Idea: 5-star RATING system for DLC (like PSN or Amazon has for songs)

In the interest of helping people make informed buying decisions, how about RS including some kind of user-based 5-star Rating system for DLC?

That would be a big help; otherwise we get into "loud vocal forum posts by a few". I know PSN has a built-in rating system, but oddly it seems almost everything gets 5-star ratings, not sure if it's accurate.

It would be helpful to see what several hundred+ RS DLC buyers vote (on a 5-star rating) on individual tracks. Is that a good idea?

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Steam has user ratings/reviews for everything in the store.

I would assume Xbox and PS have the same in their stores.

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    A star rating system might be useful to some, but I prefer to watch and hear the YouTube videos if I'm undecided about a song. That way I can see the charts and hear the music and form my own opinion before I buy it (or not).

A big thank you to those of you who post DLC videos so quickly after a release. Makes my decision a lot easier

Femacejo's Avatar Member
    The Xbox side does have a 5-star rating. Users can rate the individual song or the packs.

Looking at the DLC list on my Xbox page, last song/DLC that got any star review was Bon Jovi (4 Stars, 11 votes).

On a side note, I have yet to rate any song/DLC. Just never took the time . . . but maybe I will start now . . . .

b_lex's Avatar Member
    Are you actually willing to try some new dlc outside of your comfort zone, based on other user's opinions?
    Or are you just looking for another method to harp on anything that is not classic rock or in E standard?

The dlc I buy from ps store I always rate 5 star - because I know I like the music already.
    If I'm on the fence about particular tracks, I go to http://www.theriffrepeater.com/ to view the charts before purchase. Not only that but they provide a heads up on what tunings you can expect that week. If it warrants a purchase in my personal opinion, then I will still give it 5-stars, as I imagine others would do.

I don't know, from what I've seen, you aren't very open to trying new stuff, regardless of how many other users have attempted to sway your opinion... Would a rating system change that for you?

For the record, I have no issue buying dlc from E-standard to Drop C.

Originally Posted by flynlion Go to original post
    A star rating system might be useful to some, but I prefer to watch and hear the YouTube videos if I'm undecided about a song. That way I can see the charts and hear the music and form my own opinion before I buy it (or not).

A big thank you to those of you who post DLC videos so quickly after a release. Makes my decision a lot easier

Good idea, agree the videos are a big help. It seems odd to me that there's No 3-star DLC reviews on PSN that I've seen, virtually everything is 5-star, which is not realistic. And sure re buying DLC outside my comfort zone if it a) has good ratings and b) the video looks good (and it's in std E). Just thinking a transparent/honest/good 5-star rating system here on the forum? may help.

agree re riffrepeater very helpful site, to check if it's in std E tuning or not

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    It might be helpful if they only allowed people who actually bought the dlc to rate it, but I wouldn't find it helpful for people who don't like and didn't even buy or play that song to 1-star it and pull the rating down.

Honestly though, I think a star rating would be simplistic and redundant for people that regularly spend time here on these forums. Every week people discuss the songs, post videos, and watch the developers play and talk about them live on a broadcast stream. If someone can't make an informed decision based on all that information that they have available every week, then what more would a 3.75-star rating provide?

A star rating system would provide no context. Is it being down rated because it is to easy for an advanced player? To hard for a new player? Person rating hates this genre so down votes all of it. Etc.

Listen to the song, watch the video's on youtube do a tiny amount of research. You will make much more informed decisions than based of a star rating.

This is a tough one, because I think a lot of people would judge the DLC based on whether they like the song, artist or genre - regardless of the (also subjective?) quality/accuracy/difficulty of the tracking or playthrough.

yeah on 2nd thought you're likely right... and I totally agree 'working man' re only those who bought it should be able to vote... and that's how PSN rating is set up anyways... so maybe my thread call to action should be "vote your honest feedback" on psn/xbox/steam...

even better, then based on what you guys say is, "hey somebody please post youtube videos asap for all new-release DLC", that's probably best. that's why i bought 'mountain' dlc last week since video looked good