M0rV's Avatar Junior Member

Why no Dual-Core support?

Far Cry 4 has a lot of bugs but there is one thing I dont get. Why Far Cry 4 dont work with Intel Pentiums? They are a lot better in every game than Intel Core 2 Quad's and better in almost all games than AMD Athlons and Phenoms. Why?

I bet that with Pentium G3420 or G3258@OC we can play in High settings +/- 30-40fps

Sry for bad english.

I think they are very clear with this: Far Cry 4 is a DX11 game and dropped support for DX9. The engine is updated and stopped supporting old CPU features. The old core2duo's en core2quad are missing some CPU features which are required to run the game.

This is also the reason they announced the minimum requirements to run the game.

At least they should warn somebody when they purchase the game while uplay sees the hardware is not supported.

Originally Posted by sjanssen15 Go to original post
    I think they are very clear with this: Far Cry 4 is a DX11 game and dropped support for DX9. The engine is updated and stopped supporting old CPU features. The old core2duo's en core2quad are missing some CPU features which are required to run the game.

This is also the reason they announced the minimum requirements to run the game.

At least they should warn somebody when they purchase the game while uplay sees the hardware is not supported.
    LOL? I dont write about old pentium but new Haswell's... Far Cry dont work with them but with old Core2Quad work.

I Run Far Cry 3 Ultra Settings easily

If I were to guess (a semi-educated guess as I'm a programmer, though not of games), I'd say they've split key parts of the game engine across 3 or 4 cores, as a method of load balancing.,.. so (just for example)

Core 1: Core gameplay
    Core 2: Sound engine
    Core 3: Enemy AI
    Core 4: Online network functions

Splitting functionality across cores makes a lot of sense. Probably simplifies development quite a lot (which reduces costs etc etc etc).

Originally Posted by RostokMcSponge Go to original post
    If I were to guess (a semi-educated guess as I'm a programmer, though not of games), I'd say they've split key parts of the game engine across 3 or 4 cores, as a method of load balancing.,.. so (just for example)

Splitting functionality across cores makes a lot of sense. Probably simplifies development quite a lot (which reduces costs etc etc etc).

Maybe but i dont think so. They did the same thing with new COD but with some "patch" game works with dual core CPU's and Pentium G easily is better than Athlon X4 and Phenom X4 there.

But can't 2 core share those 4 tasks. It doesn't sound to hard to do.

Programming is lazy job. Just do what you need to do. If someone gets problem try to solve it. If programmers want, you can run this game on medium settings with 60 fps intel core 2 quad with intel iris or low-grade nvidia/amd graphics. They just put lots of realtime fog,blur and effect in game without calculation and optimizations. If you change real-time effects with static-conditional ones even a raspbbery can run smoothly without any significant changes on game dynamics.

Originally Posted by yumameda Go to original post
    But can't 2 core share those 4 tasks. It doesn't sound to hard to do.
    Yes they could, as FC3 showed, but it might well be easier on 4 cores. And everyone likes easier - especially those looking after the development costs!

Originally Posted by M0rV Go to original post
    Maybe but i dont think so. They did the same thing with new COD but with some "patch" game works with dual core CPU's and Pentium G easily is better than Athlon X4 and Phenom X4 there.
    Interesting,... maybe their underlying tech happily scales across any number of cores, but they chose to limit to 4 for performance reasons? I'm only guessing though.

But they block dual cores...

Proof that FC4 runs perfectly on two cores

Look at this video: http://youtu.be/iAzBJnkqZDw. Some gamer starts the game with 8 cores (4 physical and 4 hyperthreaded). Then the game launches. While running, all cores but Core0 and Core2 are getting deactivated. The game still runs smoothly. I hope there will be a fix for that in the near future, an official or unofficial one. The fact that the game is only using two cores, but locks dual cores out, is infuriating.