What makes a good track?

What makes a good track?

So editors know what to look for when creating.

Post all features that make a good track.

Here's what we got so far -

Difficulty & Bikes:
    - Consistent difficulty appropriate to the set difficulty (use license tests & ingame tracks as guidelines).
    - Correct bikes allowed used for difficulty/obstacles/type of track and playstyle of track.
    - There are no beginner/easy/medium/hard "ninja" tracks in my opinion, always extreme.

The Driving Line:
    - Adding multipath/Timesavers.
    - When the rider is in mid-air, try and avoid curving the drive line.
    - No floaters, no track breakers where you can cheat and ride under the track.
    - Cool endings.

Obstacles:
    - Well aligned objects and ramps (use custom collisions if needed).

The Decoration:
    - Consistent Theme/Environment.
    - Lots of details and custom objects, animations but try and avoid lag.
    - No objects blocking view of rider for a long time or when a specific obstacle is obstructed from view.
    - Simpler small poles/trees may block view for a millisecond on a high speed track which can be ok when done well but keep it minimal.
    - Cool endings.

Sounds/Music:
    - No annoying sounds or custom music at the beginning that restarts every time you press the b button to start again.

View & Cameras:
    - Correct light and shadows, not too dark that the rider is blending in the track&background too much, not too bright that it blinds you on the sun effect for long time.
    - No sudden drastic camera angle/cut changes.
    - On curved tracks be careful of too sharp turns as it may look weird and confuse the player and it also looks silly.
    - Death cams is a nice feature to add.

Tracks Difficulty's:
    - Consistency in track difficulty.

Easy:
    Medium:
    Hard
    Extreme:

Ninja:
    - I prefer to not upload partial "checkpoint" tracks on ninjas as it takes spots away from feeds (which currently are already small with 52 spots).
    - you can code in a practice mode to an existing track by blocking the finish when activating practice mode (via a on-hit switch or button press), so you could skip forward/back but not set a leaderboard time when activating (builders on this forum should be able to help with the code for this).
    - Prefer to list ninja in title or description, at least at minimum, in one of the 4 tags.

Track Types:
    Trials:
    Skill Games:
    FMX:

Optimizations:
    - Reduce the view distance/object draw distance/shadow distance, the baseworld has a ton of objects that you might not even see but are still rendered with a high object draw distance (I generally use object distance 100-500 meter depending on background distance I want in view), you can even change it with an event if you would go indoors and outdoors.
    - Take care of too many lights in an area, especially dynamic shadows in view, they can and will cause slowdowns, also keep in mind checkpoints/fire/explosion/sparks effects etc emit light as well.
    - If you want to use Physics somewhere, make sure you only have the objects you want solid/physics on at normal physics setting, turn everything that isn't touched/needed to decoration only if it does not come in contact with bike/rider/physics objects.
    - No lag/no screen tare.
    - TESTING! Everything from code to drive line to decoration, so you avoid the need to re upload track so you don't clutter TC, unless its really broken beyond unplayable on say a complex skillgame/scoreboard.

Tutorial/Example:
    Spoiler:  Show

Easter Eggs:
    - Add some Easter Eggs as this can be fun but not always necessary.
    - Secret rooms.

Other:
    - Carefully positioned checkpoints.
    - Realistic medal times.

Tutorial/Example:
    Spoiler:  Show

I will add to the list when more are suggested!

UPDATED!

-Zurgery

TeriXeri's Avatar Senior Member
    This is a quick list, will post more later

Difficulty & Bikes:
    - Consistent difficulty appropriate to the set difficulty (use license tests & ingame tracks as guidelines).
    - Correct bikes allowed used for difficulty/obstacles/type of track and playstyle of track.
    - There are no beginner/easy/med/hard "ninja" tracks in my opinion, always extreme.

View & Cameras:
    - Consistent Theme
    - No objects blocking view of rider for a long time or when a specific obstacle is obstructed from view.
    - Simpler small poles/trees may block view for a millisec on a high speed track which can be ok when done well but keep it minimal.
    - Correct light, not too dark that the rider is blending in the track&background too much, not too bright that it blinds you on the sun effect for long time.
    - No sudden drastic camera angle/cut changes
    - On curved tracks be careful of too sharp turns as it may look weird and confuse the player and it also looks silly.

Ninja Tracks:
    - I prefer to not upload partial "checkpoint" tracks on ninjas as it takes spots away from feeds (which currently are already small with 52 spots)
    - you can code in a practice mode to an existing track by blocking the finish when activating practice mode (via a on-hit switch or button press), so you could skip forward/back but not set a leaderboard time when activating. (builders on this forum should be able to help with the code for this)
    - Prefer to list ninja in title or description, at least at minimum, in one of the 4 tags.

Optimizations:
    - Reduce the view distance/object draw distance/shadow distance, the baseworld has a ton of objects that you might not even see but are still rendered with a high object draw distance (I generally use object distance 100-500 meter depending on background distance I want in view), you can even change it with an event if you would go indoors and outdoors.
    - Take care of too many lights in an area, especially dynamic shadows in view, they can and will cause slowdowns, also keep in mind checkpoints/fire/explosion/sparks effects etc emit light as well.
    - If you want to use Physics somewhere, make sure you only have the objects you want solid/physics on at normal physics setting, turn everything that isn't touched/needed to decoration only if it does not come in contact with bike/rider/physics objects.
    - TEST TEST TEST TEST everything from code to driveline to decoration, so you avoid the need to reupload track (which I never do and probably never will) so you don't clutter TC, unless its really broken beyond unplayable on say a complex skillgame/scoreboard.

more to come.

most important is making tracks you like

I think this is a great post! personally I like making tracks that are among the hard variety of tracks. Would like to add multi path, and possibly some easter eggs in my tracks. Currently though I have too many lights in a scene, but am not seeing any lag or frame rate drops on Ps4. Hopefully I'll get his track done soon.

TeriXeri's Avatar Senior Member
    Those 2 Evo Vids sum up some great tips that most still Apply to Fusion.

I dont know whether you have mentioned this but... when the rider is in mid-air, try and avoid curving the drive line

Smeghead89's Avatar Senior Member
    good theme, nice environment, lots of details and custom objects, animations, good use of light and shadows, timesavers, carefully possitioned checkpoints, realistic medal times, consistency in track difficulty, no lag/no screentare, well aligned objects and ramps (use custom collisions if need), no floaters, no track breakers where you can cheat and ride under the track, great/cool endings, no annoying sounds or custom music at the beginning that restarts everytime you press the b button to start again, secret rooms and easter eggs are a nice touch as well as death cams and multiple routes

mutetus's Avatar Trials Developer
    Pointers about the same topic in older thread:http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-Building-Tips

Nice - more tips