SkyChimp's Avatar Senior Member
    From Naval Aviation News, January, 1947

Regards,

From Naval Aviation News, January, 1947

Regards,

As a kid, I had a chance to watch the second rendition of the Blue Angels at Olathe NAS in Bearcats. I believe Butch Voorhees was leading the group then. They took off as a group, climbed out of sight, then reappeared in a high-speed, low level pass down the runway, rotated into a vertical climb that shook the ground and delivered their own version of "shock and awe" as they climbed wingtip to wingtip into a high cloud layer.

I'm not sure of the year, but it seems to me it was about 1950. I was very young, but never forgot the feeling of utter wonder at these birds.

Forty-five years later, I took in an airshow near Minneapolis that included two restored Bearcats. Funny how they seemed nearly as impressive to me then.

Having said all that, there are other planes I would rather to see flyable in PF. It seems to me less important to see a high-performance fighter that didn't participate than a full complement of Japanese and allied aircraft that did.

"And now I see with eye serene/The very pulse of the machine;
    A being breathing thoughtful breath,/A Traveller between life and death."
    -- William Wordsworth

Mind you armour and ammo had been removed and fuel load at less than half capacity (to maintain centre of gravity).

Setup pretty usual for flying display aircraft.

That's not correct. Armor was NOT removed. The plane was a stock F8F-1 Bearcat except that it was modified to achieve combat power with the gears down, which was otherwise not possible. That was the only modification. Otherwise, it was a run-of-the mill service F8F-1. The plane carried all armor, guns (sans ammo) and all naval arresting gear.

The exhibition was called Operation Pogostick. The F8F-1 was flown at the air races along with a stock Ryan Fireball. Here is a picture of the planes and pilots I got from Richard Leonards son:

Regards,

[This message was edited by SkyChimp on Sun May 02 2004 at 06:43 PM.]

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    i flew a bearcat one time .....man that s.o.b scratched me all to pieces

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Bear behind me I would climb fast too

Aztek_Eagle's Avatar Banned
    doesnt matter, we wont have bearcat at least it is done by 3rd party

I didn't post this because I'd like an F8F in PF, I just thought it was interesting.

Regards,

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    thats all right we wont need it. just give me a parachute and a winchester ill be an ace in no time lol