I definitely have given this thought and I know a few concept albums that would be a ton of fun on Rocksmith, hopefully one day we can get some albums

The_Penguin222's Avatar Senior Member
    Some albums really beg to be played entirely.
    Now and then a great song will come on the radio, and you naturally expect the next track from the album, even though it's been years since you heard it.

I would love to see this. Implement albums and at the same time implement an organizer tool to sort songs into "collections". that would make it a lot easier to find the music you want, when you want it.

thequickmind's Avatar Senior Member
    Personally, whenever I buy a tab book, I like to play through the whole album, so it only seems natural to want to play whole albums in Rocksmith. I've seen the developers state in the past that they were not interested in pursuing full albums, or at least, it wasn't in the immediate future. As a music fan and purist, I am saddened by this, but from a practical standpoint, I understand that it is really not a lucrative idea. I remember seeing a few full albums released as DLC in Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I know that there are a few bands who self-publish tab books for their albums, or bands that share their record label. So its not like some musicians aren't interested in people learning their material. In the end, I suppose it all comes down to whether or not a satisfactory deal can be reached.

kidmeatball's Avatar Senior Member
    There is also the issue of demand. I suspect that singles are much more lucrative for Ubisoft. While I stand with you guys, I'm an album guy, but the reality is so much more music is purchased by the slice. That is pretty much the model for itunes, its all about the singles. Pulling numbers out of my nether reigions, I bet twice as many people buy singles than even 5 song packs. If you extend the size of those packs to an album ~10 songs, you'll see even less people buying the whole thing. You basically end up with a bunch of popular songs which would probably be the singles from the original album release, and a bunch of lethargic sales on the deep tracks. It ends up with a lot of work for the notetrackers that doesn't yeild much return. And thats assuming you can get the publishers to go along with the deal.

zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    The full-album experience is something that has been lost to digital media. There are select albums that are engineered to be listened to in one sitting. Part of the standard music culture was to put on a record, a pair of headphones and page through the album art and lyrics for both sides of the LP. Song order was a big deal with creating music, and certain bands would compose and arrange songs with song order in mind.
    Those days are gone, and it seems that only a few audiophiles and music zealots seem to be putting in effort to abandon convenience and experience music the way that we use to.
    I would imagine that a higher percentage of older RS fans would be in favor of full albums: the analog generation - it is what a lot of us grew up with. That request is likely less important to young folk.

I am not trying to request anything in the following message. Just trying to understand/discuss.

[dlc request portion removed .... saying it is not a request does make it not a request ... leave asking for specific albums and artists out of your posts]

The reason I even bumped this thread is because I constantly find myself wanting more of the same from RS 2014 instead of new (possibly hopeless) artists. I feel like they might be able to hit some of the current artists up for more easier than acquiring new ones.

So that was deleted for mentioning an artist on the game and how one of their CD's was given away for free as a download.

You would think licensing would be easier on free albums right?

Originally Posted by DREWBAA Go to original post
    So that was deleted for mentioning an artist on the game and how one of their CD's was given away for free as a download.

You would think licensing would be easier on free albums right?
    Why? They still own the rights for the songs. It would still go through the same process... RS asking for rights would be no different from a car manufacturer or something. Can you see a car manufacturer saying "Hey, guys, you gave this album away free, so we should be able to use it in our commercial free, too... Right?" I don't think so.

I'm not much of a full album guy. There have been a couple by artists already in RS (Seether, Shinedown) where I listen to the entire album, but would never expect RS to do those albums. They just aren't popular like that. To even seek to sell a whole album as DLC, that album would have to be totally iconic... I guess, looking at the best selling albums of all time, there are some that I could see that happening for... Interestingly enough, some of the entries in that list at the top are ones that seem persnickety about full albums. I'm sure that RS has already approached them, though (since they're in the top 40), and we all know you can lead a horse to water, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...selling_albums