LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member

Does Unity have a shot at GOTY?

I honestly think it does. The critics aren't usually extremely receptive of AC games, especially after they went annual, but TBH I'm expecting 8's and 9's for Unity (even the relatively poorly-received AC3 got mostly 8's) and this has actually been a pretty crappy year for AAA gaming. Rereleases and remasters galore. InFamous and Titanfall are the only other real contenders IMO (MGS5GZ had a shot but most people took issue with its length) so I think if Unity delivers it could easily take the crown this year.

poptartz20's Avatar Senior Member
    well.. on game informer AC3 received a 9.25/10 also not to mention on PSN it was awarded Game of the year. So it really depends on what you read or saw on the reception of AC3. Someone on Kotaku gave is a 9/10 while another person gave it a 6 or 7. ( Come to think of it.. just about all AC games get an 8) Also the year AC3 came out it competed with TLoU and Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Which were all pretty heavy hitters.

Now.. having said all this, I feel like Unity will have a chance because what is really out that will compete with it? I:SS? Watchdogs? Drive club? LB3? I just feel the odds are higher for it to win vs. other games. I still don't know if it will but it has a good shot at this point!

AherasSTRG's Avatar Senior Member
    Of all the games released this year, the only one that may (maybe, might, perhaps, mayhaps, if) come close to touching Unity is Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor. All the rest were mediocre.

EDIT: Plot twist: Rogue ends up winning the GOTY award... >.>

Megas_Doux's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by poptartz20 Go to original post
    well.. on game informer AC3 received a 9.25/10 also not to mention on PSN it was awarded Game of the year. So it really depends on what you read or saw on the reception of AC3. Someone on Kotaku gave is a 9/10 while another person gave it a 6 or 7. ( Come to think of it.. just about all AC games get an 8) Also the year AC3 came out it competed with TLoU and Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Which were all pretty heavy hitters.

Now.. having said all this, I feel like Unity will have a chance because what is really out that will compete with it? I:SS? Watchdogs? Drive club? LB3? I just feel the odds are higher for it to win vs. other games. I still don't know if it will but it has a good shot at this point!
    Bioshock and TLoU came in 2013, and no way in sheol AC III had ANY chance of winning GOTY, those guys at gamepro were definitely high, AC III LOL!!!!!!!

The walking dead, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, and even Mass effect 3 with its trainwreck of an ending deserved it.

In fact, as a hardcore fan, I would NOT rank any AC so far above 9, may be AC IV, MAY BE.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Unity does, AC3 DID.

We can't know until we play it. If Unity:

Has bad pace, shoves Arno everywhere, not enough side content, bunch of glitches, too much open land, bad story, bad character development, too short.

Then we're screwed! Point again being we can't know

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    Unity does, AC3 DID.

We can't know until we play it. If Unity:

Has bad pace, shoves Arno everywhere, not enough side content, bunch of glitches, too much open land, bad story, bad character development, too short.

Then we're screwed! Point again being we can't know
    True enough, but even if its reception is similar to AC3's (bit of a mixed bag ranging from 7s to 9s) I feel like it has a shot. It really has lame competition IMO, all the other good games slated for this fall got pushed back to 2015.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    It has a high shot.

If Shadow of Mordor gets a 7 like I predict,then Unity might get GOTY.

Because other than Unity, what is there?

Destiny- meh
    infamous SS- meh
    Infamous fl- more meh
    lightning returns- gross
    the walking dead- episodic so not sure counts
    metal gear gz- haha no
    titanfall-meh
    watch dogs- Meeeeeeeeh
    wolf among us- same with twd
    mario kart- too annual
    smash bros- maybe. we'll see
    murderd ss- pfft no
    sims4- haahha nooooooo
    shovel knight- maybe
    naruto- doubt it
    hyrule warriors- no

the only competition Unity has is

dragon age inquisition, far cry 4, smash bros, and maaaaaybe bayonetta 2 IMO

SpiritOfNevaeh's Avatar Senior Member
    I think it has a high chance. It looks promising.

All games technically do have a chance at being GOTY. It just depends on the critics and other criteria.

m4r-k7's Avatar Senior Member
    Titanfall, Watch Dogs and Destiny will not get a game of the year award IMO. Unity will have competition with Far Cry 4, CoD Advanced Warfare, Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, Alien Isolation, Fifa 15, AC Rogue (lol competition with itself), Driveclub, Forza Horizon, Borderlands Pre Sequel, Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive, The Crew, GTA Remaster, LBP 3, Dragon Age.... There are so many games coming out, it will be hard for Unity.

I hope it does though, its definitely my most anticipated title this year.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    out of all those games, how many are multiplatform next gen only? (and not remasters)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►