Bastiaen's Avatar Senior Member
    Nit picking...
    I like the free running in all of the games. No matter what, it comes down to knowing how your environment works, and how your Assassin's body moves through it, and planning ahead. Herein lies the actual skill required in AC games.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Bastiaen Go to original post
    Nit picking...
    I like the free running in all of the games. No matter what, it comes down to knowing how your environment works, and how your Assassin's body moves through it, and planning ahead. Herein lies the actual skill required in AC games.
    Skill is being in complete control over your movements. Currently replaying AC1 and I'm once again realizing just how much fun the parkour used to be with the puppeteering system. I can change directions on a whim without the character doing whatever he pleases. If I slip and start to fall off, I can react quickly and the assassin will grab a hold exactly where I want him to. If I'm detected, it's usually my own fault for poking my head too far up when I should have known that's what the character would do.

In AC3 and (to a lesser extent) AC4, the character's movements are often wholly unpredictable. I steer Connor to the left and he veers to the right and grabs hold of a chimney. "Wait, why did you go in a complete different direction? I told you to go left. And I didn't tell you to grab anything, stop doing that. Fine, you can hang on to the side of the chimney, just get down from there before-- wait what NO DON'T CLIMB UP YOU IDIOT, the guard can see you--!! Annnnd now we're in a chase again. Of course."

DinoSteve1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    Skill is being in complete control over your movements. Currently replaying AC1 and I'm once again realizing just how much fun the parkour used to be with the puppeteering system. I can change directions on a whim without the character doing whatever he pleases. If I slip and start to fall off, I can react quickly and the assassin will grab a hold exactly where I want him to. If I'm detected, it's usually my own fault for poking my head too far up when I should have known that's what the character would do.

In AC3 and (to a lesser extent) AC4, the character's movements are often wholly unpredictable. I steer Connor to the left and he veers to the right and grabs hold of a chimney. "Wait, why did you go in a complete different direction? I told you to go left. And I didn't tell you to grab anything, stop doing that. Fine, you can hang on to the side of the chimney, just get down from there before-- wait what NO DON'T CLIMB UP YOU IDIOT, the guard can see you--!! Annnnd now we're in a chase again. Of course."
    This is prevalent in AC3 more than any other game in the franchise, AC4 still had it to a lesser extent.

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Never been a real problem for me, but maybe I'm just more used to it?

LieutenantRex's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post

As much as I criticize AC3 and AC4, I've -never- had such a problem with the freerunning.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    I see what sixkeys means completely.

AC3 and AC4 had stickier feels to them. Like I could jump somewhere and just hope I land perfectly (which i usually do) wheras in other games I have to precicely aim my jumps.

That was the one thing i disliked about AC:3 when I first played it. It felt like Automatic's Creed. Like all I was doing was tilting the control stick while the character did awesome free-running. i want it to be more than that. I want to feel like I accomplished something in my free-running dang it.

Mapping the free running/ climbing to one button combo does not work. That's why it feels automatic, cuz you're really just holding R2/RT and picking a direction. I'll say it a million times over, the old formula is better. Hold R2/RT to sprint, while R2/RT + X/A = climb. It eliminates the problems of climbing things you didn't want to COMPLETELY, chasing missions will actually be more about chasing your target rather than "oh ish why'd you climb that pole? drop! drop! drop!"
    I understand that people complain about not being able to control the camera with this system, so my proposition would be to allow us to change the button layout ourselves. Such as in options menu, have a "current controls" (free running same as AC3/4) and "classic controls" (ala AC1-Revelations) Judging from the early Unity screens it looks like they've revamped it slightly, which hopefully works for the better, but we'll just have to wait and see next week.. I hope you understand what i'm getting at my brain is fired so sorry for any confusion

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by TheBearJew32 Go to original post
    Mapping the free running/ climbing to one button combo does not work. That's why it feels automatic, cuz you're really just holding R2/RT and picking a direction. I'll say it a million times over, the old formula is better. Hold R2/RT to sprint, while R2/RT + X/A = climb. It eliminates the problems of climbing things you didn't want to COMPLETELY, chasing missions will actually be more about chasing your target rather than "oh ish why'd you climb that pole? drop! drop! drop!"
    I understand that people complain about not being able to control the camera with this system, so my proposition would be to allow us to change the button layout ourselves. Such as in options menu, have a "current controls" (free running same as AC3/4) and "classic controls" (ala AC1-Revelations) Judging from the early Unity screens it looks like they've revamped it slightly, which hopefully works for the better, but we'll just have to wait and see next week.. I hope you understand what i'm getting at my brain is fired so sorry for any confusion
    they actually don't really need to do that.

Parkour sucks when you can't move the camera around freely. So, no, don't establish a RT/R2 = run and RT/R2 + X/A = sprint thing again, just make it so that you only fully sprint and climb up things when fully holding down the trigger.

Yep AC3/4 parkour does need a bit of practice. But even then it'll disobey you on occasion.... especially when you're not expecting it. Another one is when I want to jump down, but instead they'll jump up, get exposed and thereby rouse the guards' attention.

I miss being able to easily switch between running and sprinting (but I did hear it's easier on ps4/xb1 with the new sticks?). I also like pressing the shove button myself. Sometimes I prefer the stable camera in the previous games. Also miss the old missions/tombs/etc where we had to control the character precisely, instead of a magical guardian angel guiding (and pulling) us 95% of the time. I kinda miss executing the wall run jump (like the one needed in Visitazione) and also the climb leap. A minor gripe is not being able to back-eject from wells in AC3/4 but they designed the wells like that.

But I do like it when we only need to hold one button to sprint (gives my thumb a little break). And only needing to only use the stick to climb up a building is growing on me (my index finger is thankful too).

Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    they actually don't really need to do that.

Parkour sucks when you can't move the camera around freely. So, no, don't establish a RT/R2 = run and RT/R2 + X/A = sprint thing again, just make it so that you only fully sprint and climb up things when fully holding down the trigger.
    I could live with that. Having the option to change your controls in the options stills seems like a decent idea to me though, it's there if you need it. Dude you took off your twenty one pilots sig, i remember hearing migraine for the first time not too long ago and thinking i've seen the lyrics somewhere but i couldn't remember where. good song, solid band