Core2TOM's Avatar Senior Member

Animate the Rider

i remember mutetus did that on the Editor Stream #4 and most of the viewers was like "WTF?"
    now i made my own short tutorial for the basics and tried to explain as good as i could, maybe its helpful for someone (?)

but what i really want to know is, how PneumaticBog484 did the animations on HERO - Rising i think i got some ideas, but still dont know how to do it exactly. this is driving me nuts!

@bog: do i have to use 15 single dummy objects or 15 glued groups to "connect the hinges"? (dont know how to explain it, but i guess you know what i mean) how do i get the correct angles? and do you use combined pivots or those 2 pivot points? would be awesome if you could share some tips, i really want to understand it (im trying it since evo) thank you

Hey Tom,

What you did in the video is almost exactly what I did for HERO - Rising!

The only difference, I had is I used 15 dummy objects and connected them to each body part. This way you can move each body part individually.

Also, you should use separated pivots (pivots not combined). Combined pivots make it so that where ever the objects are in Editor is how they will react together in game. So if the dummy object for your "head" point is far away from your Rider's head in the Editor, the Rider's head with never be on top of the dummy object (I hope that makes sense). If you separate the pivots it can fix this. Place the pivot for the Rider's head (it will have a pink/magenta line going to the Rider) on the Rider himself. Then place the pivot for the dummy object (it will have a pink/magenta line going to the dummy object) right on top of the dummy object. This way when you play the track the Rider will "snap" right on top of the dummy object, but in the Editor you can work with them separately.

As for the dummy objects you can use glue groups instead and arrange them like this. Select the glue group instead of the dummy object when using the Physic's Joint.

Rider's Arm
    Code:
    "Elbow"          "Center of Bicep"         "Shoulder" 
     O - - - - - - - - - -O- - - - - - - - - - - O
     ^           The center of the arm
     ^                  will be here
             .            ARM SWINGS DOWN HERE        
                                            ........>>
    Actual Glue Group
    Code:
    Dummy Obj      Put Pivot point here         Glue Group Pivot
     D - - - - - - - - - -P- - - - - - - - - - - G <--OPE here; animate the glue group (bend the arm)
     ^               Rider's Arm will
     ^              be pulled to here
     .           (NOTE: Make sure you put the Physic's Joint pivot that goes with the glue group here,
     .                 NOT the pivot that goes with the actual Rider's arm)
             .            ARM SWINGS DOWN HERE        
                                            ........>>
    Use this setup for each limb you want to move.

Hope this helps Tom! If there is anything else you would like to know, just feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    PneumaticBog484

funktastic-'s Avatar Banned
    Great tutorial core2tom will have a crack at it one day but doubt i have the patients to actually do it. Will make some awsome skill game. Maybe some vodoo doll were we could smack the hell out the rider hahaha. ( Stress Doll )

I wonder if they can put that music you had in in the next dlc , because the editor tunes is driving me nuts lol

Good to see some other people working on doing this. I will have to share my knowledge after the Expo this weekend.

Originally Posted by pneumaticbog484 Go to original post
    What you did in the video is almost exactly what I did for HERO - Rising!
    lol not even close but anyway its working! yay! 1-2 hours of work, thanks for the helpful tips! thats all i got so far:

now the animations on all those glued groups and dummys to let the rider walk, jump etc. ... hmm... i will try something and will use the two-dimensional-vector, that could probably be the easiest way to share the values for all the different animations on the forums.

if you animate the dummy objects that the rider is walking in freeroam, how to avoid that the animated dummy objects will go through buildings? i mean you just change the position and this could be anywhere (you know what i mean?) do you also animate some area triggers that will detect if the rider running against buildings or rocks?

@ JolanXBL: i remember you did a great job with this in evo!

Would you believe I only use 7 joints? I mean, the rider is already fully-jointed, why waste resources sticking boxes to every part? If you need him to walk, just move his thighs! If you want him to swing a sword or machine gun, operate the hands and the arm will follow .
    OPE can drag the poor guy through solid objects. What other exists that doesn't?....

ANIMATED RIDER CHALLENGE!!
    Move the rider around using no more than 8 joints.
    * His legs must move in some way.

sure, it would be even possible with 5 or 3 joints... but for the test i used them all to have full controll. the test was like "how complicated can it be?"

mutetus's Avatar Trials Developer
    Less is more. When animating the rider it's best to use as few joints as possible to move desired limbs and restrict the relative movement of other body parts just by connecting them with loose joints to give him some natural and sometimes hilarious motion. If the rider is twitching too much, make him unconscious. I believe I used like 3-4 points on the rider for the animations in the tennis challenge and the rest are just natural physics on the rider model to make him more life like. Everything else there is just animation.

That's Nifty