ghmorello's Avatar Senior Member
    If we didn't solve the puzzle before the FB posts arrived, what would happen to us?

Jayrocksd's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Oh, and yes, has Knaifhogg noted, Adam Dutkiewicz is of Polish descent. I wanted an extra layer of decoding so I figured, okay, I haven't used Polish for anything yet, and once someone made it through to the right answer, that would be a nice little confirmer in context. Who knew it would go the way it did?

Thank you all for playing along. Now those of you who are into the band can play along in a totally different way when the DLC comes out. I did not expect this to turn into the epic event it did with so many people banging their heads against the walls in frustration, but I am glad that it was solved before the Facebook posts went up, and I do hope people had fun along the way, or learned something they never would have known through research that was otherwise fruitless. To me that's part of the fun. Maybe to some of you it's homework but I hope not.

And if you are disappointed by this or any puzzle answer, I bring up confirmation bias in the FAQ, knowing music comes with emotional involvement that clouds perception. It's difficult, but for puzzles, you have to keep yourself open to any answer and not try to make the data fit your deepest hopes and dreams. If you talk yourself into it being something specific, your own brain is setting you up to fall...and then you blame me. So if you tell yourself "It's Josie & the Pussycats because I found this one thing and I really want it to be true," it's impossible for me to talk you out of it.

Case in point: Earlier in the thread, I came right out and said "Sorry, it's not Dream Theater" and someone wanted to believe that it was Dream Theater so much that it was suggested I intentionally gave false information. There is nothing I can say or do after that to change that person's mind because they are believing what they want to believe -- so any disappointment there is really, really not my fault. You obviously need to explore subtle references and entertain different possibilities, but confirmation bias is the single biggest obstacle I think people face.
    I definitely find the puzzles entertaining and of course challenging. Thanks for making them.

So you're saying it's Dream Theater.

poetoe09's Avatar Member
    I honestly don't know what to do with myself now that it's solved. Great puzzle Dan

I'm just really glad to hear that there was some reason for using Polish, even if (in hindsight) it doesn't appear to have been a great choice in terms of translation issues. If that had been a completely arbitrary choice with no connection to the final answer, that would be put me into serious table-flipping territory.

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by danielf567 Go to original post
    LOLOLOL What an anti-climax.

I certainly won't be buying this DLC. Mind you, I doubt I'd have bought Led Zep.
    Ha! Gotta agree. I'm a jazz and prog-rock sorta guy, never cared much for the Zepp. The variety of music represented by the different yet plausible guesses made this an interesting puzzle

It's been a few years since I've listened to these guys. My Curse was insanely fun in GH3. They're right on the edge of how much screaming I personally allow in songs, and the choruses are usually insanely good.

Thanks for the puzzle Dan, it was much better than the two short ones we had lately, even though I got a bit tired of people trying to fit in their favorite band into the puzzle. Sadly the translation got a bit wonky, but live and learn

TonsOfAccounts's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by JosephMcMirra Go to original post
    On a side note I did find it kinda funny someone said outkast ( besides hey ya what other songs could they do ? A rock version of dragulas wedding would be interesting if you replaced the synth with a guitar lol )
    Wow, Joseph! The synth of Dracula's Wedding is really close to guitar, I just checked.
    So, what are we gonna do with Ms. Jackson then to get her into the game, too? haha

OldManRico's Avatar Senior Member
    I think I know one Killswitch Engage song (from Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock). Can't remember if I liked it, but will check out the selection on YouTube when we know it.

Shame it wasn't ZZ Top though.

Uncle Dead1y's Avatar Member
    I like Killswitch Engage, so my 7 week drought is finally over, although I am surprised with the next gen release that it's not something a bit more universally appreciated. But hey, like I said, I like this band, so I'm buying this. Sorry for those who hate them. But I didn't like any of the last 7 weeks (besides Dio) so there you go. Can't please us all, all of the time.

Originally Posted by ghmorello Go to original post
    If we didn't solve the puzzle before the FB posts arrived, what would happen to us?
    Have you ever seen the ending of Akira?

...something like that I would think.