🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    oh yea I took off that sig because I was trying to convince someone I was deaf

*whistles*

Markaccus's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't see a problem with returning to r2/rt +X for free running. Personally, while i am sprinting and climbing over things, the last thing i am thinking about is moving the camera angle. I tend to look around before/after climbing. In reality (i know it's a game) if you were sprinting to/from something, you would not be looking around, it would unbalance you and slow you down. you can always take your finger of X and have a quick look about while still running (lets face it you would only do that in a reasonably open area, or you would bump into stuff) then sprint again.

DinoSteve1's Avatar Senior Member
    agreed it takes a quarter of a second to move your thumb from x to R3.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    they actually don't really need to do that.

Parkour sucks when you can't move the camera around freely. So, no, don't establish a RT/R2 = run and RT/R2 + X/A = sprint thing again, just make it so that you only fully sprint and climb up things when fully holding down the trigger.
    This would be a problem for PC controls, since there's currently no difference between jogging and sprinting. In the older games there was.

raytrek79's Avatar Member
    I don't have any real grudges against the running, it is a different engine or whatever, they invented that more realistic gameplay about that time and wanted to exploit it, I think the novelty may have worn off by now so they don't have to try and be fancy. My disappointment with 3 was the sever lack of climbing challenges, it seems the whole tree hopping thing replaced any of the cool acrobatic verticals you get in the Ezio saga. Black Flag moved back towards satisfactory in that department as I found a number of solid climbs to impress me, but I'd still like more.

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    AC4 and AC3 had the same vertical climbing animations pretty much, and they were all more acrobatic than any of the vertical moves in the past games.

So I have no idea what you're talking about there.

With the additions of vaulting and sliding in AC3 and AC4, they actually made horizontal parkour less automatic, as you had to press O/B or X/A down to properly pull off those moves, so I don't understand why they don't just implement a similar system for the vertical long jumps.

However, I do agree that due to the nature of the parkour system, it is a lot easier to accidentally climb things when you don't want to...

raytrek79's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    AC4 and AC3 had the same vertical climbing animations pretty much, and they were all more acrobatic than any of the vertical moves in the past games.

So I have no idea what you're talking about there.
    Yes, I see your point, but what I mean is climbing a viewpoint tower in 3 was pretty much just strait up and down, where for Ezio you had to negotiate a way up, and it could take you right around the entire structure, jumping to beams and swinging around corners. Finding little crevices to grab onto, leaping sideways and all that was in 4 a bit more, but 3 had an annoying lack of it. But then maybe some people hate having to find a way up like that and just prefer to go strait up(?)

m4r-k7's Avatar Senior Member
    I prefered the combat system from 1 and 2 where it was about counter attacks. I really liked the AC 1 combat system where you could pull of light and heavy attacks. It was simple, but it made you feel vulnerable and made you use stealth more. Anway in regards with the free running, apparantely AC Unity will have wall running, which tells me they are re-vamping the free running system, especially as Paris is a very urban environment.

Wall running? Like Prince of Persia? :O

GunnerGalactico's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually, I never had any problems with the parkour or climbing system in any of the AC games. The only gripe I had with AC3/4 was that the climbing system was too effortless and easy... I missed the difficulty and challenge I got from AC1 to ACR.