G-Rath's Avatar Junior Member

Myst V Steam crash Access Violation Stack Error Win 7

Hi, the other day i got Myst V on Steam, and it ran fine until i load a save game (or make a new one) as i get a Access Violation Stack Error. Looking around, i found the post for Myst V: Main Branch and Access Violation/Stack Error Fixes With Win XP & Vista however this didnt fix my error. Does anyone know a way i can fix this? I really love this game, and so want to finish it!

Originally Posted by G-Rath Go to original post
    Hi, the other day i got Myst V on Steam, and it ran fine until i load a save game (or make a new one) as i get a Access Violation Stack Error. Looking around, i found the post for Myst V: Main Branch and Access Violation/Stack Error Fixes With Win XP & Vista however this didnt fix my error. Does anyone know a way i can fix this? I really love this game, and so want to finish it!

Have you dowloaded the Vista patch (also good for Windows 7), unzipped it and read the readme file to be able to create a special Myst 5 folder as per Heimdall_G's intructions ?

If you did, tell us the exact name and path for that folder.

Originally Posted by nanoukmetal Go to original post
    Have you dowloaded the Vista patch (also good for Windows 7), unzipped it and read the readme file to be able to create a special Myst 5 folder as per Heimdall_G's intructions ?

If you did, tell us the exact name and path for that folder.
    Yes i did try that, however i did so in the my games folder, but have tried now in the appdata/Local folder, however it says to override the files there, but there was not Myst 5 folder to copy the files to (and so i made one). The path is C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Myst V End of Ages

If it is still not working you will have to wait until Heimdal_G comes around. He is the expert around here.

Good luck !

Originally Posted by nanoukmetal Go to original post
    If it is still not working you will have to wait until Heimdal_G comes around. He is the expert around here.

Good luck !
    Will do

Thing major thing that annoys me with this steam says that myst 5 is compatible with win7

Originally Posted by G-Rath Go to original post
    Will do

Thing major thing that annoys me with this steam says that myst 5 is compatible with win7
    It is. lol

I just did a test and installed Myst 5 on my new pc with windows 7 64 bit and everything is working ok.

My procedure after disabling my Antivirus but keeping my firewall on:

1- Installed my 3 cds' version
    2- Installed the Vista/Windows 7 patch after unzipping it. (copied the Myst V End of Ages folder from the patch to ... Computer/Os (C)/ Users/User name/AppData/Local
    3- The first icon created by the Installer is not the right one used for playing so...
    4- I went to Computer/OS (C)/Program Files (X86)/Ubisoft/Cyan Worlds/Myst V End of Ages and sent a copy of eoa.exe to the desktop.(looks like a Myst book)
    5- Next, I did a right click on the "eoa.exe" icon and clicked the compatibility tab...
    6- Ticked the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for: and I did choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    7- At the bottom, I ticked the box "Run this program as an administrator"
    8- After inserting the # 1 cd, I saw the installation splashscreen and closed it.
    9- I left clicked the "eoa.exe" icon and the game started as expected.
    10- After Esher's first speach in the volcano, I saved the game and did check if it worked ok. (it did work ok)

Hoping that this will help.

I did all steps but 10, as the game still crashed. One of the things im wondering about is that cause its Steam , it might not be using the Appdata\Local folder. is that where the save games are kept?

I found out about the Hardware config thing, and so im going to run it on my desktop (which is no ware as good as my laptop, but should gen the files), as so should work.

P.S. Could you tell me the size of the "progress.db" in the root dir of your Myst folder, as i replaced that with the one from the patch, and so have 3 copy's of it, each a different size

P.P.S What i said about the steam and win 7 was that it dont work on Win 7 as is, cause they could have (and should, as steam boasts Auto updates) the patch done with the steam download

The sizes of the progress.db files are:
    1- Size: 405 bytes
    2- Size on disk: 4.00 KB (4.096 bytes)

a) With no saved game, the size of my Myst V End of Ages folder are...
    1) Size: 997 bytes
    2) Size on disk: 12.0 KB

b) With one saved game after the first Esher's speech top of volcano, the sizes are:
    1- Size: 163 KB
    2- Or size on disk: 216 KB

I have no idea why it is showing two different sizes. I am not a computer expert.

Thanks for those sizes, i belive the on disk size is because of compression and the like.

I can run the game on my desktop PC, which is running XP, however the GC on it is rubbish (Geforce 6200) and my laptop is FAR better (Radon 6470m)

The "progress.db" file size seems to change, as i moved it from my XP to Win 7, with a size of 87 bytes. However when i checked after it crashed again on my Win 7, it had changed size, making me wonder if there could be a problem due to the file being changed by this computer (From what i understand, the error is caused by a hardware check that isnt liked by Win 7)

Might try with the file as "Read-Only"

Make certain that you graphic card and sound card have the latest driver.

Ubisoft: How to update drivers...
    http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14