yeah, i was gonna do a poll, but someone always says "my choice wasn't there", so totally open... what plane has the absolute best zoom climb as of the latest...umm... "patch"

For instance, if speeds were exact and an enemy on your 6, say 1km behind... what plane could go 90' vertical and hang on it's prop without any worries?

yeah, i was gonna do a poll, but someone always says "my choice wasn't there", so totally open... what plane has the absolute best zoom climb as of the latest...umm... "patch"

For instance, if speeds were exact and an enemy on your 6, say 1km behind... what plane could go 90' vertical and hang on it's prop without any worries?

georgeo76's Avatar Senior Member
    I can't speak for the latest...umm.."patch", but the Jug has the best zoom climb (assuming you've got the speed)

If speeds were identical, the plane with the best T/W ratio and lowest drag would zoom better.

Pre-AEP, I tested and found the La-7 was the zoom king, K4 was very close, Yak-3 good too. Worst were the heavy ones, like FW-190 and P-47.

Rule of thumb is that planes that accelerate well and have a high top end speed, also zoom high.

Bf 109-K4

followed by the Ki-8 Hayate

No, no no... the winner of the best climb is------------> 163

robban75's Avatar Senior Member
    In power off zooms it is probably correct to say that all planes(with matching speeds)zoom the same, as dive acceleration seems to be equal for all(?) planes. With full power, the La-7, D-9, K-4 and Ki-84 becomes excellent zoomers!

When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Willey's Avatar Senior Member
    The jets should zoom best ("Angels pushing"). But they don't. I think Dora and P-51s are the best, as well as the K-4.

P51D has a nasty zoom climb also.