DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by Moodyblues57 Go to original post
    Haha, got it Dan, thanks! I think I was making the mistake of assuming that a vote for a song by Josie and the Pussycats could also be tallied as a vote for that band in general. So, if I voted for all 400 of their songs, would that carry less weight for that band than 400 people requesting assorted songs by them? Never mind, I am confused. I've already voted for every song in the Josie and the Pussycats catalog anyway!
    Oh! Well, yes, that would also be counted as 400 votes for that band, but we do see artist and song data side by side, in context. That way if we see 400 votes for Josie, we immediately look over and go "Okay, that's 150 for this song, 80 for this, and 2 for this song that is actually by Jem & the Holograms." Because that happens too -- I have seen requests for Stairway to Heaven by AC/DC and things like that.

Originally Posted by Moodyblues57 Go to original post
    Haha, got it Dan, thanks! I think I was making the mistake of assuming that a vote for a song by Josie and the Pussycats could also be tallied as a vote for that band in general. So, if I voted for all 400 of their songs, would that carry less weight for that band than 400 people requesting assorted songs by them? Never mind, I am confused. I've already voted for every song in the Josie and the Pussycats catalog anyway!
    Oh! Well, yes, that would also be counted as 400 votes for that band, but we do see artist and song data side by side, in context. That way if we see 400 votes for Josie, we immediately look over and go "Okay, that's 150 for this song, 80 for this, and 2 for this song that is actually by Jem & the Holograms." Because that happens too -- I have seen requests for Stairway to Heaven by AC/DC and things like that.

Originally Posted by np2091 Go to original post
    Dan, I was wondering how the team feels about prog. The Rush pack is one of my favorites and is very fun to play, and it probably sold very well. Some of Iron Maiden's later stuff can also (arguably) be referred to as prog. Without actually requesting any songs in particular (I already did that ) have you guys given much though to prog in general? Both Dream Theater and Symphony X have songs that range from easy to extremely difficult, but prog is known for its time signature changes, which keeps the song fresh throughout. The only problem I see is that prog songs are usually very long. I don't expect to see 2112 or Octavarium in the game any time soon.

So yeah, I was wondering what thoughts you had about prog, since I think its often gets overlooked.
    People keep requesting it. We totally get that there's a technical challenge and much to be learned from the genre. We certainly aren't ruling it out; we're constantly evaluating new material.

I would say we are neither for or against any genre, prog included. It's all just music that might work in our game.

Originally Posted by np2091 Go to original post
    Dan, I was wondering how the team feels about prog. The Rush pack is one of my favorites and is very fun to play, and it probably sold very well. Some of Iron Maiden's later stuff can also (arguably) be referred to as prog. Without actually requesting any songs in particular (I already did that ) have you guys given much though to prog in general? Both Dream Theater and Symphony X have songs that range from easy to extremely difficult, but prog is known for its time signature changes, which keeps the song fresh throughout. The only problem I see is that prog songs are usually very long. I don't expect to see 2112 or Octavarium in the game any time soon.

So yeah, I was wondering what thoughts you had about prog, since I think its often gets overlooked.
    People keep requesting it. We totally get that there's a technical challenge and much to be learned from the genre. We certainly aren't ruling it out; we're constantly evaluating new material.

I would say we are neither for or against any genre, prog included. It's all just music that might work in our game.

Originally Posted by biggribbly Go to original post
    Hey Dan!
    Very helpful post & much appreciated.

Given that the second biggest reason a song is not released is that the audio master is not available, would it be possible to let us know which songs we're never going to see? That way we won't waste our or your time by requesting something that's never going to show

Or are there alternate means to get a track developed if the master has been lost/destroyed?
    Those are not strictly ranked/weighted as reasons. They're just the four most common reasons.

When a master is not available, sometimes the band re-records the song. We'd use that instead if possible. But I can't give you a list, as those things are in flux. We've got at least one artist that has said "as soon as we get time, we'll get into the studio and do new versions of those songs you've asked for." So we're waiting -- but for a different reason that most of the time!

Originally Posted by biggribbly Go to original post
    Hey Dan!
    Very helpful post & much appreciated.

Given that the second biggest reason a song is not released is that the audio master is not available, would it be possible to let us know which songs we're never going to see? That way we won't waste our or your time by requesting something that's never going to show

Or are there alternate means to get a track developed if the master has been lost/destroyed?
    Those are not strictly ranked/weighted as reasons. They're just the four most common reasons.

When a master is not available, sometimes the band re-records the song. We'd use that instead if possible. But I can't give you a list, as those things are in flux. We've got at least one artist that has said "as soon as we get time, we'll get into the studio and do new versions of those songs you've asked for." So we're waiting -- but for a different reason that most of the time!

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    No, but it's possible that no artist-approved "radio edit" exists. In that case we would have to ask for permission to alter it if we really wanted to use it.
    So "radio edit" versions are the goal? Good to know...

One a side-note; a radio version of Criminally Insane would be almost as funny as the TV version of Pulp Fiction..."my friend."
    "Quarters for the criminally insane
    locked away and kept restrained
    disapprobation but what have I got
    I have yet only just begun to take your...fooling...lives!"

Originally Posted by umbralez Go to original post
    Nice read,however there is a couple things here:1-Say I want the album version of some song rather than the single which is very different ,if I dont mention that on the app I might end up getting the single I dont like instead of the track I do want,that is why some specificity could be helpful me thinks and 2-Why cant we have some numbers about DLC sales at all?I mean,the record industry does SCREAM what record went gold and when or double platinum or whatever,why would that be an issue with RS?It d be interesting I believe.Anyway thanks for the work,your surf pack immediately got you guys my money,keep it up!
    1) That specificity screws up the request app in a big way, and what's more...we're going to get whatever version of the song we can, starting with the most famous edition first. So if you like a live version or an album version but the studio version is what everybody knows from the radio, we're likely to go with the one everybody knows even if you subjectively feel the solos are more interesting on the live version. (Please note our version of My Sharona is the full album version, with the epic solo. It swings both ways.) We take song suggestions, but there should not be an expectation of custom-built content.

2) Because software companies do not share sales data. Seriously, this is not unique to Ubisoft or Rocksmith; you only hear about sales data when you have those big milestones to brag about. Not trumpeting every success and failure of content is business as usual. I'm sure it would be interesting but it's simply not something the company wants to offer -- and they really do not have to.

In both of these cases you're simply asking for more info or influence than is feasible. I'd like to know the secret formula to Coca-Cola, but they won't tell me, so I have to just be happy drinking a can of my favorite fizzy water.

Originally Posted by umbralez Go to original post
    Nice read,however there is a couple things here:1-Say I want the album version of some song rather than the single which is very different ,if I dont mention that on the app I might end up getting the single I dont like instead of the track I do want,that is why some specificity could be helpful me thinks and 2-Why cant we have some numbers about DLC sales at all?I mean,the record industry does SCREAM what record went gold and when or double platinum or whatever,why would that be an issue with RS?It d be interesting I believe.Anyway thanks for the work,your surf pack immediately got you guys my money,keep it up!
    1) That specificity screws up the request app in a big way, and what's more...we're going to get whatever version of the song we can, starting with the most famous edition first. So if you like a live version or an album version but the studio version is what everybody knows from the radio, we're likely to go with the one everybody knows even if you subjectively feel the solos are more interesting on the live version. (Please note our version of My Sharona is the full album version, with the epic solo. It swings both ways.) We take song suggestions, but there should not be an expectation of custom-built content.

2) Because software companies do not share sales data. Seriously, this is not unique to Ubisoft or Rocksmith; you only hear about sales data when you have those big milestones to brag about. Not trumpeting every success and failure of content is business as usual. I'm sure it would be interesting but it's simply not something the company wants to offer -- and they really do not have to.

In both of these cases you're simply asking for more info or influence than is feasible. I'd like to know the secret formula to Coca-Cola, but they won't tell me, so I have to just be happy drinking a can of my favorite fizzy water.

Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    That was because Guitar Hero and Rock Band need Audio Stems (separated audio tracks) Rocksmith doesn't need that which allows Ubisoft to get far more interesting content without this restriction.
    I would guess this was also an issue for Tommy Tutone, as there's a re-record of 867-5309 on Rock Band but the original recording in Rocksmith. We only ask for the stereo masters.

I know, Tommy Tutone, not the most obvious example, but I'm a child of the 80s so I notice these things.

Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    That was because Guitar Hero and Rock Band need Audio Stems (separated audio tracks) Rocksmith doesn't need that which allows Ubisoft to get far more interesting content without this restriction.
    I would guess this was also an issue for Tommy Tutone, as there's a re-record of 867-5309 on Rock Band but the original recording in Rocksmith. We only ask for the stereo masters.

I know, Tommy Tutone, not the most obvious example, but I'm a child of the 80s so I notice these things.

I know others have said this already but I REALLY appreciate all of the feedback and info that you are sharing Dan. I fully understand that we may be asking, out of curiosity, for more than RS is willing to share and I'm OK with being told "no" too.

As far as I'm concerned, *this* is the best thread on the RS forums.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Master_Cylinder Go to original post
    Well, getting songs into the game is the goal; using radio edits can be a means to achieve that goal. Dirty words don't strictly preclude a song from being in the game, but radio edits might make that process easier if it's a factor.

One a side-note; a radio version of Criminally Insane would be almost as funny as the TV version of Pulp Fiction..."my friend."

If the song is going to be inherently destroyed by editing it, well, that'd have to be a different discussion. Again, no hard and fast rule -- it's case by case.

Well, getting songs into the game is the goal; using radio edits can be a means to achieve that goal. Dirty words don't strictly preclude a song from being in the game, but radio edits might make that process easier if it's a factor.

If the song is going to be inherently destroyed by editing it, well, that'd have to be a different discussion. Again, no hard and fast rule -- it's case by case.

I know others have said this already but I REALLY appreciate all of the feedback and info that you are sharing Dan. I fully understand that we may be asking, out of curiosity, for more than RS is willing to share and I'm OK with being told "no" too.

Thanks again!
    Believe me when I say this is my pleasure. The studio likes being as transparent as possible, and I'm happy to be their messenger.

Thanks again!
    Believe me when I say this is my pleasure. The studio likes being as transparent as possible, and I'm happy to be their messenger.

Yeah, I get it; Hell's Bells would probably be OK where Criminally Insane probably wouldn't. Totally makes sense...