Bass Videos for The White Stripes DLC 10/14/14

Three songs out of the 5 pack have bass.

Femacejo's Avatar Member
    Kool bass-lines.

Thanks for sharing.

ejw427's Avatar Junior Member
    Love White Stripes / Jack White, just wish they could've picked some songs that have more than 1 bass string played in them. There's some fun stuff from Blunderbuss for example...

BazzTard61's Avatar Banned
    nothing for us bassists here, keep moving.....

it's either someone who just got a bass that day, or a guitarist who thinks playing bass is hitting root notes lol

ejw427's Avatar Junior Member
    Well, it fits the songs for sure, but I was just saying songs with more interesting / challenging bass lines are available too...

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    nothing for us bassists here, keep moving..... <snip>
    Except the opportunity to play it differently while maintaining the notes tabbed. I've been covering Seven Nation Army since its release, and I don't know if I play it the same way twice. The choice of where to play the riff is the player's. So get used to one way, then see what else will work. For example, the riff starts on E at the 7th fret of the A string. How about giving it a little bottom end by playing the E open on and moving to the G at the 3rd fret? Then play an open D and move to C and B on the A string. Practices string skipping and still stays within the notes of the song. Also gives a little more Boom to the beginning of the riff. Since this is an emulation, who cares where you start? You're the bassist. How about playing the first E on the D string at the 2nd fret? Then the riff ends with the open D. What about the 12th fret of the E string? Then you can go to the 10th of the A string or even the 15th fret of the E (if you trust your intonation). How about involving the open G and really practicing your string skipping? Give it a funky feel and add some octaves during the chorus. How about some flatted 4ths or 5ths during the G and A chords on the outro of the chorus to make it sound non-diatonic and creepy?

BazzTard61's Avatar Banned
    Hey PRS, I get what you are saying.

If I'm gonna improvise, I'll do it on my bands original songs

There are so many songs and only so little time, to waste on things I don't like.

I get it, you love being able to play over it, trying new things out, fine, I'm very happy for you. I get that same opportunity with my bands' originals.

Easy to play along to songs are great for learning to improvise.So I'm not saying what you get out of these songs is invalid. I'm just saying there's nothing there for me.

I prefer to try and play basslines that are harder for me and / or out of my reach. Like Elvis Costello, Led Zeppelin, Dream Theater, Rush,Boston,Beatles,Black Sabbath, Yes, and see how I can improve over time.

I think YYZ is a life-long goal hehe

Anyway, I guess what is true, is that everybody gets something different out of any given song.

I should've said there's nothing here for ME, I shouldn't have been so presumptive. sorry

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    I should've said there's nothing here for ME, I shouldn't have been so presumptive. sorry
    Whether a song is complicated or easy, I look at it as a chance to spread my wings. I started playing YYZ when I was 16 and all I had was an old used Rickenbacker that sounded tinny and somewhat muffled through my crappy bass rig. I figured it out by ear and by watching what little video I could find of Rush in those pre-historic, pre-internet days. But as soon as I could play it 'right', it was time to start playing it like me. I guess it's just the way I've looked at every cover song over the last 34 years. How can I own the song.

For a lot of bassists, this is the perfect clean slate. There's no real bass line for you to have to emulate, so make it yours. Take out your bass and play these songs as if Jack hired you to play bass for him on tour! Who cares what your score is in the game? How does it sound? How does it feel? Did you get the results you wanted?

To poo-poo these songs for everyone is to take away from what they might get out of it. You improvise. Share something that might help someone else. Give them a path down which they might walk to find their own way. You may not buy the songs (I didn't), but that doesn't mean that you can't give some helpful advice to those who'd like to play the song sand then spice things up a bit and make them their own.