Jayrocksd's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by OnicaBonica Go to original post
    OK, whatever you say. 16 million worldwide sales (according to Wikipedia) doesn't scream megahit to me. But remember music is subjective.
    My self titled album has 16 million worldwide sales (according to Wikipedia)

EDIT: Apparently that page has been taken down, and I no longer have rights to modify Wikipedia pages.

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm exactly the same. Doesn't look like there'll be Dire Straits DLC until after Christmas. :'(
    We've still got Tuesday Dec 23, between Jimi's DLC day and Christmas day. I'm hopeful

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by flynlion Go to original post
    We've still got Tuesday Dec 23, between Jimi's DLC day and Christmas day. I'm hopeful
    Except they mentioned that Jimi was the last DLC in Dec, so I wouldn't hold my breath for too long before exhaling

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    Except they mentioned that Jimi was the last DLC in Dec, so I wouldn't hold my breath for too long before exhaling
    Ahh ok, I didn't know that. How about Dire Straits as first DLC of 2015!

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    Sure, that works for me

OK, whatever you say. 16 million worldwide sales (according to Wikipedia) doesn't scream megahit to me. But remember music is subjective.
    Music is subjective but album sales are not. A gold record is 500,000 copies sold and a platinum record is 1,000,000 copies sold, so yes, RATM are a megahit band.

OnicaBonica's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by kingratt Go to original post
    Music is subjective but album sales are not. A gold record is 500,000 copies sold and a platinum record is 1,000,000 copies sold, so yes, RATM are a megahit band.
    Maybe I was wrong then. But as I said, gimme the only one everyone knows. Uncensored.

OnicaBonica's Avatar Member
    That works for me as well! And please, for all that is holy, don't include Dire Straits in a singles week.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    I think people are confusing 'Mega-hits' artist with 'Top 40 Most Requested' artist.

But yeah, I'll take that one song that everyone knows. If it isn't censored.
    Megahits -- I dealt with this weeks ago, but people take words far too literally in this forum, and there has yet to be a positive outcome from overanalyzing a word. We have debated the meaning of the words "hit," "megahit" and "legendary" for no real purpose or mutual understanding. Paul chose the word "megahit" because the artists in question were, to him (and I happen to agree), recognizable, successful artists that are very well known in their fields. Now that you can see how many of the artists in the so-called "megahit" period come from the top 40 most requested song list, it should not even be a point of semantic discussion. They're big bands -- commercially successful and recognizable in their genres. Sales, YouTube and Spotify plays speak for themselves -- but so did Rocksmith players. These are not only successful artists in their own right, but they are specifically Rocksmith's megahit artists as determined by Rocksmith's own audience. It's kind of pointless to separate the terms. It's kind of pointless to argue the whole point, in my opinion.

Censorship: We use the editions of the songs that are supplied to us by the artists/label/license holders. We are not allowed to deviate from this. Radio/edited versions often solve issues for us with international audiences, where strong language is a big deal in one part of the world and not a big deal in another. (There were both radio and album versions of Pearl Jam and Blink-182 songs, for instance -- and it was a mess on the production side.) So if the artist supplies us with the edited/radio version, that's the one we use. If they send us the album version, that's the one we use. But it's impossible to rage against a censorship machine or defend the artist's creative freedom if the artist supplies the edited track. It's their song, whether you want it to use strong language or not. And at the end of the day, Rocksmith is a guitar & bass learning tool, and the notes are what we want to deliver most. The only F that really counts in this context comes between E and G on the musical scale.

I think people are confusing 'Mega-hits' artist with 'Top 40 Most Requested' artist.

But yeah, I'll take that one song that everyone knows. If it isn't censored.
    Megahits -- I dealt with this weeks ago, but people take words far too literally in this forum, and there has yet to be a positive outcome from overanalyzing a word. We have debated the meaning of the words "hit," "megahit" and "legendary" for no real purpose or mutual understanding. Paul chose the word "megahit" because the artists in question were, to him (and I happen to agree), recognizable, successful artists that are very well known in their fields. Now that you can see how many of the artists in the so-called "megahit" period come from the top 40 most requested song list, it should not even be a point of semantic discussion. They're big bands -- commercially successful and recognizable in their genres. Sales, YouTube and Spotify plays speak for themselves -- but so did Rocksmith players. These are not only successful artists in their own right, but they are specifically Rocksmith's megahit artists as determined by Rocksmith's own audience. It's kind of pointless to separate the terms. It's kind of pointless to argue the whole point, in my opinion.

Censorship: We use the editions of the songs that are supplied to us by the artists/label/license holders. We are not allowed to deviate from this. Radio/edited versions often solve issues for us with international audiences, where strong language is a big deal in one part of the world and not a big deal in another. (There were both radio and album versions of Pearl Jam and Blink-182 songs, for instance -- and it was a mess on the production side.) So if the artist supplies us with the edited/radio version, that's the one we use. If they send us the album version, that's the one we use. But it's impossible to rage against a censorship machine or defend the artist's creative freedom if the artist supplies the edited track. It's their song, whether you want it to use strong language or not. And at the end of the day, Rocksmith is a guitar & bass learning tool, and the notes are what we want to deliver most. The only F that really counts in this context comes between E and G on the musical scale.

BTW, we have approached Dire Straits (and hundreds of other artists) and we do not currently have their permission to include them in the game. Same goes for Metallica, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and pretty much every other very popular or influential rock band you can think of. We are hopeful that some of these artists will want to be involved in the future; we have seen some artists change their mind and we hope that the more Rocksmith continues to establish itself, the artists who are less interested may become more interested.

Time will tell -- but just so you know, it's not because we didn't think to ask them. The music you love, respect, and want to play is the music that we love, respect, and want to play.

bit.ly/rsprocess

BTW, we have approached Dire Straits (and hundreds of other artists) and we do not currently have their permission to include them in the game. Same goes for Metallica, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and pretty much every other very popular or influential rock band you can think of. We are hopeful that some of these artists will want to be involved in the future; we have seen some artists change their mind and we hope that the more Rocksmith continues to establish itself, the artists who are less interested may become more interested.

Time will tell -- but just so you know, it's not because we didn't think to ask them. The music you love, respect, and want to play is the music that we love, respect, and want to play.

bit.ly/rsprocess