Would you like a 'Nemesis System' in AC?

After watching some Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay, I was just thinking how that could transition into Assassin's Creed, just with different mechanics (not branding Orcs).Maybe bribes, threats or something along those lines to effect the guards.
    The only problem was 'death'... would you be resurrected by the Animus for the soldier's promotions to take effect?

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes and no.

It's a cool concept, but messes with the canon.

Animus is all about relieving accurate memories, and that completely goes against what the nemesis system is about.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    All the issues of the animus and the fact it messes up canon aside, I wouldn't like them to just rip off SoM. I have no doubt that the success of SoM will give Ubisoft a kick up the backside that they need. Well...they might not need it if Unity lives up to expectations. But yeah, would be bit cheap if they just had a carbon copy of the nemesis system. Although SoM is apparently not only similar in terms of parkour to Assassin's Creed, but the way you uncover the world is like AC as well.

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    It could work as long as it was only about fictional figures, such as the guards. The trouble is that the game would run the risk of you becoming more invested in your rivalry with the characters in the Nemesis system than with the historical targets, and thereby overshadowing the written portion of the game.

By the sound of the reviews, the strength of the Nemesis system is that the tougher enemies crop up again and again until you finally beat them, and that you're in something of a race to upgrade your stats as they upgrade theirs. It sounds great, but I don't think AC can take that!

What's with the 'messes with the canon' thing? Quite a lot of times systemic gameplay ideas get shut down here because 'Animus is about recreating exact memories'.

Yes, there are some things that are out of bounds for an Animus (like choosing your own widely different endings, for example), but Animus was never about exact representation of things. We wiggle our way from synchronization point to synchronization point (cutscenes) trying to fill in the blanks between them as we see fit (gameplay) to create an approximate total representation of chained events that's got both factual and uncertain information.

This is why when you approach the target you can either hidden blade it, start a direct fight, throw a bomb, poison, knives, whatever you see fit.
    This is why we can complete missions out of order (related to side missions mostly).
    This is why we can kill 1000s of guards in cold blood yet characters themselves can be more reserved regarding killing.
    This is why Unity has its mod missions that changes the structure of the game and the adaptive mission mechanics that changes things depending on actions.

Because Animus is not 100% truth.

It sounds very interesting, but I need to try it first. Perhaps AC can adopt some parts of the concept. Will play SoM at the end of October, then I'll know better !

Nyvri's Avatar Senior Member
    I agree with Farlander. This whole ''canon thing'' doesn't mean much, especially when it comes to outside of the story.

The whole nemesis system isn't too far off from what we've already had with the Brotherhood system pre-AC:IV and somewhat AC:3 when it comes to messing with memories/history. We can recruit randomly generated Assassins with their own names, faces, and gender, upgrade them, level them, and send them off on missions that can possibly fail.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Just because something is good in one game doesn't mean all games should have it too.

assassination missions are my favorite part in an AC game. I wouldn't mind if AC adopted it and made a Templar hierarchy with randomized assassination missions! OH YES

rickprog's Avatar Member
    It's technically one of the Apple's abilities, isn't it? It controls people's minds through neurotransmitters. It could be developed further, but the thing already exists, pretty much.