Why have they gotten rid of the free aim in ACU?

I don't think many people noticed that they have gotten rid of the free aim from AC4 in favor of a lock on to your target from AC3...

This was extremely annoying for me in AC3... and I loved the change in AC4!

I would really like to free aim with my gun and phantom blade...

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Are you sure it's gone? Source?

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    does this really need it's own topic? we have a thread for these sort of things

Aphex_Tim's Avatar Senior Member
    AC4 had auto aim as well as free aim. Just because they haven't shown it yet, doesn't mean AC:U won't have free aim.

HoIcon's Avatar Member
    I'm sure free aim is in ACU, it just hasn't been shown because its not a new addition to the series

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    @OP... what?

They have shown the phantom blade off maybe twice? Cant remember as I've only watched the videos once but just cause something isnt showcased doesnt mean its been replaced. Op is misleading.

I hope they haven't removed it. I may be one of the few people who think this, but it was an awesome addition to AC4. While the auto shoot y button thing is fine, the free aim actually added some depth and skill to the shooting. It placed more control in the hands of the player, instead of having them rely on unrealistic weapon stats.

I believe that free aiming will still be in the game though. Because in Unity, apparently you can equip rifles onto your back, there are a few preorder bonuses to confirm just this. IDK why but I think this points towards free aiming..because you don't just auto lock a rifle.. n AC3 whatever you could because they were just one time weapons but..

There are a few time in the demo were Arno zooms in, showing a small reticule. Perhaps this means that you can choose to have no long range weapon equipped.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    Replaying AC3 made me remember how terrible the targeting system is.

It's so easy to air assassinate the wrong guy when you're being timed to kill someone super fast without being detected.

poptartz20's Avatar Senior Member
    I actually Rather enjoyed the free aim aspect as well.. Are we sure about this?

Aphex_Tim's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Wolfmeister1010 Go to original post

There are a few time in the demo were Arno zooms in, showing a small reticule. Perhaps this means that you can choose to have no long range weapon equipped.
    This, as well.
    However, this could be done in AC3 as well and it just served for manual targeting in that game.
    But I still don't think there's any reason to worry. Free aim has been requested since the pistol was introduced in AC2; AC4 finally delivered it and since AC:U seems to have a lot of ranged weapons, I'd be very surprised if it was actually removed again.