View Poll Results: What Do You Think About This System In AC Unity?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely no. I like spending money to get equipment.

1 8.33%
  • Not really feeling it that much.

2 16.67%
  • I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.

2 16.67%
  • I think it would be a pretty decent system.

3 25.00%
  • I think it would be a very good system.

4 33.33%

A "Non Economic" Economy?

So as many of you know, the French Revolution was a time of severe economic chaos. I have been thinking, and I am kinda bored of the current economic system. Ever since AC2, we have been using easily earned cash to buy all sorts of things and we always complain about how it is too easy to buy all the good equipment, it isn't paced very well, or there is no reason to spend money.

Of course it would be too late to change the game this late in dev but I was wondering what you guys think of an economic idea I have for the french revolution game. Let's pretend Unity wasn't happening.

Two birds with one stone: It seems kinda strange that a city completely torn apart economically would be able to have a bunch of happy vendors selling you all sorts of equipment. In a way to curb this issue and also get rid of the issue with the economy system pacing, I suggest that things like outfits, weapons, and equipment largely get rewarded by completing missions and exploring the city.

There is nothing more awesome in an RPG game like sky rim that exploring a dangerous dungeon, getting to the final room, an getting the ultimate prize: an awesome new weapon. I think that the same philosophy should happen in AC. Instead of having all the excitement taken out by letting us have access to all the weapons from the start as long as we are rich enough, why not let each piece of equipment be an awesome surprise for completing missions? It would force you to pace yourself, getting more and more awesome weapons as the game progresses. I know I am not the only one who has completely ignored all the decent weapons in order to save up for the best one. Then you have all those weapons you didn't get. You feel empty inside.

Even if the weapon you are rewarded with isn't amazing, I would still love it because getting rewarded with mystery weapons and equipment..playing a mission with the unbelievable antiquation of getting said mystery reward, is a feeling that makes me love video games.

This system would make you feel like you EARNED all your equipment and weapons and feel like they are more a part of you. It would make you feel better about being an unstoppable badass. "Hey, I got this sword as a reward for locking up that murderer in one of the 1000 stories of Paris missions. It took me a while to piece all the evidence together. I earned this weapon!" sounds a lot better than: "Oh, yeah this sword has the best attack and speed of all of them, I had to go sell a bunch of crap and not buy ANYTHING else and now I have it. "

What do you guys think?

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    I like the idea. But like you said most people ignore the small weapons and just save up for the big ones.

I think Ubi should just stop having 'varied' weapons when one weapon is almost always superior to the others.

edit: even though the superiority just means killing somone in 1 second instead of 1.5 seconds.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Maybe not exploring loads of dungeons to get weapons cause I would wonder why someone put it there....

BUTTTTTTTTTT

It could work for side missions, having tiers and such.

Tier 1 - Low level weapons/pouches
    Tier 2 - Better level weapons/pouches
    Tier 3 - Betterer level weapons

BLAH BLAH

And each tier is a difficulty level based on that side mission. So higher mission, bigger reward. Would mean more people attempting side missions.

However, they would have to follow on to stop people just doing all tier 3's.

And there could still be like black market dealers who sell things like ammo and BASIC BASIC equipment/weapons.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    I never needed to buy ammo. There was almost always one on soldiers.

Though I never had smoke bombs because I never go to the shops until after i beat the story mode.

Defeats the purpose, I know. But I can still kill armies with the basic stuff in Ac:3 and 4 lol.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    Assassin's Creed doesn't need an economic system, this is pointless simply because the differences between one equipment and another (stat-wise) are barely noticiable (specially on weapons case), just make it like it was in AC1 and make new weapons available as we advance in the story, no need to have up to 15 different swords when the main difference between them is the skin.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Mayrice has a good point. I never bought ammo either, you just loot, its free. They should remove loot.

Xstantin's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    Mayrice has a good point. I never bought ammo either, you just loot, its free. They should remove loot.
    Or make it really scare so Arno actually has to look for it akin to stealing rare items from rich citizens in AC3.

Sesheenku's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by dxsxhxcx Go to original post
    Assassin's Creed doesn't need an economic system, this is pointless simply because the differences between one equipment and another (stat-wise) are barely noticiable (specially on weapons case), just make it like it was in AC1 and make new weapons available as we advance in the story, no need to have up to 15 different swords when the main difference between them is the skin.
    That won't be the case this time or did you not hear about the fact that equipment will boost certain play styles? They also said weapons won't just be stat differences either, they'll all be more useful for something. I bet spears will be more useful for larger enemies or larger groups for example.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Sesheenku Go to original post
    That won't be the case this time or did you not hear about the fact that equipment will boost certain play styles? They also said weapons won't just be stat differences either, they'll all be more useful for something. I bet spears will be more useful for larger enemies or larger groups for example.
    knowing Ubisoft, at this point this are all just promises, they "sell" these "standalone" demos but we all know from experience that many of the things we saw might not even appear in the final game and I believe that if something goes wrong and they need to cut something I bet this will probably be at the top of the list of things that can be cut from the game.