I've had the game for about 4 months now and have just started venturing online quite a bit. I love the co-op missions. Anyway, it has become apparent to me that there are 2 types of people flying. There is the pilot who loves video games and the challenge of online gameplay. The fact that it is a world war II sim is just a side note, and they may know a little bit here and there about airplanes, but it is not thier life. Then there is the aviation and world war II buffs who dedicate alot of enjoyable time learning about and just eat up any media associated with WWII aviation. They most likely hold a pilot's license and are very knowledgable. These are the kind of people that cry at an airshow when a warbird flys by. Is anyone following me?? Anyway, I fall into the latter category. How about you, and why?

I've had the game for about 4 months now and have just started venturing online quite a bit. I love the co-op missions. Anyway, it has become apparent to me that there are 2 types of people flying. There is the pilot who loves video games and the challenge of online gameplay. The fact that it is a world war II sim is just a side note, and they may know a little bit here and there about airplanes, but it is not thier life. Then there is the aviation and world war II buffs who dedicate alot of enjoyable time learning about and just eat up any media associated with WWII aviation. They most likely hold a pilot's license and are very knowledgable. These are the kind of people that cry at an airshow when a warbird flys by. Is anyone following me?? Anyway, I fall into the latter category. How about you, and why?

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    I fall into the latter category as well. WW2 aviation is my passion. I have been a bit lax on it for awhile due to personal reasons. (I fell in love with someone and may have lost her.) I am still a teenager, 17 years old. However my knowledge of ww2 aviation and my interests often far surpass most of my colleagues. I have spent many years reading and soaking up the information.
    I fly this sim because it puts me in the seat of some of the most classic warbirds of the time. You can see the gunsight, see the stick move, the rudder pedals, the gauges... You can almost smell the leather of your flight jacket, and the old rusty smell of aging metal. I don't cry often, though I have recently. I don't cry when I see a warbird fly by, but I do feel proud.
    These were the times. Rough and rugged boys seldom more than a few years older than me comandeered ships that weighed more than 2 tons and flew through the sky at 400 miles an hour, all for the glory of freedom and sacrifice, to protect their families from a horrible fate. I want to feel that pain, that burden. I want to know what it felt like for them. Right now, this is the closest I can come to it, so I will use it.

Boosher

mix of both, i love online gaming but i also love aeroplanes.

MEGILE's Avatar Senior Member
    I am definatly a category A person

Hmm, which catagory would spending alot of money on 1/48 scale aircraft and buying aftermarket pieces to get it to look as authentice as possible, buying books to get the refernces on the scale aircraft, upgrading my computer to play FB at a good pace, fall under. But I fall into both.

www.vultures-row.com

Arcadeace's Avatar Senior Member
    Even though your catagories are generalizations it seems to me there's a lot of members who more or less fall into either one. I'm more of the former. I'm not into every detail but I've always had a healthy regard, even love for the WWII generation and the unity of purpose honoring good vs evil in my country. Also, it was when man still had considerable control over machine - it being a simple extension of one's own actions. And the piston aircraft by their design limitations had uniqueness, even individuality in which I can easily identify.

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    2nd category. By no means an expert but still an aviation junkie (esp WW2). There are no other sims/games on my PC except FS2004.
    Cheers!

www.nightbomber.com

Dunkelgrun aka 242Sqn_Cat

Yellonet's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm right in the middle of those categories. I love Nintendo and I play almost all types of games. I'm really interested in aircraft but not a nerd in any way

El Turo's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm more of the latter, I guess. I do have my pilot's license, although I don't cry at airshows (unless I throw on too much sourkraut on my hotdog, maybe!) I enjoy the attempt at recreating a WWII-era aerial engagement via simulation.

Buying the best WWII-era flight simulation on the planet and playing on limited realism/simulation settings ("arcade" mode) to me is a lot like intentionally buying and drinking near-beer. What's the point? All of the sick, bloated feeling with none of the buzz? Maybe once in a great while for the novelty and laughs, but that's about it.

/snobbery

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
    of worship
    I thought,
    reloading my rifle.

~V.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►