1. #1

    Hocksmit error code 10 driver problem

    Hey guys,

    I'm sure this thread is somewhere on this massive forum but i wasn't unable to find any that applied to my situation so I'm attempting it here.

    So i just built a new PC and it now has windows 8.1 from my old windows 7. I know my cable works since i used it on my xbox360 but when trying to get it to work for my rocksmith 2014 through steam. I get the consistent problem of error code 10 : device cannot start. and that the I/O request was canceled.

    Something interesting i noticed however was that when i changed UBS ports, two things happened, first one i would get the Hocksmit driver and then the other one i would get the UBS audio driver. Both however give the same end result in not working. I have done everything form manually installing the driver to letting windows install as well as going through directX and uninstalling/reinstalling rocksmith.

    Any other feedback on how i can resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

    Share this post

  2. #2
    rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Norman, OK
    I've gotten the same "hocksmith" name for the cable in devices. Not very often, but I do get it on occasion.

    I just kept unplugging, uninstalling the device, and/or rebooting my PC until the problem corrected itself.

    Sometimes I try other USB ports and even rearranging all my USB devices to other ports.

    I dunno what corrects it in the end, but eventually I get it fixed.

    Probably just a stupid timing thing with how Windows is starting the device drivers.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    bcolwell2012's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Munster, IN
    For what it is worth, I have this same problem with an older (original RS cable) when I plug it into the USB 3.0 ports on my PC. Seems to work fine in 2.0 ports. The cable I got when I bought RS 2014 works fine in all my ports on the same PC.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Originally Posted by bcolwell2012 Go to original post
    For what it is worth, I have this same problem with an older (original RS cable) when I plug it into the USB 3.0 ports on my PC. Seems to work fine in 2.0 ports. The cable I got when I bought RS 2014 works fine in all my ports on the same PC.
    Other people have posted this same thing, which makes you lead to believe that the RockSmith2014 cable is a bit better.

    As for "Hocksmit" try a different USB2.0 port. I have like 8 USB 2.0's and only 1 pair register the cable properly.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    When I had Rocksmith installed, my cable always came up as "Hocksmith". Upgraded to Rocksmith 2014 and it stayed the same. When I did an OS reinstall and put on only Rocksmith 2014, the cable now displays properly as "Rocksmith". I know it doesn't solve your problem, but I think the Hocksmith/Rocksmith name comes from if you have both versions installed or not.
    Share this post

  6. #6

    hocksmit error code 10 fix

    My OG (short for OriGinal) rocksmith cable (not a 2014 cable) worked fine on my old windows 7 machine, but when I bought a new rig which runs windows 8 I started getting this 'hocksmit error code 10' PITA issue. So I surfed the many forums on the problem, and tried everything in various orders including:

    installing and/or uninstalling asio4all
    using usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports
    plugging and unlpugging repeatedly
    resetting the computer
    installing/uninstalling drivers (there is no rocksmith specific driver you can download, btw)
    turning the volume all the way up in recording devices (couldn't actually do this one since the microphone wouldn't even appear under recording devices, but I turned up the other which obviously didn't work - hey, I was desperate to play ;-)
    Disabling xhci in bios (which doesn't actually exist as an option in my version of 8.1 at least - I could only enable or disable specific usb ports)
    ordering a new rocksmith 2014 cable (it hasn't arrived yet so idk if it will work or not)

    I also called Ubisoft customer service and walked through various steps with them.

    I tried all of these things in multiple orders over the span of a couple of weeks and nothing worked. I think a lot of the fixes people have posted may have just been the last thing they did before it randomly decided to not be broken once so people prematurely posted these solutions as fixes, or maybe they had different setups or what have you.

    However, one fix that kept coming up for the OG rocksmith cable was this idea that there wasn't enough power to the USB port. That sounded obviously wrong for my case because I just bought a new high end PC and the ports get something like 500(whatever the power measurement is) to each port, and the cable requires far less than that. maybe 100 or something.

    Anyway, here's what actually worked despite my previous misgivings about getting enough power to the ports:

    I went out and bought a powered USB 2.0 hub for about 20 bucks at best buy. Now it works. I've tested it multiple times using different ports (only usb 2.0 though - want to save the 3.0s for when I need speed), restarted my machine, and all of that actual testing that one should do before posting a fix.

    I'm running windows 8.1, and using a cable from the original rocksmith, not a 2014 cable.
    Share this post