next version up ?

Thx again

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234