SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

I have come to a conclusion about Unity (no spoilers)

I have concluded.... that people don't actually know what they want from AC anymore.

For years, people complained about the combat being easy to the point of boredom.

So Unity made combat harder.

Now people complain the combat is too hard.

For years, people begged for co-op.

Unity gave us co-op.

People complain that co-op isn't fun unless you play with friends instead of randoms. (Which is totally not a complaint you can make about literally every single co-op game ever made.)

For years, people complained that the stealth was too simplistic and practically nonexistent.

Unity made stealth more challenging and rewarding, and gave us both a cover system and a dedicated crouch button. Guards now remember you after a fight and the "last known position" mechanic draws them towards your position.

People complain that stealth is now too hard.

For years, people complained that the series is too stale and afraid to let go of existing systems.

Unity gave us dedicated buttons for crouching and cover and removed things like whistling and picking up bodies which would likely have messed with the renewed aspects of stealth. In the old games it was already annoying when Ezio started to pick up a body in the middle of a fight. Imagine that being a factor in Unity with the crouch and cover buttons.

Now people complain that Unity didn't bring back enough old systems. To recap: AC doesn't do enough to reinvent itself, but when it does, people say it doesn't play the same way it has since 2007.

For years, people begged for a French Revolution setting.

Unity took us there.

People complain about being confined to Paris instead of sailing the open seas.

For years, people begged for the ability to go inside buildings.

Unity allows you to enter buildings.

People complain it's "too hard" to enter windows.

For years, people complained about "the Gump factor", about the protagonist being conveniently thrown into every major historical event.

Unity makes the historical era more of a backdrop for a personal story.

People complain that the protagonist isn't involved enough in every major historical event.

For years, people complained about Desmond being boring and telling Ubi to just scrap modern day altogether. "Just make it a historical adventure with no Animus stuff", they said.

Unity makes modern day almost entirely nonexistent.

People complain that Ubi needs to bring modern day back.

For years, people asked for a return of open-ended assassinations like in the early games.

Unity's assassinations are more open than ever before.

People complain that mission design sucks and they should go back to a more cinematic approach.

For years, people begged for more in-depth character customization.

Unity has literally hundreds of customization combinations.

People complain that after buying the costliest pieces armor, there's no reason to get the lower-stats armor anymore. (Which....is kind of how armor works in every game?)

For years, people complained they wanted livelier NPCs, with random events, bigger crowds and natural involvement with their environment.

Unity has all of that.

People complain that the large crowds are a "gimmick", that random events get boring fast, and nobody seems to care or notice that NPCs now do things like draw attention to a commotion, recognize and greet Arno, have their own routines and actually interact with each other instead of just being stock animations.

For years, people complained that the assassin order didn't feel like a real order anymore - that instead of being a "proper" secret society with robes and ceremonies like in Altaïr and Ezio's time, it had become too mundane.

Unity made the assassin brotherhood more pompous and ceremonial than ever before. The council wore fancy robes, they had a gold-plated, secret underground lair with assassin insignia plastered all over the place. The ultimate armor is basically a black version of Altaïr's robes which is something modders have been dreaming of for ages. Statues of historical assassins line up every hallway.

People complain that the assassins are now too poncey and aloof.

In summary: for years, people have cried out for an AC game that brings back urban gameplay, renews parkour, has dynamic weather, more rewarding stealth, more challenging combat, more advanced AI, open-ended assassinations, co-op (including freeroam), animals, distraction tools, a meaningful brotherhood, disguise system, weapon and armor stats, natural crowds, multiple time eras within one game, meaty side content, reinvented modern day, etc. etc.

Unity has all of that. And what's been the fan response?

"Too little, too late."

Jesus H. Christ, you people really don't know what you want anymore, do you?

NOTE: I'm only talking about gameplay and story elements, not the technical issues or social connectivity BS. Those things deserve every criticism. But apparently even if the game worked exactly as intended for everyone, it still would be regarded as a failure, despite delivering everything the previews promised.

I haven't played Unity yet,but aside from the bugs and glitches(based on what people are talking about),it seems like a good AC.I think people complain about franchises every release.Except HL.It's sort of a tradition,really.
    Oh and by the way,reinventing modern days...yea...that happened in AC4.Mostly because of AC3's ending.I never complained about MD,because I know it can go very good if changed,but it can go very bad as well.

Xstantin's Avatar Senior Member
    Awesome post. I guess nobody knows what would make a perfect AC game.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Absolutely agree. Especially on the Assassination mission part, that falls into general mission design too when people complain 'every mission is the same' despite the fact every mission can be completed differently. I don't get it, is it better to have a bunch of linear missions which require no player input and have you doing things irrelevant to being an Assassin? Apparently so.

The Brotherhood complaints really get me too, the Assassin Council was the ultimate fan service. I actually thought it was a bit much but thought "hey people have been asking for a return to this type of Brotherhood, so at least they'll like it." Nope. Another thing to nonsensically complain about I guess.

In a way though, I guess this is due to the fact it took them too long to finally make a focused AC like Unity. Too many fans had been gained who enjoyed the Grand Theft Gondola approach (as you wonderfully put it ) by the time Unity rolled around.

But yes, apart from the bugs and BS locked content - Unity's poor reception makes no sense to me.

I-Like-Pie45's Avatar Senior Member
    SixKeys this is very profound

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Here is what's wrong with your argument:

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I have concluded.... that people don't actually know what they want from AC anymore.

For years, people complained about the combat being easy to the point of boredom.

So Unity made combat harder.

Now people complain the combat is too hard.
    No. People complained that the mechanics were bugged. Arno doesn't know when he's in combat or not. If you press dodge he'll take cover, if you press parry he'll sheath his weapon. If you move a few steps back he'll walk away. Combat being harder is awesome. Glitched combat is not.

For years, people begged for co-op.

Unity gave us co-op.

People complain that co-op isn't fun unless you play with friends instead of randoms. (Which is totally not a complaint you can make about literally every single co-op game ever made.)
    No. People complained that Ubisoft put the sync points in co-op so if you want to fully level up you're forced to play with others online. Co-Op should be optional not compulsory.

For years, people complained that the stealth was too simplistic and practically nonexistent.

Unity made stealth more challenging and rewarding, and gave us both a cover system and a dedicated crouch button. Guards now remember you after a fight and the "last known position" mechanic draws them towards your position.

People complain that stealth is now too hard.
    No, people complain that the cover system is inconsistent. Sometimes Arno springs in to cover, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he's able to move from cover to cover, sometimes not. Sometimes he leaves cover in a crouch, sometimes he'll outright stand up. Then there's the fact that he has to leave cover just to get round the other side of the table which he shouldn't have to do.

For years, people complained that the series is too stale and afraid to let go of existing systems.

Unity gave us dedicated buttons for crouching and cover and removed things like whistling and picking up bodies which would likely have messed with the renewed aspects of stealth. In the old games it was already annoying when Ezio started to pick up a body in the middle of a fight. Imagine that being a factor in Unity with the crouch and cover buttons.

Now people complain that Unity didn't bring back enough old systems. To recap: AC doesn't do enough to reinvent itself, but when it does, people say it doesn't play the same way it has since 2007.
    Branching out and doing something new does not necessarily mean taking out things that actually worked. It means ADDING and BUILDING upon what is there.

For years, people begged for a French Revolution setting.

Unity took us there.

People complain about being confined to Paris instead of sailing the open seas.
    Nobody complained about that.

For years, people begged for the ability to go inside buildings.

Unity allows you to enter buildings.

People complain it's "too hard" to enter windows.
    Yes because enterign windows is inconsistent. Sometimes Arno will do it, sometimes he won't. Entering buildings is great...when it works.
    When it doesn't it's frustrating.

For years, people complained about "the Gump factor", about the protagonist being conveniently thrown into every major historical event.

Unity makes the historical era more of a backdrop for a personal story.

People complain that the protagonist isn't involved enough in every major historical event.
    There needs to be a BALANCE like AC2: Brotherhood. Whereas AC3 just felt like an American Revolution game, Unity goes the opposite way and completely ignores history. Both are bad because of this. As a result characters like Napoleon, Madam Tausaud are wasted cameos.

For years, people complained about Desmond being boring and telling Ubi to just scrap modern day altogether. "Just make it a historical adventure with no Animus stuff", they said.

Unity makes modern day almost entirely nonexistent.

People complain that Ubi needs to bring modern day back.
    Very few complained about the MD being missed and the ones that did never wanted it to go in the first place (me included).

For years, people asked for a return of open-ended assassinations like in the early games.

Unity's assassinations are more open than ever before.

People complain that mission design sucks and they should go back to a more cinematic approach.
    Why does the mission being open ended mean you have to lose the cinematics? They have nothing to do with one another.

For years, people begged for more in-depth character customization.

Unity has literally hundreds of customization combinations.

People complain that after buying the costliest pieces armor, there's no reason to get the lower-stats armor anymore. (Which....is kind of how armor works in every game?)

For years, people complained they wanted livelier NPCs, with random events, bigger crowds and natural involvement with their environment.

Unity has all of that.

People complain that the large crowds are a "gimmick", that random events get boring fast, and nobody seems to care or notice that NPCs now do things like draw attention to a commotion, recognize and greet Arno, have their own routines and actually interact with each other instead of just being stock animations.
    No. People complain about the large crowds because they mess up the frame rate and become repetitive. Large crowds are great when they don't affect game performance but that's not the case here.

For years, people complained that the assassin order didn't feel like a real order anymore - that instead of being a "proper" secret society with robes and ceremonies like in Altaïr and Ezio's time, it had become too mundane.

Unity made the assassin brotherhood more pompous and ceremonial than ever before. The council wore fancy robes, they had a gold-plated, secret underground lair with assassin insignia plastered all over the place. The ultimate armor is basically a black version of Altaïr's robes which is something modders have been dreaming of for ages. Statues of historical assassins line up every hallway.

People complain that the assassins are now too poncey and aloof.

In summary: for years, people have cried out for an AC game that brings back urban gameplay, renews parkour, has dynamic weather, more rewarding stealth, more challenging combat, more advanced AI, open-ended assassinations, co-op (including freeroam), animals, distraction tools, a meaningful brotherhood, disguise system, weapon and armor stats, natural crowds, multiple time eras within one game, meaty side content, reinvented modern day, etc. etc.

Unity has all of that. And what's been the fan response?

"Too little, too late."

Jesus H. Christ, you people really don't know what you want anymore, do you?
    I think it's you that doesn't know what the fans want. It's not enough to introduce things that the fans ask for and just do it slapdash, it needs to be executed properly in order to be considered an actual wish fulfilment.

NOTE: I'm only talking about gameplay and story elements, not the technical issues or social connectivity BS. Those things deserve every criticism. But apparently even if the game worked exactly as intended for everyone, it still would be regarded as a failure, despite delivering everything the previews promised.
    Not true because the game has NEVER worked as intended. All anyone has ever spoken about is the glitches, the bugs and the dodgy mechanics. These are the things that stop Unity from reaching its true potential.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    And another thing: I still see people complaining about tailing and eavesdropping missions as if they were still an abundant feature in Unity. "Oh, it's the same old tired gameplay, just following people around all the time."

In my entire 85-plus hours of playtime so far, I think there have been 3 missions, tops, with tailing involved. Some of those may even have been side missions, not story content. Where the heck are people getting this "ohhhh, it's still happening all the time"?

Not to mention the tailing is a lot more tolerable now that they removed the annoying "stay inside the circle" requirement. Are they supposed to remove the mechanic entirely for people to finally be satisfied? And replace it with what, exactly? Treasure hunts? Whaling? You know, "proper" assassin activities?

I-Like-Pie45's Avatar Senior Member
    SixKeys I don't think you should bother arguing with them.

There is no eyesight for the blind.

HAhah, great text XD

But as another thread (great as well) pointed: It's not that people don't know what they want. It's that a part of the fanbase wants one thing, and the other wants the opposite. The first part of the points you mention is one side, the reaction is the other side.

rprkjj's Avatar Senior Member
    Agreed. Although you have to take into a count the many different audiences Ac caters to. It's being pulled into different directions by critics, casuals, and fans alike.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... Last ►►