killerman_2012's Avatar Member

A Present Without Direction and Unfinished Stories

Hi, I want to unburden myself and telling you what I think about the decisions that Ubisoft have made about the franchise.

Since Desmond's death, AC have lost its direction. Now we have not a main character in the present. We only have games set in the past without a clear objective to reach.

In my opinion, one of the best attributes of the franchise was the fact to relive ancestors memories to achieve a goal in the present. That was the main conection between each game of the franchise from AC1 to AC3. But since AC4 the modern-day storyline has become irrelevant.

I thought that ACU could reverse the situation. But it was worst than AC4.
    Spoiler:  Show
    The present storyline was only cinematics and Juno doesn't appeared (neither another TWCB). There was not progress at all.

But that is not all. The present is not the only problem we have. Ubisoft is leaving many loose ends and unfinished stories. For example, we don't know what happened with Connor after the Revolutionary War. And now, with the announcement of Victory, it's clear that Arno and Shay won't have an ending either. what is the matter? why not a sequel set during the Napoleonic Wars (for example) to close the Connor/Arno/Shay story?

So I'm very dissapointed about the direction that the franchise has adopted. There's no connection between the new games. It's as if the writers did not know how to continue the story. I was hopeful with Unity, but now I don't believe in Ubisoft anymore.

Thanks for reading my opinion. I want to know if someone thinks the same.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member

It's threads like these that make me proud to be part of the AC fandom.

Knowing there are fans out there who call out glaring problems.

Namikaze_17's Avatar Senior Member
    What is this like the third Thread about Character's endings?

I'm all for finishing them off, but let's just be patient and see what happens.

No offense to the OP, though. ^^

Agreed. I use to be a proud supporter of this series. Especially after AC2 the franchise was incredibly respected by the gaming community.

Nowadays it's just been nothing more than a cash-cow, and my interest has been diminishing ever since.

I'll still probably get the games for some time (because I still find them fun), but there is no doubt that the story presentation has been diminishing.

Not only is the story-telling getting worse, but the fact that the characters never get a conclusion just makes them un-interesting.

The fact that the next character in Victory will unlikely get a conclusion has already reduced by interest in him. It doesn't even have to be made into a game. It could just be a page on AC Wiki for all I care. Over 2 years later and we still don't know how Connor's life ended, or what he did (all we have are tiny tidbits that mean almost nothing).

In terms of graphics, animations, sound design, size, ambition the games are doing fantastic. In terms of story-telling, writing and music though the games are diminishing. I just wish they'd respect the franchise again instead of seeing it as the next big cash cow.

I've also realised after playing lot's of other games this year that AC is falling behind the times. Unity served as a good building block but everything really needs to be expanded upon. Combat, parkour and stealth need more depth. Character customisation needs refining, new innovations need to be brought in (alternate endings, player choice, level up system, more choice in style of play etc). Also the map needs to be more varied. Having one city is cool for a while, but feels repetitive fairly quickly. That's why AC1, 2, 3 and 4 were the funnest to explore. Because the locations were so varied

Just realised I've gone way off topic, but nonetheless I think what I've said is fair.

TLDR; More focus on story and writers rather than gimmicks like grappling hook. Incorporate more RPG and stealth elements. Bring in meaningful innovation.

I still enjoy the franchise, but I would remiss to ignore the worrying direction it's going. The franchise still has a lot of potential to innovate and redeem itself, but the yearly releases are clearly prohibiting this.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think a conclusion for the characters is necessary (it's welcome, but not necessary), the modern days set a goal and when this goal is reached we are done with the ancestor and this is how it has been working since AC1, unfortunately, like mentioned by the OP this goal became uninteresting/irrelevant when they decided to put ourselves as the protagonists or a random character with no voice or personality (AC4/ACRo's case).

and before someone mentions Ezio or Altair, like I said, ACB and ACR also set a goal that needs to be reached, they just used Ezio because he was popular, but it could've been anyone, and in Altair's defense, the guy changed the Order globably and while what we saw in the memory seals didn't serve any real purpose (for the modern days), the reason stated before IMO is enough to give him a "proper" ending (even thinking the seals' memories were too short)...

I'd just be happy if the main story made any sense. When an Assassin's Creed game leaves you wondering, "Wait. How is he an assassin now?", like Unity did with no explanation whatever about the fact that
    Spoiler:  Show
    Arno was magically given back all his assassin equipment after he was fired from the Assassin Order,
    something is very wrong.

What I suspect happened is that the game was so far from being finished that some main story cut-scenes and missions were not even complete when they were forced to release the game. I think people would be shocked if they knew how far from finished this game truly is.

So I suspect that they intended to have a modern day component to this story. But like so many other things, it was cut because they had to get the game published in November 2014.

KPRage's Avatar Member
    You know, this entire situation would not be in existence, had Patrice Désilets been allowed to continue on the franchise instead of being kicked out TWICE by Ubisoft.

This whole screw-up, including the plot-line, characters, settings and the like, has been because the people who made the decision to remove him from their company are fools who only see money in the place of complete, perfect storylines and games that their fans enjoy. I want Desmond back. I want closure for Connor, training for Arno and more adventures with Shay. But I also want consistency. A real reason to be exploring the memories of these people, not just to scavenge for a bloodline that I'm never going to meet. Screw self-immersion. I want to be someone looking for something through someone else's eyes. Not just a guy looking through memories because he was asked to.

Originally Posted by KPRage Go to original post
    You know, this entire situation would not be in existence, had Patrice Désilets been allowed to continue on the franchise instead of being kicked out TWICE by Ubisoft.
    And, by firing him the second time, they consigned 1666 (the game that was set to be the successor to Assassin's Creed) to the trash heap. I'll never forgive Ubisoft for that.

KPRage's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Pr0metheus 1962 Go to original post
    And, by firing him the second time, they consigned 1666 (the game that was set to be the successor to Assassin's Creed) to the trash heap. I'll never forgive Ubisoft for that.
    Exactly. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Désilets' new developer release an amazing game that will take a dump on Victory and everything else that Ubi releases that year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►