The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member

Next Version of Rocksmith? Somewhat disappointing.....

Dan shared some insight on this while answering viewer questions during the Twitch stream on last Thursday (10/2), and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the answer and his comments. The video is here, and the relevant comments by Dan Amrich begin at 37:07 (transcribed below)

(Dan responding to viewer question) "When will Rocksmith 2015 come out?"

There is no Rocksmith 2015 planned. Main reason behind that is that we think Rocksmith 2014 still has an awful lot of life in it, and you guys have certainly responded in the positive on that as well. We've got DLC coming out for the foreseeable future - no end date - which makes me happy because a lot of what I do is talk about DLC. But, Rocksmith is not designed to be an annual franchise. We're not going to bring out a whole new version of Rocksmith unless there's a significant innovation, and we've got some ideas but we don't have a green light for any of those ideas. So, the next retail release for Rocksmith 2014 is obviously the Playstation 4 and Xbone editions coming in November but that would be largely the game you're seeing on your screen....
    Now, this question comes up a lot, and at least here on the forums the topic of Rocksmith 20xx is thrown around half-jokingly because we've been told that there won't be any more features, fixes, or improvements incorporated into the current version. So, I wasn't expecting any earth-shattering announcement from Dan. I enjoy RS2014 and agree there's life left in it as long as they keep adding songs. The part that leaves me disappointed, however, is this:

We're not going to bring out a whole new version of Rocksmith unless there's a significant innovation, and we've got some ideas but we don't have a green light for any of those ideas.
    UbiSoft has been compiling RS2014-related suggestions and requests on the feedback thread since 10/22/2013 and there are currently over 700 comments from forum members on things they would like added to the game. We've** been asking for guitarcade games which run longer, are more musical, and allow us to choose what we'd like to practice and at what difficulty level. We've been asking for Riff Repeater to pause/continue, allow defining custom phrases for repeating, or show tabs for complex sections. We've been asking for more control in Session Mode by defining chord changes and band tempo. We've been asking for more teaching help with the picking/strumming hand, support for keyboard, etc. We've been asking for these things because Rocksmith 2014 a great tool but we want to see it be updated to be even better and people have said that they'd be willing to buy a new version of the game with these features.

I'm disappointed that UbiSoft doesn't feel that these items are significant innovations worth green-lighting development work on a new game version. I know Session Mode was a completely new feature for RS2014 (over RS), but I don't recall any other improvements or innovations that are more significant than the re-vamps people have been requesting here regarding Guitarcade and Riff Repeater. I realize Rocksmith isn't an annual franchise, but there's still plenty of room to make the game better. 2015 might be too soon, IMO (although I'd still buy it), but....not even planning an updated version?

I hope Dan's not out there kicking himself for saying *anything* on this, because frankly I appreciate the honesty and openness of the communication even though I'm disappointed that they're not working on or even planning an update to the game. So, to turn this rant into something positive, what can the community do here to help UbiSoft realize that we want a new version of this game and we're willing to buy it?

** - "We" means the speaker and one or more other people, not necessarily the reader.

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    What I was actually hoping for at a minimum was a patch that came along with the xbone/PS4 release which would fix a few things (some of the more picky detection, the fact that the friends pivot is broken on PC, maybe sneak in the ability to choose a sub-section to repeat in Riff Repeater even though that'd be a new feature ).

So I was disappointed when Dan mentioned there were no fixes in the works as part of this release.

But, I can definitely see enough things to innovate on to be worthy for a new release next year, I hope that somehow they green-light another version as every aspect of the game can be improved, even though what we have is pretty darn good.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    What Dan is saying is almost exactly what Paul and Nao said after RS1 was said to no longer have any patches planned... Just saying.

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/opini...than-we-think/

edit: http://theherofeed.com/5571/opinion-...than-we-think/ - if you are curious to see people's reaction at the time

Well, sure, there could be something down the pipe that they're not talking about.

Just for reference I am putting in the quote from dan I was referring to in the xbone/PS4 FAQ thread:

Any idea if we're getting any update at all for 360/PS3/PC?
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Not aware of any; for better or worse, I think it's done-ish.

Marauder359's Avatar Banned
    Even if they got the green light today to move forward on the next version of Rocksmith, does anyone think they'd tell us now or remotely close to now? They're launching RS2014 to the new gen of console in 5 weeks. They'd step on that release by making it obsolete before it ever hit shelves? You also have to ask what green light means... but here's the thing, I don't think any of it has a point. Until they're ready to announce something, they're not going to announce anything. So, Dan saying green light could mean any number of things in the context of the pipeline of something. It's not Dan being dishonest, just him answering in a very nuanced way that could mean anything. In other words, there are some questions he can only answer by being cryptic, even if he wanted to be open. That may or may not be the case here, but it doesn't matter. There will be a new version when there is one. Does that mean they don't value our input? Well, they obviously have that feedback thread for a reason, and I'm sure small additions to the gameplay and guitarcade are planned for future editions, but personally, nothing you've mentioned compares to the giant leap forward in menu design/wait time between RS1 and RS2014... and until there is something like that, other than getting 50+ songs for cheaper than DLC, I'm good with RS2014 for some time to come.

Rockin7GG's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    What I was actually hoping for at a minimum was a patch that came along with the xbone/PS4 release which would fix a few things.....
    I feel you SeattleSuave but, my greatest disappointment with what has occurred, or more accurately, NOT occurred with RS 2014, is utilization of the much touted Expansion feature/aspect, which was supposed to have led to the addition of further learning content to this tool as time went by, and not including the song dlcs, of course.

Now, if there is not going to be a 'New' RS in the near future, then at least the availability of supporting/learning material via the aforementioned Expansion feature/aspect of the program, would go 'miles' toward extending the life and usefulness of what we've got at this time. Also, the inclusion/utilization of this feature would give great 'feedback' to the developers with regards as to what would be feasible, and what would really 'stand out' in the next planned iteration of RS. Just my two cents, FWIW !!!

Yeah, I would have liked to see the expansion section used as well for things like an ear training game or something that helps work on timing etc... Ah well, in the short term if you're not interested in the XBone/PS4 (and rumored iOS release), then it looks like it's all DLC for now

Originally Posted by Marauder359 Go to original post
    Even if they got the green light today to move forward on the next version of Rocksmith, does anyone think they'd tell us now or remotely close to now?
    Yeah, I don't think they'd talk about a new version until much closer to the release date (i.e. E3 next year at the earliest). I mostly wish they had a patch out as part of this current release they worked on for xbone/PS4.

Rockin7GG's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    Yeah, I don't think they'd talk about a new version until much closer to the release date (i.e. E3 next year at the earliest). I mostly wish they had a patch out as part of this current release they worked on for xbone/PS4.
    ???....Do you think that 'A Patch' may be one of those Things they can't talk about until it's Almost ready ??? Cheerio...!

Originally Posted by Rockin7GG Go to original post
    ???....Do you think that 'A Patch' may be one of those Things they can't talk about until it's Almost ready ??? Cheerio...!
    The thing I was referring to.. Is if they were already doing active development on an XBone/PS4 port that would be a good time to also fix some core issues with parts of the code that are not dependent on the platform (more logic based issues such as what I imagine note detection tuning would likely be). Since they're stabilizing and releasing new content for XBone and PS4 in time for holiday and promoting it, and that code is stabilized enough to discuss already, it would also be a reasonable time to release and discuss a patch for the downlevel consoles and PC for functionality.

Given we're not getting a patch along with this release, it seems unlikely that there would be a better time to release another patch - unless there's actually a problem with the Xbone/PS4 releases that necessitates a patch. So, I'm not holding my breath for any new patches at all unless there's a serious issue with the new platform releases.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►