Which Game Design feat can catch Ubisoft attention?

So this is a question that I would kindly ask the mods/managers/comdevs to gather information about (if they can, I will totally understand if they can't ), but also would like to hear the community's ideas. Plus might help somebody else in this kind of situation.

Here's the thing. I would very much like to work at Ubisoft (not necessarily on AC, but AC would be awesome since this is Ubi's franchise that I've played analysed design-wise the most, the second-most being Prince of Persia). However, I imagine my resume so far is not impressive enough to be valued above lots of other applications Ubi receives. Student projects + Origin QA at EA + Facebook games is not enough to hire smb from a country which doesn't have a Ubi office in it (and then deal with the process of having that person get to your country), and I understand that. I also understand that in time my CV will get much more impressive (and I definitely plan it to be so, trying to learn as much as I can in this never-ending process of enhancing skills), but I want to see if there are other ways instead of just 'try' (and distracting Ubisoft LinkedIn connections who don't know me personally very well). Though doesn't mean that I'm going to stop trying I'm really curious about the experience of working in big teams, and if there's a company where I would like to learn that experience - it's Ubisoft.

A lot of times in the industry people are hired for things that they do for the company's game. Bruce Nesmith from Bethesda once told me that in their company if you really want to work in Bethesda and build something really cool in one of the TES construction editors, you're as good as hired essentially. I know people who got to BioWare because of their prowess in NWN or Dragon Age editors. Well I really want to get to Ubisoft, but I'm not sure what I can do design-wise to catch the attention. I'd mod the hell out of AC games if I could, trying to show my design process, principles, ideas, but I can't. Similar situation with PoP, for example, I can't create some cool elaborate platforming designs or smth like that.

So here's a question. What design-related task can I do that can essentially say, 'I really want to work at Ubisoft and this is why I can be awesome and of value to the company'?

Thank you for your attention

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    There are some suggestions in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ead-This-First
    There's also some information in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...dea-to-ubisoft about the importance of having a full design plan rather than just an idea (you'll have to skim through a lot of waffle to find it though). In particular, the comments by UbiRazz may be important to you, he was a senior community manager and working closely with a couple of the design and dev teams at the time.

Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    There are some suggestions in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ead-This-First
    There's also some information in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...dea-to-ubisoft about the importance of having a full design plan rather than just an idea (you'll have to skim through a lot of waffle to find it though). In particular, the comments by UbiRazz may be important to you, he was a senior community manager and working closely with a couple of the design and dev teams at the time.
    Thanks for the reply

Those threads seem to deal more with the 'I want to pitch Ubisoft an idea' type of deals, which is not my goal, I couldn't find an answer for my question there. (or maybe I've missed something?)

I've made games, as a student and professionally. I've made maps and mods for a bunch of games. I can script and programm, I can quickly learn devtools, and already have experience in a lot of them (ranging from UDK to RED engine tool). This is all well and good, but I'm not the only person like that. There are a lot of insanely talented people out there. So I want to do something, a project, that when applying can show Ubisoft, 'yes, I'm a person that really wants to work and gain experience at your company' and 'this is why I'm useful and of value'. As in my example, Bethesda values applicants who send awesome TES mods more than applicants with a general non-specific application, because it shows that they're really interested, and that they pretty much already know half of the toolset Bethesda uses (which means a shorter learning period), and they clearly see how the talents of the applicant can be applied to their project. What would be an equivalent of sorts when it comes to Ubisoft? Their games for the most part aren't really moddable (graphically being an exception), so that really isn't an option.

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Damn

Originally Posted by pirate1802 Go to original post
    Damn
    What?

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    Check PM

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Beyond the suggestion that you develop as broad a portfolio of "indie" projects as possible and get what relevant qualifications are available from education facilities in your region, I can't be much more help. While I've had a lot of contact through the forums over the last 12 years, I'm not an Ubisoft employee and don't live anywhere near an Ubisoft office myself.

You may have to broaden your approach and look for any gaming industry experience to begin with, then perhaps later you can use that experience to improve your chances to get in to an Ubisoft studio.

Also, just remembered another opportunity - one of the recent interviews about The Division mentioned an opportunity for a small number of community members to visit the studio and contribute. It looked more like a workshopping session rather than full on development, but if you can find it and get in on it you may be able to impress. I can't find the link to where I saw it at the moment, but will post back if I find it later.

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    What?
    Just being jealous of you.

Originally Posted by shobhit7777777 Go to original post
    Check PM
    Thank you, friend! Replied

Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    Beyond the suggestion that you develop as broad a portfolio of "indie" projects as possible and get what relevant qualifications are available from education facilities in your region, I can't be much more help. While I've had a lot of contact through the forums over the last 12 years, I'm not an Ubisoft employee and don't live anywhere near an Ubisoft office myself.

You may have to broaden your approach and look for any gaming industry experience to begin with, then perhaps later you can use that experience to improve your chances to get in to an Ubisoft studio.

Also, just remembered another opportunity - one of the recent interviews about The Division mentioned an opportunity for a small number of community members to visit the studio and contribute. It looked more like a workshopping session rather than full on development, but if you can find it and get in on it you may be able to impress. I can't find the link to where I saw it at the moment, but will post back if I find it later.
    Ok, thank you very much for your input!

Originally Posted by pirate1802 Go to original post
    Just being jealous of you.
    Well, there's nothing to be jealous of... yet

Dome500's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

I mean, I'm not even close to near enough to apply to any video game company since I am only starting to study atm, but it is always interesting to know what one can do to get the attention of those companies. Sadly enough it is pretty hard these days to get in touch with such companies, to really show what you can pull off. There are so many walls that restrict the direct access to methods of application and presentation that it is almost frustrating, especially since a lot of companies these days take mostly experienced people rather than new ones.

The only thing left to do for newcomers is to work low-budget or even for free on low-level projects or indie-titles to earn the experience, and even then it is not clear how you can lift yourself from the masses. A HARD way to get into the industry these days...