Background noise caused by cable?

After not playing for a while I plugged my guitar in and was struggling to tune it, with the tuner saying +999 or -999 if the string wasn't strummed hard enough. After quitting to the menu I noticed the amps in the background playing constant noise even though I wasn't touching the guitar. I've tried restarting the game, disconnecting the cables etc but the problem persists.

I found out the problem seems to be with the long part of the wire, as if I leave the USB end in the Xbox and disconnect the rest of the cable the sound stops, regardless of whether its plugged into the guitar or not. Additionally if I touch the jack right beside the end of the cable I can silence the noise, but as soon as I let go it comes back.

Any ideas? Its got me stumped!

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Re-calibrate yiour guitar in RS, and it should get better.

Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana Go to original post
    Re-calibrate yiour guitar in RS, and it should get better.
    I don't think that will help because the noise is present without the guitar even being attached.

Then just fiddle with the jack until it stops making the noise.

Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana Go to original post
    Then just fiddle with the jack until it stops making the noise.
    I've also tried that with no success

You could have EMI from other electronics in the area, or something. It's hard to tell. You could also try moving the cable around. Otherwise, this is one of those things that's pretty much trial-and-error to resolve.

Sounds like a grounding/earthing problem to me. You could try pulling the cable apart, checking there is no fluff etc between the sections then re-assembling it. Also trying a different mains outlet might help and is quick to test.

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Do you have your Kinect plugged in?