Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member

Simple question for one of the RS staff

If I purchase the PS4 version of the game, I realize that I will get the PS4 DLC of Hendrix for free if downloaded prior to 1/31/2015. I also realize that all of my PS3 previously purchased DLC will be available for free on my PS4. My question is simple: will the DLC I purchase on PSN be available for both the PS3 and PS4 versions of the game or will they be specific to the PS3 and PS4? I would like to be able to purchase via the PSN and be able to use the DLC on either platform.

I tried to read through the last FAQ, but it became a slug-fest of nearly 30 pages rather than informational.

SquirrellyNinja's Avatar RS Product Manager
    Originally Posted by PRS_Rocker Go to original post
    If I purchase the PS4 version of the game, I realize that I will get the PS4 DLC of Hendrix for free if downloaded prior to 1/31/2015. I also realize that all of my PS3 previously purchased DLC will be available for free on my PS4. My question is simple: will the DLC I purchase on PSN be available for both the PS3 and PS4 versions of the game or will they be specific to the PS3 and PS4? I would like to be able to purchase via the PSN and be able to use the DLC on either platform.

I tried to read through the last FAQ, but it became a slug-fest of nearly 30 pages rather than informational.
    FYI, the FAQ is located really in Dan's first post which gets updated so you don't need to actually read the rest of the thread for the most important info. This stuff is one of the things addressed.

To your question if you buy the DLC for PS3, it'll work on PS3 and PS4. If you buy on PS4 it'll only work on PS4. So if you want it for both platforms you'll want to buy on PSN for PS3, then download it onto the PS4 via the forward compatibility.

Originally Posted by SquirrellyNinja Go to original post
    To your question if you buy the DLC for PS3, it'll work on PS3 and PS4. If you buy on PS4 it'll only work on PS4. So if you want it for both platforms you'll want to buy on PSN for PS3, then download it onto the PS4 via the forward compatibility.
    Thank you, and for clarification, if I purchase the PS4 version of the game today and I proceed to migrate what is available from PSN to the PS4 and next week I purchase another pack for the PS3, will that pack also be available for PS4 as well? I know that may be a silly question, but I want to make sure that I understand correctly. Thanks.

Originally Posted by PRS_Rocker Go to original post
    Thank you, and for clarification, if I purchase the PS4 version of the game today and I proceed to migrate what is available from PSN to the PS4 and next week I purchase another pack for the PS3, will that pack also be available for PS4 as well? I know that may be a silly question, but I want to make sure that I understand correctly. Thanks.
    For all future DLC purchases you will need to buy the PS3 version, then also download it for PS4 if you want it on both. So yes, if next week you bought another pack for PS3 then you will have it on PS4.

Perfect. Thanks, SquirrelyNinja for the information.

Originally Posted by MalkinParallax Go to original post
    Which means the Hendrix material cannot go to your PS3 if you get it for free. No big deal, just want to make sure that's clear.
    Yes, this is also true.

FYI, the FAQ is located really in Dan's first post which gets updated so you don't need to actually read the rest of the thread for the most important info. This stuff is one of the things addressed.

I assume then that the best course of action, really, is to buy the DLC online through the PSN store instead of in-game, which would make it available to both consoles, no?

For all future DLC purchases you will need to buy the PS3 version, then also download it for PS4 if you want it on both. So yes, if next week you bought another pack for PS3 then you will have it on PS4.
    So on the online PSN store there will basically be two listings for the DLC. One is PS3 DLC one is PS4 DLC and you'll just have to make sure you're buying the correct one for your intentions. It can seem confusing to see so many entries.
    I'm left a little confused. I thought that you indicated that if I purchased a song on the PS3, I would get the PS4 version of the song without making a second purchase. I just need to know if that's true. The damage is kind of done. On that word, I went out last night and purchased the PS4 box version of the game. I found that nothing that I had already purchased was available. The PS4 version is a veritable wasteland of only the last few weeks of DLC. I wanted to Pete Townsend the box! With about 5 songs that I cared about, I was back to day one of RS 2014 only at least then I had a tool that I could purchase that would import my RS1 library.

I will warn the rest of you that unless you're interested in the DLC from Billy Clyro to now and only the original releases of RS 2014, wait until Jan 31, 2015 to purchase. If you play too much of your other DLC, hold out, this is not worth any of your money; especially if part of your plan was to trade in your PS3.

Dagreenskins's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by MalkinParallax Go to original post
    Which means the Hendrix material cannot go to your PS3 if you get it for free. No big deal, just want to make sure that's clear.
    Wait, the Hendrix songs that we get for free are only for the Xbox One? I will have to purchase them if I want to get them on my 360?

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Yup