Is there a list of songs + DLC compared between the original & 2014 versions?

I started playing guitar about 10 years ago, I played every day for hours for about 3 years, and then life got a little busier and I didn't play much over the next 7 years. A few weeks ago, I decided to get my guitar out and start again. I was really rusty and couldn't remember a lot of the scales and chords I used to know, and my fingers couldn't keep up anymore, but I'm starting to get the hang of it again, and I wanted something to help me learn some of my favorite songs faster.

So Rocksmith seemed really cool and the reviews spoke for themselves, and I decided to try it. I just bought the original game because it was much cheaper and I just wanted to see in general how the product works before I bought the twice-as-expensive (where I shop) 2014 edition.

So, I see a TON of songs I'd like to learn in the DLC list for both games, but I couldn't find a convenient comparison between the two editions.

I would like to know if it's worth my money to buy DLC songs for the original game, if I like it and decide later on to buy the 2014 game?

The factors that matter to me are:

1) Are the original edition DLC songs compatible with the 2014 version of the game?
    2) Are the original edition DLC songs also available to purchase in the 2014 version, or does each version have its own unique list of songs you can buy, OR is there overlap?
    3) If there is overlap, I'd like to know which songs are available in both versions, so that I stick to the original exclusive songs for now and wait until I perhaps buy the 2014 version in order to get those songs.

Thanks,and I hope my questions are clear, but if not, I'll elaborate haha.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I think all the original song versions are available as bonus selections ... or at least quite a few of them.

1) yes

2) yes

3) only the older songs can be brought into the new RS14, the new songs are not backwards compatible with RS12.

Hi, thank you very much for your response!

I think I understand your "yes" responses to the first 2 questions, but not sure what your anwer to question 3 means.

Let me try: So, any DLC songs that I buy in 2012, will work in 2014. But anything that I buy in 2014 will not work in 2012? Is that correct?

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Callahan09 Go to original post
    <snip>

Let me try: So, any DLC songs that I buy in 2012, will work in 2014. But anything that I buy in 2014 will not work in 2012? Is that correct?
    I'm pretty sure that's true. However, there's a (good) case to be made for buying RS2014 straight away (assuming that's an option). Basically, the whole RS experience has been revamped, and the game is far more free flowing. They've done away with the venues (which is a pity in some ways), meaning you're not forced to play certain songs to progress, and it's easier to simply play the songs that you enjoy playing whilst ignoring the ones you don't like. Plus, you don't have to go through the tuner every time you want to play a song. I say it's much improved, and worth the money for that reason alone. Well, that and the 50 odd new songs...

Bear in mind though, that you also need to buy the disc import tool at $10 to import the RS1 (on disc) songs into RS2014. The $10 covers the relicencing fees. Also: you need to buy both versions of RS for the same platform/console if you want to port songs.

I can only speak for Rocksmith on PC via steam (best place to get it if you can, steam sales crop up regularly and offer good knock down prives).

essentially... yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocksmith_2014 has the fuller details.

Original rocksmith DLC you buy carries forward to Rocksmith 2014 in new arrangements; new songs don't work with the old version. If you have the original and the disc import tool, the original non DLC songs also carry over to Rocksmith 2014 barring one or two special cases.

Other than that, DLC is platform locked - so if you buy DLC on xbox live/PSN store/steam it only works on that platform, doesn't transfer between them.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    oops...

I meant "are not".

The new songs are not backwards compatible to the old game.

dm_gsxr's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by danielf567 Go to original post
    I'm pretty sure that's true. However, there's a (good) case to be made for buying RS2014 straight away (assuming that's an option). Basically, the whole RS experience has been revamped, and the game is far more free flowing. They've done away with the venues (which is a pity in some ways), meaning you're not forced to play certain songs to progress, and it's easier to simply play the songs that you enjoy playing whilst ignoring the ones you don't like. Plus, you don't have to go through the tuner every time you want to play a song. I say it's much improved, and worth the money for that reason alone. Well, that and the 50 odd new songs...

Bear in mind though, that you also need to buy the disc import tool at $10 to import the RS1 (on disc) songs into RS2014. The $10 covers the relicencing fees. Also: you need to buy both versions of RS for the same platform/console if you want to port songs.
    Honestly I find the original Rocksmith can be a lot more fun with the Venues (and you can change the songs for the event), the crowd, and even the slight increase in the song difficulty when playing "on stage". The "Master Mode" encores should be eliminated though at least as far as I'm concerned. But I liked the progress and leveling up of the game.

And of course you don't have to follow the events. You can just go to the list of songs and play the ones you like.

In my opinion, Rocksmith is a game that motivates you to play guitar.

Rocksmith 2014 is a lot more like a teaching tool and less like a game (at least like the original Rocksmith). I will note that turning off the effects significantly improved the likelyhood of my playing Score Attack. The effects are a lot offputting.

Carl

Yeah. I'm not saying that the original was bad, just that I think some things have improved in the new version, so that might be a consideration for the OP. Mind you. Owning RS2014 does not mean you can't play RS1 anymore. However, I've only gone back to RS1 once - specifically to revisit. I really enjoyed playing the venue back when I did, but I've not found reason to revisit them again.

dm_gsxr's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by danielf567 Go to original post
    Yeah. I'm not saying that the original was bad, just that I think some things have improved in the new version, so that might be a consideration for the OP. Mind you. Owning RS2014 does not mean you can't play RS1 anymore. However, I've only gone back to RS1 once - specifically to revisit. I really enjoyed playing the venue back when I did, but I've not found reason to revisit them again.
    I've gone back as the mood strikes me. Steam was highlighting it and I clicked play without realizing I was on RS vs RS2014. It's still fun I think and I played a couple of venues and a couple of the songs that didn't transfer (Sunshine of Your Love and Star Spangled Banner).

And you can't play RS1 if you're playing RS2014 on a Mac

Carl

Originally Posted by dm_gsxr Go to original post

And you can't play RS1 if you're playing RS2014 on a Mac

Carl
    You can if you have Bootcamp. I have