Myst 4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Hi,
    I am trying to get Myst IV to run on Windows 7 64-bit. The game crashes to the desktop whenever I try to launch. The error log reports:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 7/20/2014 6:24:44 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: T
    Description:
    Faulting application name: myst4.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4214c4a5
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00037203
    Faulting process id: 0x1798
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cfa4696420209d
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\Myst\Myst IV - Revelation\bin\myst4.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: a5bf4b14-105c-11e4-8b9f-a41f72ff7d61

I’ve patched to version 1.03 already and have tried all of the compatibility modes. I started a support ticket with Ubisoft, but I was told that it was never tested for Windows 7 and may not work properly. From what I have been able to gather online, many people seem to be able to run Myst 4 on Windows 7, but I have been able to find other people with the same problems, but no solutions. I was wondering if someone could help me. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forums!

NOTE: Anything that's in type of a different color (usually blue), is a link to another Internet site. Double-left-click on a link to go to its site.

In general,
    1. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
    -- a. Be certain that Revelation saves its game progress files to your C: drive.
    -- b. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:. Be certain that Revelation saves its game progress files to D:.
    -- c. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    2. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows with **full Administrator privileges** (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 1. Do NOT forget to re-enable your anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs after finished playing Revelation.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it.
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation.
    3. Never boot up with a CD or DVD in any disc drive.
    4. If the Revelation disc autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Always start Revelation with the Desktop shortcut/start icon, NOT from the DVD menu.

Always start Revelation by doing steps 2 through 5, above.

As a start, have you installed the latest Win 7 updates and Service Pack 1 (SP1) and updated ALL of your Win 7 drivers?

Thank you for your reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've tried your suggestions, but no luck.

1. I just have the one hard drive and it is installed on C:
    2. I am running as an administrator, or is there something more for "full Administrator privileges" I am running McAfee and I turned off real-time scanning, although the McAfee icon is still visible in the system tray. I don't have any other spyware/adware programs.
    3-5. I rebooted, inserted the DVD after rebooting, and started the game from the Desktop icon.

And I am running SP1 and I keep all the drivers up to date.

It still crashes to the desktop.

Could it be a problem with the ntdll.dll? If the game is trying to run the version in the SysWOW64 folder, doesn't that mean it is the 64-bit version of the file it is trying to use. There is another file in the system32 folder.

Anyway. Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted by Heimdall_G Go to original post
    Welcome to the Forums!

NOTE: Anything that's in type of a different color (usually blue), is a link to another Internet site. Double-left-click on a link to go to its site.

In general,
    1. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
    -- a. Be certain that Revelation saves its game progress files to your C: drive.
    -- b. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:. Be certain that Revelation saves its game progress files to D:.
    -- c. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    2. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows with **full Administrator privileges** (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 1. Do NOT forget to re-enable your anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs after finished playing Revelation.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it.
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation.
    3. Never boot up with a CD or DVD in any disc drive.
    4. If the Revelation disc autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Always start Revelation with the Desktop shortcut/start icon, NOT from the DVD menu.

Always start Revelation by doing steps 2 through 5, above.

As a start, have you installed the latest Win 7 updates and Service Pack 1 (SP1) and updated ALL of your Win 7 drivers?

Yeah, it appears to be an ntdll.dll problem of some sort; note that your system is 64-bit and Revelation's code was written for a 32-bit system. (For an explanation of SysWOW64 and System32 functionality, take a look at The 'Program Files (x86)' and 'SysWOW64' folders explained.) If that's what this is, attempting to fix it basis whichever version of ntdll.dll is a very long and winding road. And typically NOT a good use of one's time!

Try the following -- it's a wild ride, but if you really want to play Revelation....

1. Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, and try all of the modes under "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?" Start with Windows 98 / Windows ME. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows.
    -- a. You can also make compatibility setting changes manually.
    ----- 1. Click on "> To change compatibility settings manually" in Make older programs run in this version of Windows, and read through all of the options.
    ----- 2. Various combinations of options are usually necessary.

2. Run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter, and use it to re-install Revelation. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details, in particular, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ...."
    -- a. First, uninstall Revelation using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs utility.
    ----- 1. See Uninstall or change a program for details.
    ----- 2. If you can't find the Add or Remove Programs utility, see Turn Windows features on or off.
    -- b. Then reboot, and re-install Revelation using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter ("If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ....").
    ----- 1. Select Windows 98 / Windows ME for "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?"
    ----- 2. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
    ----- 3. When installing, set the install path to C:\Program Files\ (The 64-bit version will want to put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\)
    -- c. Reboot, and start Revelation from a fresh boot as per steps 2 through 5 under "In general", above.

3. The Revelation patches are available here. I recommend applying the 1.02 patch and then the 1.03 patch. The 1.02 patch is 41.1 MB, while the 1.03 patch is only 15.4 MB, which may mean there's "good stuff" included in 1.02 that isn't included in 1.03. Apply the patches as follows after re-installing Revelation:
    -- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
    -- b. Click on Start > Run.
    -- c. Browse to myst4_v1.00_to_v1.02_pc.exe, and double-click on it to put it in the Open: box.
    -- d. Click on OK to start the install process.
    -- e. Follow the Wizard's instructions, and accept the install defaults.
    -- f. Reboot when installation is complete.
    -- g. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
    -- h. Click on Start > Run.
    -- i. Browse to myst4_v1.0_to_v1.03_pc.exe, and double-click on it to put it in the Open: box.
    -- j. Click on OK to start the install process.
    -- k. Follow the Wizard's instructions, and accept the install defaults. Reboot when installation is complete.
    ---- 1. Start Revelation from a fresh boot as per steps 2 through 5 under "In general", above.

If Revelation still doesn't run properly, start the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter (Make older programs run in this version of Windows), and try all of the modes under "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?"

And it works! So I reinstalled as you suggested: installing to the default directory and rebooting before applying each patch. I set the compatibility to Windows 98/Me, which was the only one that worked, and it runs just fine. I'm not entirely sure what finally fixed it. I thought I had tried all the compatibility modes before, but then I had installed to a different directory. At some point I tried reinstalling to the default directory, maybe I missed a few compatibility modes? Or was it the installation procedure that did it? Anyway, it works. Thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome. Enjoy Revelation!