malkorion's Avatar Senior Member

malkorion's guide for new players

malkorion's guide for new players
    Created on: June 16, 2014

Background
    I've been playing Duel of Champions since Dec 3, 2013. I used to hover around 1500+ ELO in the old days, but ever since I've stopped caring about my rating I just play at Champion II. I have 97% of the cards, and I haven't spent any money on the game. At the time of writing this guide I have won ~30 Swiss tournaments, and reached several Tier 5 placements in JP. I don't like to play JP, so take that as you will. Even though I don't have the time and dedication to play at a higher competitive level, I consider myself a somewhat competent player. With that out of the way, let's get into the guide.

Current rank / MMR: Champion II, ~1450 ELO

• April 20, 2015: I'm leaving the game indefinitely. Expect no more updates.
    • March 28, 2015: Since mmdocking.com has been defunct for months, I've removed any articles listed on that site.
    • March 25, 2015: Changed the "In the Beginning" section to bring it more up to date.
    • November 8, 2014: I've decided to bring this guide up-to-date as much as I can. You can expect more in the future.
    • November 5, 2014: Card nerfs. See details here.
    • September 19, 2014: Substantial changes have been made to the game via the Sins of Betrayal patch. Please read this for all the details.

Note: I've used several sources for writing this guide, so I will give credit where its due.

In the beginning

Spoiler:  Show
    You've just made your new account, and you've been trying out different things the game has to offer, but you're still not sure what to do. The first thing to do on your list is to complete the tutorial, and at least some of the campaign to gain some additional gold and packs. Then improve your deck(s) and play some ranked matches (this is no longer true, as you can now play unranked duels to earn gold and xp without jeopardizing your ranking) if you haven't done so yet. This is an online game after all. To get more cards, you need to keep playing ranked duels. With every level that you reach you gain 20,000 gold.

Added March 25, 2015
    Follow Mushidoz's guide regarding Base Set 2:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...o-buy-early-on

(Added Aug 12, 2014) *
    I highly recommend that you read everything in the game's Help Section. It's the big question mark (?) in the bottom left corner of the main screen. It explains everything that you need to know initially to play the game. You should do a thorough read at least once to understand everything. As the game is highly skill intensive, and punishes mistakes, learn the rules of the game before engaging in serious tournaments.

Refer a Friend
    Soon you will be able invite your friends to play DoC through an integrated referral system. Referred players will start their game experience with additional cards.
    Additionally, you will earn bonus rewards for bringing new players to the game! Any time a player you refer completes a duel or purchases Seals, you will earn extra currency for free. You could potentially even receive Wildcards or Tournament Tickets if your referred player accomplishes certain tasks. More details to come on this soon.

(Source: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...Spectator-Mode)
    [/B]

Ranks in the game and You

There are several ranks in the game that you can have. Initially you will go through:
    • Recruit
    • Squire
    • Knight
    • Commander
    • Lord Commander

(I don't know the actual MMR levels for these ranks)

As you progress through the ranks you will unlock more quest slots, and new quests will appear.

Champion ranks are more competitive ranks and they also give you quests that reward you with gold. (they used to give you Wildcards and tournament tickets as well, but with later patches these were removed, and new quests have been added) When you play in a Champion rank you get Champion points which count toward your progress in Road 2 Paris seasons.
    • Champion I (~1100 MMR)
    • Champion II (~1450 MMR)
    • Champion III (~1750 MMR)

At the end of the month, you must be near your required minimal MMR level to stay at that rank. This also means that you must have played a few games 7 days before the reset.

General gameplay tips

Events
    Always pay attention to the Event cards because they can make or break your games. Too many times players miss lethal damage, or play Goldpile when there is a Week of Taxes on the board. You should also pay attention to which Event card is coming your way, or your opponent's way, and play accordingly. On your turn, consider whether you want to use your events, and use them before you use your hero's abilities. Week of the Mercenaries is a good example. You should always activate the Event first, because if you flip over a non-creature card, you can at least still give yourself a chance to reveal a creature by drawing a card. Also, don't forget that sometimes you can use your opponent's Event cards against him.

Sequence of events
    Always pay attention to the order of things that you do. If there is an enemy evade creature stuck between two creatures, kill that creature first before attacking the creatures around it. Before upping your Might, play your Stormrage Hunter. Before hitting your enemy's creatures with Fireball, move your own creatures out of the way. Before using a discard spell, increase Ignatius's Destiny to 5. Mistakes like these may cost you the game, so always think about the order of things.

Your hero and You
    Whenever you get the chance, draw a card with your hero. Do this after you've considered all your options. Also, don't forget about your hero's special ability if he or she has one. For example, people sometimes forget that Myranda can relocate her own Magic creatures. This can win you the game.

Combat & Positioning
    A good portion of the game revolves around creatures smashing each other to bits. There are other deck archetypes out there, but let's focus on creatures first. Early in the game, you want to increase your might, and play creatures to establish board presence. You will find that playing creatures first is more important than setting your opponent back a turn by killing that creature he just played. There are, of course, some exceptions to this. For example, it's usually a good idea to play Fire Bolt to kill an early Dark Assassin. Spells should be reserved for crucial moments, when you need to open up lanes to kill your opponent, or when you need to take out a threat that you couldn't handle otherwise.

As a general rule of thumb, you always want to create situations where you have the upper hand in creature combat. For example, your opponent just created a strong lane by playing a Lava Spawn, and a Succubbus behind it. You can block these two creatures by playing a Lurker in the Dark, or a Hellfire Bloater.

Sometimes you will find yourself in a situation where it's usually better not to attack, because you can use your creature as a road block, or wait for your opponent to attack, as his creature will receive retaliation damage. Then you can follow it up with an attack of your own to kill it.
    When blocking, always try to block favorably, and block with creatures that have a good chance of surviving the encounter. A few points of life that you lose by letting through a bigger creature is worth less than the board control you could gain by setting up good situations for your creatures.

The term 'board control' generally means that you are the one in control - by having board presence with more creatures so that you can kill your opponent's creatures, or by having spells to dictate the outcome of combat.

Positioning your creatures on the battlefield correctly is crucial in this game. If you stack your lanes, you can easily get crippled by Moonsilk Strand, severely hindered by Broken Bridge, and blown out by Geyser of Fireball. Always think about the possible dangers you put your creatures into when deploying them.

Another important thing that you should always be mindful of is creating card advantage. Let's say your opponent just filled the board with a lot of weak creatures. By playing Insect Swarm, you trade your one card for your opponent's 8 cards, and have more cards available than your opponent. The most obvious way to gain card advantage is to simply draw more cards than your opponent.

As a final piece of advice, always take every card on the battlefield into consideration. Sometimes the winning move may not seem so obvious, but it's there.

Think with your brain, and not with your mouse. Many players click on a card to play it, but then they change their minds, and cancel the play. This only reveals cards to your opponent, and you should carefully consider your plays BEFORE you click on any of your cards and play them.

How to manage in-game currencies

Gold
    Gold is the basic currency in the game. It is easy to get, and there is plenty of it, so feel free to farm as much as you want. Jackpot tournaments are a convenient way to farm some easy gold by winning at least 3 games, and most players are capable of this. However, high-end players consider gold practically useless now, because you no longer receive Wildcards from packs bought with gold. Also, if you are planning to spend money on this game, never buy gold! Ever! There are several achievements that give you gold as well.

Seals
    Seals are the premium currency in the game. There are very few achievements left that give you seals for free, so it is available only to paying customers. If you are planning to spend money on this game, buy seals because it gives you access to Super Packs that contain twice as many rare/epic cards, and also give you 2 Wildcards.

Check your in-game Achievements screen, and select Seals as a Reward from the top filters to see which Achievements still reward you with Seals.

Wildcards
    Wildcards are cards that you can use at the Altar of Wishes to buy singles. You can get ANY card you want, from ANY edition. To those familiar with Hearthstone, it's basically Dust. The only difference is that you cannot break down your cards to gain Dust. It is generally recommended that you do not spend your Wildcards early on. Consider using them when you have already bought a lot of packs, and spend them only on rare or epic cards. Commons and uncommons are easy to get.

Earning Wildcards
    At the time of writing this guide, the ways to earn Wildcards have been substantially reduced to the following:
    • Super Packs
    • Daily Rewards (1-5 Wildcards on day 7)
    • Achievements
    • By burning 1000 gold worth of cards at the Infernal Pit you will get 1 Wildcard.

• Shalassa's Favor - 50 WC - Reach level 150
    • Ylath's Pride - 75 WC - Reach level 200
    • Arkath's Messenger - 100 WC - Reach level 250
    • The Five Towers - 15 WC - Own 1 of every card from the Five Towers Series
    • Deck Bloater - 5 WC - Win a ranked duel using a 209-card deck
    • The Forgotten Wars - 15 WC - Own 1 of every card from the Forgotten Wars Series
    • Strength in Diversity - 3 WC - Win a ranked duel with a unique creature, spell, fortune, and building in play
    • Slow and steady - 5 WC - Win a ranked duel drawing no additional cards
    • Annihilation - 5 WC - Overkill your opponent by at least 9 damage in a ranked duel
    • Primetime - 5 WC - Start a stream on Twitch
    • Crushing victory - 1 WC - Overkill your opponent by at least 5 damage in a ranked duel
    *Quests no longer give you Wildcards.

The Altar of Wishes

When you first go to the Altar of Wishes, it's generally a good idea to turn Hide Duplicates off, so you can see all the different editions for every card. This way you can avoid buying the wrong (more expensive) cards for Standard.

When a new player first takes a look at the Altar of Wishes, he is confused by all the duplicates. Since the implementation of the Base Set 2 patch, the Altar features old versions of cards, and new versions of cards. The old versions are all more expensive than their new counterparts, and this doesn't make sense to a lot of new players. Why would they want to buy Soulreaver for 6 WC, when they could get one for 2 instead?

To clear up the confusion, old and new cards are functionally the same. However, achievements are very picky about the set symbols. For example, a Base Set 2 Soulreaver will not count towards my achievement for The Collector (to complete Base Set 1).

But the confusion doesn't end there. In the deck editor, every version has its own spot, making the editor look very clunky. Every version has its regular and foil card shown - that's 4 spots by 1 card! Players have already requested a feature to stack all cards into one, to make the deck editor easier to view. (This feature has been implemented by the latest patch. Hide Duplicates is turned on by default in the Altar and the Deckbuilder)

Current prices at the Altar of Wishes (Common / Uncommon / Rare / Epic & Heroic) (Updated November 8, 2014)
    • Legacy cards : 3 / 6 / 12 / 24 (Base Set 1, Void Rising, Herald of the Void, Forgotten Wars, The Five Towers)
    • Base Set 2 : 1 / 2 / 4 / 8
    • Heart of Nightmares and Griffin Bane: 2 / 4 / 8 / 16
    • Sins of Betrayal: 3 / 6 / 12 / 24

The Deck Builder

The interface

The Format Validation filter should be set to Standard by default. Standard is the most accessible format to new players, so this is understandable.

At the top ...

You can filter through your cards by factions or spell schools, card types (hero, event, creature, spell, fortune, and building), rarity (common, uncommon, rare, epic, and heroic), series (sets), advanced options (hide duplicates* of the same card, premium only, new (recently opened cards), unusable, and standard)). Also you can sort your cards by faction, cost, quantity, and rarity. By default, all your cards are sorted by resource cost, starting with 0 and going up.

In the center ...

When you click on the Deck button in the bottom left corner - by default you can sort your decks by format validation or alphabetically. You can also validate them for a certain format

When you open one of your decks, you can edit your deck's name, validate your deck for a certain format or tournament (like Road to Paris which is currently going on).

To quickly check which cards are unavailable for the deck that you are building, turn on the Standard Format Validation filter, and then the Unusable filter at the top. Cards shown in red cannot be added to your deck.

*Note: right now, you may experience some bugs with the Hide Duplicates feature, so you may want to keep it turned off.

The Shop

At the time of writing this guide, the shop is divided into several sections: Standard, Legacy, Premade Decks, and Consumables. Featured just showcases whatever offer they have currently available. You can click on it to see more.

Standard Series
    You can buy packs from the current Base Set, and the latest expansion(s). Regular Packs bought with gold do not contain WC, while Super Packs bought with Seals contain 2 WC, and double the amount of rare/epic cards, including 3 premium, foil cards.
    New players should always buy Base Set packs to establish their collection before jumping into expansion packs.
    If you want to spend Seals here, always go for a box, as it's cheaper to buy a box than individual packs.
    NOTE: The latest expansion is available exclusively for Seals. It becomes available for gold only after two weeks (approximately).

Legacy Series
    This section of the Shop is basically reserved for paying players, as the cards are available exclusively for Seals. I highly recommend that new players focus on the Standard part of the game, because it's easier and more fair for them to get into.

Premade Decks (updated July 9)
    Premade expert level decks for each faction are available for 1000 seals each. These decks feature heroes from the latest expansion set. It's a quick way to get into the new expansion. However, the price is very steep - you're better off buying a box because you get wildcards you wouldn't get otherwise.

Redeem Code
    You can see this button in the bottom right corner of the shop. Codes usually give you packs, and gold, sometimes even boxes. These codes are regularly given out during MMDoC streams (see at the end of this guide), but sometimes they are posted on the official Facebook page, or on the forums. You may still find working codes around the internet, but about half of them are obsolete now, or defunct. Each code works only once, and sometimes they are temporary, so you have to be quick to redeem them.

*Still working codes (added Aug 3, 2014)
    TH4NK5-70K-D0C-F4CEB00K-L3G1ON

*Inactive codes (added Nov 9, 2014)
    CD-Action-Play-MMDoC

**NOTE: Since these codes have been around for months, I cannot guarantee they will still work, and I don't know any more active codes. I suppose I will add them when they are new.

Consumables
    The only thing to consider buying here are tournament tickets. Why? Because the price you pay for 6 of these tickets are way less than the prizes which you can win.
    1 tix = 20,000 gold
    6 tix = 275 Seals
    Super Pack = 125 / 150 Seals
    Assuming you win all 6 tournaments, that's 2400 Seals worth of boosters you can win, as of now - 1st place gets three Super Packs. Even if you only get to 2nd place, you still get three regular packs. But only buy tournament tickets when you know what you're doing. It's a good investment, but you have to be consistent in your wins. (always check the Swiss Tournament screen for the latest rewards, as this is subject to change)

Special deals
    When a new expansion is released, the game usually offers a discount on old products (most often it's the latest expansion). You may want to plan your purchases with this in mind.
    Also, there are flash sales - sales that are available for a limited time only. Past offers include alternate art cards, booster packs at a 40% discount, tournament tickets for cheaper, etc. See the Featured section of the shop for the latest offer.

The Infernal Pit

The Infernal Pit allows you to 'burn' your unwanted cards for gold and a chance to get a randomly selected premium card, which is changed every 8 hours. You should avoid the Infernal Pit early on, as there are achievements that give you cards based on the number of cards you have in your collection (5,000 cards give you Ariana of the Severed Fates), but there is also an achievement that gives you an alternate art Garant for burning cards (You have to burn 1,000 cards). Once your collection has grown to a huge size (5,000), it's time to burn some cards. Especially now, because they have foils in the pit.*

Here's a great collection of information regarding the Pit.

Note (!) : It's a good idea to turn off Hide Duplicates while you're in the Infernal Pit, as this will enable you to avoid burning cards that you want to keep from a certain set.

*A Sins of Betrayal patch enabled the Infernal Pit to give you Wildcards for burning your cards. 1000 gold = 1 Wildcard

Sets and Formats

Many new players that have recently started to play the game are confused by the concept of formats, and where each set belongs. To clarify:
    Base Sets are sets that form the backbone of any competitive format. The current core is Base Set 2. I'm saying current, because this might change in the future. Base Set means just that - Base Set. It doesn't refer to Standard as a whole.
    Expansion packs are additional sets of cards.

NEW
    Here's a rundown of all the sets that were released so far:
    - Base Set 1 (featuring Inferno, Stronghold, Necropolis, and Haven. the backbone for the Open format)
    - Void Rising (added Sanctuary)
    - Herald of the Void (most notable for the Unique Spell cycle)
    - Forgotten Wars (added Academy)
    - The Five Towers (most notable for the Unique Tower cycle)
    - Base Set 2 (a compilation of cards from the previous sets - the base set for the new Standard format)
    - Heart of Nightmares
    - Griffin Bane (most notable for the Unique Fortune cycle, and stackable creatures)
    - Sins of Betrayal (most notable for cards like Spell Stealer Heretic, Bound Succubus, and many others)

Formats dictate what sets are available to use for players. Right now there are three formats:
    1. Open - You can play any card from any set (Base Set or expansion) in this format. You are restricted only by your own imagination.
    2. Standard - Base Set 2 + Heart of Nightmares + Griffin Bane + Sins of Betrayal + any expansion in the future. (Standard maybe a subject to change in the future)
    3. Weekly - Weekly is basically Open, the only difference is that you must follow certain deck building rules.

Tournaments

Before I get into tournaments, I want to get something out of the way. Since the Base Set 2 patch, your MMR (your skill rating) is hidden, but it can still be seen by certain replay manager software. ELO is just an old expression for the same thing. TELO is the ELO that is used for tournament play like JP. It has nothing to do with your skill rating, it's just an ad hoc rating used for Jackpot tournaments.

Matches played in Swiss tournaments and/or Weekly Format no longer give Champion Points. Additionally, Swiss events and Weekly Format matches will not affect your progression towards your next class. Jackpot tournaments remain unchanged, and rewards for all types of tournaments will stay the same.

Jackpot

- What are Jackpot Tournaments?
    In Jackpot Tournaments, players compete for gold from the jackpot. As competitors play games, 70% of their winnings go toward the jackpot (note that this means you earn less gold from playing games in the Jackpot Tournament). At the end, the top 30% of competitors share in gold from the jackpot.

- When do Jackpot Tournaments occur?
    Jackpot tournaments are available every day, but the format changes on a daily basis. (See the Format Rotation Schedule below!)

- Do I need tickets to participate in Jackpot Tournaments?
    No, you do not need tickets. Anyone can participate. However, you will only gain 30% of the normal amount of gold when playing Jackpot, because the remaining 70% gold goes toward the jackpot.

- How does the Jackpot Tournament ladder work?
    Jackpot Tournaments have their own ladder and MMR/TELO (TELO stands for Tournament ELO) system which resets every tournament. Basically, When you play in Jackpot everyone starts at zero TELO, and you are generally matched against opponents of similar TELO (not regular ladder MMR/ELO). You generally gain/lose ~30 TELO per game.

- How are the rewards distributed?

Here are some rough estimates of the rewards:
    Tier 1: ~45k gold
    Tier 2: ~35k gold
    Tier 3: ~20k gold
    Tier 4: ~10k gold
    Tier 5: ~5k gold

- How are the Jackpot tiers calculated?

Tier 1: Top 1% of all competitors
    Tier 2: Top 2% of all competitors
    Tier 3: Top 6% of all competitors
    Tier 4: Top 12% of all competitors
    Tier 5: Top 30% of all competitors

- Why do players talk about tiers in terms of TELO?
    Basically, it is used as an estimate. Your rank can change depending on how well other players do, so if you were rank 1 at the beginning of Jackpot, you probably will not be rank 1 at the end of Jackpot. On the other hand, the TELO that you have earned does not change, so it can be a useful estimate of what tier you will end up in. However, the official calculation depends on your rank.

The estimated TELO tiers are:
    Tier 5: ~90 TELO
    Tier 4: ~120 TELO
    Tier 3: ~150 TELO
    Tier 2: ~240 TELO
    Tier 1: ~270+TELO.

- How can I check how many competitors there are in a Jackpot Tournament
    Unfortunately, there is no easy way. But you can scroll all the way down to the bottom of the Jackpot Leaderboard screen to see how many ranks there are, which takes only a few seconds. After a Jackpot Tournament finishes, you will get a notification telling you the number of competitors. You can estimate the number of competitors based on numbers from previous tournaments. (there is a quick Jackpot tier calculator in my spread sheet - see at the bottom)

- When do I get my reward?
    About 1 hour and 10 minutes after the end of the tournament. You will get a notification.

- What achievements are there for Jackpot Tournaments?
    If you get Tier 1 in Jackpot, you get a Reinforcement pack from Base Set 1.
    If you get Rank 1 in Jackpot, you get “The Box”, which is a Base Set 1 box.

(Source)

Swiss (Updated July 9)

Many beginners have problems with the Swiss Tournaments in Duel of Champions – in this little FAQ I'll explain everything what you have to know about it.
    Swiss tournament matches run on a timer for each player, like in Chess. When you hit the end turn button, your timer stops ticking until it's your turn again.

- What is a Swiss Tournament?
    8 Players participate in every Swiss Tournament, and each of them plays 3 games to determine the victor.
    The first round is completely random.
    After the first round, you get your opponent depending on his score (wins-losses-draws). The best players in the tournament are fighting the other winners. That means:
    Round 1: Random
    Round 2: 1:0 vs. 1:0 – 1:0 vs. 1:0 – 0:1 vs. 0:1 – 0:1 vs. 0:1
    Round 3: 2:0 vs. 2:0 – 1:1 vs. 1:1 – 1:1 vs. 1:1 – 0:2 vs. 0:2
    In the end there is only one player with a 3:0 – he has won the tournament!

- Does playing in Swiss Tournaments affect my regular ladder MMR/ELO?
    No.

- What are the rewards, and why shouldn't I just leave after the first loss?

First place gets: 1 Super Pack from the latest expansion + 2 Super Packs from the sets before it (see the Swiss Tournament screen for details)
    Second place gets: 1 Regular Pack from the latest expansion + 2 Regular Packs from the set before it
    Random prize: 1 Pack from the latest expansion + 1 Tournament Ticket (so you can try again if you want - a really good consolation prize if you ask me)

You shouldn't leave after the first loss because a) you just waste your ticket; b) you ruin the score of another player; and c) you lose your chance to get the random prize. (because you have to stay until the very end for a chance to win)

- When can I play Swiss Tournaments?
    Swiss Tournaments are available every day, but the format changes on a daily basis. (See the Format Rotation Schedule below!)
    Of course you can always play private Swiss Tournaments with your friends, but there is no reward.

- When should I start to play Swiss Tournaments?
    That’s a hard question. The rewards are nice, also it gives some nice achievements for playing Swisses. But you should save your tickets until you feel good enough with your deck to have a realistic chance to win. As a new player, I would suggest not to play Swisses before you have reached Champion I, and have an established collection of cards for at least ONE competitive deck and the skill to play it. This is because many new players just jump into Swisses with high expectations, but then they get severely beaten and may never want to compete again.

- Can I leave the tournament lobby after the third match, if someone else is still playing?
    Yes. You will still have the chance to win the random prize, and you will still get your prizes if you are 1st or 2nd. :-)

- How is the Score calculated?
    - Every win gives you 5 points
    - Every loss gives you 1 point

- What are breakpoints?
    The breakpoints are there most of all to decide the second place. In a normal tournament there will be 2 players in the end with a 2:1 record. The breakpoints decide who is getting the second place and who is getting the third place.

- How do I earn breakpoints?
    Your breakpoints are really easy to calculate.

score of your first opponent + final score of your second opponent + score of your third opponent

For example: Your first opponent has in the end a 1:2, your second opponent a 2:1 and your last opponent a 3:0 record.
    That would mean you have 7 (1 win, 2 loses = score 7) + 11 (2 wins, 1 lose = score 11) + 15 (3 wins = score 15) = 33 breakpoints.
    That means, if your opponents are showing a good performance in their other 2 games, you are earning more breakpoints. If your opponents are leaving the tournament after the game against you or if they are just losing their games, your chance to get the second place is really low. So don't be a sour sport and leave Swisses early on. That will just ruin the experience for everyone else.

- What is a Draw?
    Draws are really rare. Normally this happens only if a game is bugged or if someone is killing himself and his opponent with a Tower of Oblivion in the same turn.

- What happens if the time counter reaches 0:00?
    The player who has no time left loses the game instantly.

(Source)

Weekly

The Weekly Format changes from week to week, and the rules for deck building are usually very different from what you'd expect. It is only available for Jackpot and Swisses.

***FORMAT ROTATION SCHEDULE***

Formats for each kind of tournament change every day after 1PM or 2PM (CET), depending on whether it's winter.

The Tutorial & The Campaigns + Puzzles

Complete the Tutorial first, then try to complete some of the Campaign missions when they become available to you. This will give you additional gold and eventually packs to bolster your collection. As you work your way through the campaign missions with each faction, you will get more and more packs, and if you manage to complete all of them, you will also get ~40 WC.
    The campaign missions start off easy, and will get progressively harder to beat. Some of them will seem completely ridiculous to you, but eventually you can beat them. If you find a mission too hard to beat, play some ranked games and get new cards, then try again.

Puzzles
    After you've beaten a campaign, a puzzle becomes available to you. These puzzles offer nominal rewards, but they are great to get you thinking. I won't spoil any of the campaigns here by showing you the solutions to them. You should always try to figure them out for yourself first. If you become frustrated, you can always look online.

How to improve your game
    To gain some more skill, always learn from your mistakes, learn from your opponent, or his mistakes, observe professional players through their replays or videos they have posted on YouTube. Most of the things you will learn through trial and error. In the beginning, play slower if you have to. Do not rush things, and make stupid mistakes like playing Goldpile while Week of Taxes is active. You have 2 minutes to think, so use that time.

Game lingo

X-drop - Goblin Scout is a 1-drop because it's a creature that costs 1 resource to play. That simple.

Tempo - Tempo is the ability to play threats faster than your opponent can answer them. A deck with a lot of tempo can either swarm the opposition, or kill them in only a few turns with a devastating combo. A couple of scenarios include:
    1) Playing 2 Gold Piles and 3 Lava Spawns on turn one.
    2) Playing a Gate to Sheogh revealing an Abyssal Lord. That's just a huge tempo gain, and your opponent has to react.

But, of course, tempo is not as simple as that. It's also your ability to keep up with your opponent's threats. For example, when you're facing a board full of creatures, and you have a Shi-No-Shi in your hand, you're losing a lot of tempo if you play it just to block one row, when it would be a better move to play more stuff. 8 resources - a lot of tempo lost!

Tempo loss also refers to spending resources but not developing your board. Losing tempo early on may cost you the game, and you might never catch up with your opponent's threats.

Card Advantage - Simply put, this is having more and/or better cards than your opponent. For example, your opponent has just played 3 Goblin Scouts, and your field is empty. Looks like you're in a lot of trouble. But you draw - and it's an Earthquake! You trade one of your cards for your opponent's three creatures. Situations like this are called 3-for-1 (X-for-Y, just replace the letters), because you're getting a two-card advantage. If you spend less cards than your opponent, use them more efficiently, and/or draw more, then you have card advantage.

Another term I like to use is Virtual Card Advantage - When you simply disable a part of your opponent's deck. For example, your opponent plays a Lava Spawn and a Succubus. Strong lane, right? But if you play a Lurker in the Dark in front of them, you've just made those creatures useless for your opponent. Similar cards include: The Strength of the Sea (disables fortune cards), Blackskull Crusher (disables enemy spells), you get the point. Always look for ways to gain some advantage.

Mill - The term 'milling' actually comes from another game, Magic: the Gathering. The card Millstone puts cards from the top of your opponent's deck into their graveyard. Hence the term - milling. In MtG, if you can't draw a card when you have to - you lose. However, in MMDoC it's a bit different. When you run out of cards, for every card you can't draw (like by activating Celebrations) you lose 1 life. Milling is considered an alternate win condition in the game - the main one being 'bash your opponent's head in with mean critters.' The poster child for this sort of deck is mainly Hakeem because of his spell school combination and stats, but Asalah mill deck can work just as well. Typical cards include Void Shades, Offering to the Void, Cosmic Realignment, and Void Tainted Ritual.

OTK - One Turn Kill. OTK decks are basically combo decks that try to go off at a critical turn and kill you in one swing. They gather their combo pieces for turns, and use cards like Week of Knowledge, Night of the Rising Moon, etc. to draw more cards. When they have all the cards they need, they kill you in one turn. Classic OTK decks are Shaar (Kitten) OTK, Masfar OTK. The main thing about these decks are the spells that buff up your creatures. Shalassa's Blade is a good example, combined with other cards it creates a lethal combination of damage.

Wombo Combo - Refers to the classic The Song of the Lost + Ice Splinters combo. The more recent wombo-combo was the Nether Curse + Empowered Spell instant kill lock. (Pre-patch)

Topdecking - drawing the right card from the top of your deck at the right moment.

Lethal (damage) - the amount of damage that is enough to kill your opponent. when you have lethal on (the) board, you win. If you're not careful enough when looking at the board, you may miss lethal. This is crucial, because you may never get that chance again in the game, so be careful and always pay attention.

How stuff works - Time stamps, triggers, and the order of things

There are things in the game that you are not told up front - not in the tutorial or in the help section. There are certain things that happen behind the scenes.

a) Every card you play comes with a time stamp. The creature that you played first will attack first. Let's say you set up a lane with two creatures. First, a Succubus, then a Juggernaut. Your opponent plays a Hellfire Maniac in front of them. Your Succubus attacks first, and dies. Then your Juggernaut attacks, and dies. Basically, the oldest played card will trigger first, do its stuff, etc.

If your opponent would have moved a wounded Hellfire Maniac in front of them (let's say with 2 hp), the Succubus would trade with the Maniac, but then the Juggernaut would have a clear lane to attack.

b) When a creature attacks, it triggers any effects it has first. Dark Assassin is a good example, and one you should watch out for. If you're at 1hp, and your opponent is at 4, attacking with the Dark Assassin would always kill you first, because the trigger resolves before the damage is dealt.

c) Poison and regeneration - poison damage and regeneration effects happen in the order the players have applied them. Let's say I have a Newborn Vampire, and I've played two Mass Regenerations last turn. My opponent plays a Putrid Dragon's Breath on my vampire. The order of things looks like this:
    1) +2 hp from Mass Regeneration
    1) -2 hp from poison damage
    The vampire is left at 1 hp, and the above will happen again next turn. Heal first, then poison damage is applied.

If your opponent poisons your creatures first, and then you play Mass Regeneration, your creatures would be dead before they could regenerate because poison is applied first.

d) Another card that you should watch out for is Mass Rage. At first glance, all creatures seem to attack in tandem, but remember that they attack in the order they were played. Let's say that there's a Mass Rage on the field, and you've played a Cursed Bound on your opponent's Neophyte Lich that he played first, and you block an Archlich that he played second. Both of you are at 2 life, but because of the time stamps, your opponent will die first from the Cursed Bound, even though both of you will be at 0 life.

e) When you play a card, whatever a card does will always happen first before anything else, even if it triggers another card's effect. Then it triggers everything else on the board in the order they were played. Let's say that I am at 2 life, but I've just played a Fountain of Youth in the hopes that my opponent will play something and I will survive. Unfortunately, my opponent plays Altar of Destruction, killing me instantly. This is because even though Altar of Destruction triggers my Fountain of Youth, the card's effect will resolve first, dealing 2 damage.

f) Sweep attack and Preemptive Strike. Let's say there are creatures right next to each other, and one on the left or right has Preemptive Strike. If you attack the center one (a regular creature) with a creature that has Sweep Attack, it will trigger Preemptive Strike. So be careful!

g) Area Blast and Evade. If your Chaos Lacerator attacks a Rakshasa Skirmisher (or any creature with Evade), it will trigger Area Blast, and they will both get damaged.

Sample decklists
    If you're looking for competitive decklists, look here:
    Competitive Standard decklists (jkkk89)

Other good places to look for decks are:
    http://www.mmdoctools.com/
    http://www.platoongaming.fr/

Useful sites / threads:

L4m4B4l0n1k's Blog
    Official Site > Beginner's Guide
    Duel of Champions - Replay Manager - a very useful tool to manage your replays, and see your opponent's decklists, and the MMR / ELO of both players.
    Banduan's Guide

!!! Latest site for card database, decks, and replays: MMDoC Tools !!!

Official Facebook profile
    Codes on Facebook profile

Useful videos:

Streams
    cucu99 (daily stream, good stuff, definitely recommend it)
    Official Stream
    Also look for Aza404's channel on YouTube, as he has some great commentary

Misc final notes:
    - For in-game abilities and terms, check the game's glossary. Look for the big ? symbol.
    - Check your Achievements screen under your Profile tab because you can get various rewards for a lot of things (gold, seals, wildcards, packs, banners, special art cards, etc.), and also check here to track your achievements
    - You might want to get an excel spreadsheet here to keep track of your collection (card collection updated up to Sins of Betrayal)
    - Check the forums on a regular basis for announcements
    - Duel of Champions has Twitch Streams available (click here)
    - Twitch Streams are on Tuesdays (you can win free codes or packs during the stream, so it's worth checking out. Make sure you register and follow the stream to have a chance to win. Whenever they announce a Raffle, always type the following and hit enter: !raffle)
    - If you defeat a faction in a duel, you get that faction's starter deck
    - If you have questions, post them here.
    - Any questions about card interactions, or possible bugs, ask here.

F. A. Q.
    - What should I buy with my gold? When to stop buying?
    > Get a bit of everything, but ultimately I'd go for a systematic approach. Buy BS2 packs until you have 3-4 copies of key commons & uncommons, and then spend some wildcards to get the missing rares, epics, and heroes. Rinse and repeat for the expansions.

- How should I spend my Wildcards?
    > As a general rule of thumb, don't spend your Wildcards on commons and uncommons. Instead, keep them for rares, epics, unique cards. Try to get 4 copies of every important card in the game.

- How do I see the full art on a card in the Deck Builder / Altar of Wishes / Ingame?
    > To get the full art on a card, just hold down your middle mouse button.

- I won some cards from the campaign, but I can't use them. Why?
    > You won cards that are most likely not available for Standard play. The deckbuilder is set to Standard by default. If you switch it to Open, your newly earned cards become available. Older versions of reprints can be used in Standard.

- Where can I find my replays?
    It's a hidden folder, so you have to make sure to see the hidden files. The path is:
    c:\users\username\appdata\local\ubisoft\might and magic duel of champions\replay

- When can I use the Infernal Pit?
    The Infernal Pit unlocks when you reach level 5.

If you have anything to add to my guide, please send me a PM. I'll include your contribution, and give you credit.

\o/

Thanks and good job, you seem like a cool dude!

Great, excelent work!!!!

planeswalker17's Avatar Member
    Haven't read everything in detail, but it seems awesome and extremely detailed. Great job

Maybe you should just add a mention to Cucu99's (almost daily) stream, as a good way to watch and learn the game from an experienced player. And at the same time mention the new spectator mode, which combined with the 50 friends achievement could provide some extra learning material, if the newbie befriends some experienced players from the community.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi's Avatar Community Representative
    Good work, this should help new players.

I wonder why this hasn't been stickied yet.

Originally Posted by thanasis Go to original post
    I wonder why this hasn't been stickied yet.
    It hasn't been stickied because I'm a nobody. I'm not a top player, or any of the VIPs. Just a "random scrub" who wants to help new players.

+1 for sticky
    Nice job Malkorion

updated with Grffin Bane
    does anyone know the prizes for 2nd and 3rd place in Swiss right now? is it the same, or they changed that too?

Originally Posted by malkorion Go to original post
    updated with Grffin Bane
    does anyone know the prizes for 2nd and 3rd place in Swiss right now? is it the same, or they changed that too?
    2nd: HoN + GB pack (normal)
    3rd: Chance for BS2 pack + 1 ticket

At least, thats what the picture on the Swiss tab shows

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►