🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by sizemic1 Go to original post
    Is there any point in requesting songs that are finger picked?
    Not sure if Ubi would release such tracks.
    Request away.

What kind of licensing hurdles would Ubi have to go through to release a cover of a song?
    ie... Great White covering Led Zep's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
    Cake's "I Will Survive" shows it is possible. But please read the first post in this thread to see what kind of licensing hurdles we would have to go through.

Originally Posted by sizemic1 Go to original post
    Is there any point in requesting songs that are finger picked?
    Not sure if Ubi would release such tracks.
    Request away.

What kind of licensing hurdles would Ubi have to go through to release a cover of a song?
    ie... Great White covering Led Zep's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
    Cake's "I Will Survive" shows it is possible. But please read the first post in this thread to see what kind of licensing hurdles we would have to go through.

Originally Posted by Costlyspider Go to original post
    I have a question, I know you said, your mainly putting out new bands for dlc at the moment, but do you guys ever look at some of the top or better selling dlc, and say hey this one sold really well the band has a huge catagory, maybe we should see if we could put out more of there songs, as the is an obvious demand for them.
    Yes, we look at that data and think those things. One pack does not mean you'll never get more, but right now the focus is on breadth of many artists, not depth of one artist. But there is no hard rule suggesting "we can never do that artist again" just because we've done a pack.

Originally Posted by Costlyspider Go to original post
    I have a question, I know you said, your mainly putting out new bands for dlc at the moment, but do you guys ever look at some of the top or better selling dlc, and say hey this one sold really well the band has a huge catagory, maybe we should see if we could put out more of there songs, as the is an obvious demand for them.
    Yes, we look at that data and think those things. One pack does not mean you'll never get more, but right now the focus is on breadth of many artists, not depth of one artist. But there is no hard rule suggesting "we can never do that artist again" just because we've done a pack.

Sweet so I can keep looking forward for my Madien,Megadeath 50 to 100 pack, JK a guy can dream cant he

fatherrock's Avatar Senior Member
    The more I look at the process the more I say
    hmmm

call, ask, wait.........

as a suggestion

would this be better?

call for an appointment
    fly there and meet face to face
    talk about their desires and concerns about offering their music as DLC
    close the deal

I personally think talking to these folks face to face will bring a better response.

that's just me

I nominate fatherrock to be Ubisoft's licensing head honcho. He seems to have it nailed.

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    1) That specificity screws up the request app in a big way, and what's more...we're going to get whatever version of the song we can, starting with the most famous edition first. So if you like a live version or an album version but the studio version is what everybody knows from the radio, we're likely to go with the one everybody knows even if you subjectively feel the solos are more interesting on the live version. (Please note our version of My Sharona is the full album version, with the epic solo. It swings both ways.) We take song suggestions, but there should not be an expectation of custom-built content.
    Curiously, for Smoke On The Water a lesser-known version was used, with an alternate guitar solo. For Rock And Roll All Nite, I don't know which is more famous, but in RS the (IMHO) blah studio version was used, whereas in either GH or RB they used a live version with a cool guitar solo.

As for rights, I recall that Pour Some Sugar On Me is a re-record, because Def Leppard themselves don't own the rights to the original recording and the record company that does was being a **** about licensing, so Def Leppard simply went and re-recorded it so it was available to Ubi. Perhaps they're the band who are trying to find some time to re-record one of their greatest hits -- come to think of it, that might explain why we haven't seen DL DLC yet. Here's hoping!

Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by armoury_R1 Go to original post
    Curiously, for Smoke On The Water a lesser-known version was used, with an alternate guitar solo. For Rock And Roll All Nite, I don't know which is more famous, but in RS the (IMHO) blah studio version was used, whereas in either GH or RB they used a live version with a cool guitar solo.

As for rights, I recall that Pour Some Sugar On Me is a re-record, because Def Leppard themselves don't own the rights to the original recording and the record company that does was being a **** about licensing, so Def Leppard simply went and re-recorded it so it was available to Ubi. Perhaps they're the band who are trying to find some time to re-record one of their greatest hits -- come to think of it, that might explain why we haven't seen DL DLC yet. Here's hoping!
    They also have to contend with what version the license owner is willing to give. My guess is that with Rock And Roll All Nite, knowing the strife with the former band members, Paul and Gene didn't want the Ace Frehley solo in the game.

Even though the live version is the more recognized version, and certainly the better one in my opinion.

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Originally Posted by fatherrock Go to original post
    The more I look at the process the more I say
    hmmm

call, ask, wait.........

as a suggestion

would this be better?

call for an appointment
    fly there and meet face to face
    talk about their desires and concerns about offering their music as DLC
    close the deal

I personally think talking to these folks face to face will bring a better response.

that's just me
    I could be wrong but that seems like a lot of wasted time, money and effort for all parties involved when we have technology now that enables us to meet face to face on the internet if it is necessary.

I don't think they're really looking at suggestions for the process but this Topic is more focused on letting you know the specifics of how the DLC is selected. There have always been so many questions regarding the process that it's more for clarification purposes. I can guarantee you that they know how best to navigate the system to get you DLC.

P308R's Avatar Member
    @DanAmrich

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the song selection process. I am not here to complain or to request but I was wondering with all the songs released, is there ever a thought been given to release some "lessons" by guitarteachers? Or license certain guitarist to give a teaching session and offer this as DLC?

Could give some insight on this?

KinchBlade's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Black_Widow9 Go to original post
    I could be wrong but that seems like a lot of wasted time, money and effort for all parties involved when we have technology now that enables us to meet face to face on the internet if it is necessary.

I don't think they're really looking at suggestions for the process but this Topic is more focused on letting you know the specifics of how the DLC is selected. There have always been so many questions regarding the process that it's more for clarification purposes. I can guarantee you that they know how best to navigate the system to get you DLC.
    Walter White knew best...

A noiseless patient spider,
    I mark’d where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
    Mark’d how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
    It launch’d forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
    Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.