jkk89's Avatar First 1700 ELO! Hooah!

[S] Garant 5/4/4 Mid-range/Control

I was trying to make Garant work again and first I try to play it like before 5/2/4 but I add Bound Succubus. Then I try more rushy version 3/2/4. I never try version with TJ to be honest, but I thought that it should be always inferior to Kal Azaar anyway.
    Finally I return to my original idea of playing it like before, but since we are in more control heavy meta I add more late game cards in here and 2 Golden Horseshoes (yes, I try Scarification 1st and Golden Horseshoe is still better). Since I go 5/3/3 for Golden Horseshoe I may aswell play Ariana. Altar of Asha is also here. Requirements 5/4/4 seems enourmous, but its same as for Kat. And with Time of Need U can play either Ariana or Altar of Asha, so that way U will (almost) never need to actually rise to 5/4/4 (5/3/4 or 5/4/3 is usually enough). I resigned from Bound Succubus cause w/o Osmotic Breeders and with Hellfire Maniacs alone whole deck die to 1 Arkath. I also cut almost all 3 drops, as I think playing much 3 drops is good for rush deck or mid-range decks. Since I aimed for more control heavy version I could focus on 4 drops and 5 drops and other tools. There is still whole 16 2-drops in the deck. So on turn 1,2,3 I can simply play with 2 drops. From 3 drops I play Swelling Breeder (much synergy with breeders, magic channel, strong defense + survive Arkath Wrath, so best choice for this deck) and 2 Urjuballs just for even more early defense. I play 4 Osmotic Breeders to survive Arkath, 4 Maniac Taskmaster to discard and 4 Hellfire Maniacs to play for board attrition. Deck can compete against heavy control decks like Kal Azaar in the very late game. It is all because of this good proportions of 5+ HP creatures + 2 Golden Horseshoe + discards and ****load of uniques. In fact, in most games, U should have huge card advantage, even against Time Jump decks. I just create deck to make total advantage of starting stats. This Garant build is in fact very simillar to my Kal-Azaar build. In my Kal-Azaar I also play 16 2 drops + 2 Swelling Breeders + 2 Urjuballs. I find that to be the best combination of creatures for control Inferno decks.

This deck isnt better than Kal-Azaar, but it is pretty damn close to its power level. It can win all the matchups.

Hero (5/4/4)
    1x Garant, Seeker of Discord

Events (8)
    4x Week of the Dead
    3x Rise of the Nethermancer
    1x Cosmic Balance

Creatures (36)
    4x Hellfire Bloater
    4x Chaos Lacerator
    4x Lurker in the Dark
    1x Moon Phoenix
    4x Hatching Breeder
    2x Swelling Breeder
    2x Ur-Jubaal's Minion
    4x Maniac Taskmaster
    4x Osmotic Breeder
    1x Doom Bringer
    4x Hellfire Maniac
    1x Hikyu, Chosen of the Flames
    1x Ariana, Chosen of the Void

Spells (5)
    2x Fire Bolt
    3x Forked Firebolt

Fortunes (9)
    1x Garant's Purge
    4x Campfire
    2x Golden Horseshoe
    1x Altar of Asha
    1x Time of Need

Garant vs Kal-Azaar example duel with commentary http://youtu.be/5CPITLZx_TQ

LurifaxB's Avatar MMDoC Legend
    Cool JKK. I really like the video with explanation of your choices. That is worth watching for any DoC player as it gives good insight into the matchup from a top player perspective.

How is the deck doing in general? Is it working well? Can it do something other Inferno Decks can't?

jkk89's Avatar First 1700 ELO! Hooah!
    Originally Posted by LurifaxB Go to original post
    Cool JKK. I really like the video with explanation of your choices. That is worth watching for any DoC player as it gives good insight into the matchup from a top player perspective.

How is the deck doing in general? Is it working well? Can it do something other Inferno Decks can't?
    Yea it can. For example it just crashes basically any Haven/Sanct deck. Like for example, I played vs Soularmadyl Cass with it and then with Kal-Azaar and while Kal vs Cass game was super close and could go both ways if I wasnt tired, I still lose at the end, but with this Garant, even tho I get awful hand (only 4+ drops) I still won pretty much easly. They have no chance against standard Hellfire Maniacs + discards build. So thats that. U can even assume is close to actual 90% against those 2 factions (as the factions play for actual board attrition and nothing is better in board attrition than H.Maniac). Against Inferno rushes it does pretty much the same as Kal-Azaar (could be even better because of Campfires). Because of Discards + Garant Purge and more 5+ HP units it has favorable matchup against Dhamiria Mass Rage/Immo, the very matchup where Kal-Azaar struggle the most.
    So as U can see, this deck pretty much wins the matchups that are hard for Kal-Azaar, so if meta would shift more toward those (Haven, Sanct, stall) then it would be actually better than Kal-Azaar. I also played vs Necro Frozen Wave decks and had no problem with Garant, but I must admit I never had problem with Kal-Azaar either. Strange, cause while I play with Namtaru FrozenWave myself, I was usually winning vs Inferno control. Its really hard for me to objectively judge matchups...
    The worst matchup for this Garant should be Kal-Azaar himself, but I just show it can be done. Also the whole Stronghold faction should be like 50/50 (judging on my past experience). Not sure about Nahla, U would need some luck with discards. Normally Kal should do better against those.