Originally Posted by Todesengel199 Go to original post
    After digging through countless webpages I finally found a workaround for this. The problem is that setting the Shadow/Shader settings to medium or low simply crashes the game with a HD6990. The bad thing is, those are the default settings as well.

Watch Dogs does save your settings to a file. That file is located in C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Watch_Dogs\<cryptic folder>\GamerProfile.xml
    By default the <CustomQuality> -Tag is empty, because the quality is set to a predefined default-setting ... good thing though that I had my Laptop where I could run this and copy it back to my PC.

Here are my settings which allowed me to at least start the game and configure my settings ingame. You do need to overwrite your settings with mine.

<RenderProfile PCCustomTextureQuality="medium" PCCustomAntialiasingQuality="fxaa" RAWCPUScore="1789.86" AlphaToCoverage="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" Quality="_runtime" QualityEditor="pc_editor" WindowMode="2" WindowPosX="-1" WindowPosY="-1" Force16_9="1" ForceWidescreen="0" WidescreenFOV="0" OutputScalingFactor="1" AspectRatio="0" VSync="1" MaxPrerenderedFrames="3" RefreshRate="60" MaxDriverBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" IsCalibrationSetup="1" ClustersZPassMaxLOD="1" NewBrightness="1" Contrast_v3="1" NewGammaRamp="1" GammaRampR="1" GammaRampG="1" GammaRampB="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
    <CustomQuality>
    <quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720" EnvironmentQuality="medium" AntiPortalQuality="pc" PostFxQuality="medium" TextureQuality="pc" TextureResolutionQuality="medium" WaterQuality="medium" ParaboloidReflectionQuality="medium" DepthPassQuality="pc" VegetationQuality="medium" TerrainQuality="medium" GeometryQuality="medium" LodDitheringQuality="pc" ShadowQuality="high" ShadingQuality="high" RoadQuality="pc" EditorQuality="pc" ParticlesQuality="medium" DeferredFxQuality="console" HDR="1" SuperSampling="0" HighPrecisionNormal="1" RenderSplashes="1" RenderRain="0" MotionBlurQuality="off" SSAOQuality="off" DepthOfFieldQuality="off" AntiAliasingQuality="fxaa" id="_runtime" />
    </CustomQuality>
    This is just yours man, I just attempted these settings on mine, didn't work, crashed right past the Ubisoft logo.

After digging through countless webpages I finally found a workaround for this. The problem is that setting the Shadow/Shader settings to medium or low simply crashes the game with a HD6990. The bad thing is, those are the default settings as well.

Watch Dogs does save your settings to a file. That file is located in C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Watch_Dogs\<cryptic folder>\GamerProfile.xml
    By default the <CustomQuality> -Tag is empty, because the quality is set to a predefined default-setting ... good thing though that I had my Laptop where I could run this and copy it back to my PC.

Here are my settings which allowed me to at least start the game and configure my settings ingame. You do need to overwrite your settings with mine.

<RenderProfile PCCustomTextureQuality="medium" PCCustomAntialiasingQuality="fxaa" RAWCPUScore="1789.86" AlphaToCoverage="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" Quality="_runtime" QualityEditor="pc_editor" WindowMode="2" WindowPosX="-1" WindowPosY="-1" Force16_9="1" ForceWidescreen="0" WidescreenFOV="0" OutputScalingFactor="1" AspectRatio="0" VSync="1" MaxPrerenderedFrames="3" RefreshRate="60" MaxDriverBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" IsCalibrationSetup="1" ClustersZPassMaxLOD="1" NewBrightness="1" Contrast_v3="1" NewGammaRamp="1" GammaRampR="1" GammaRampG="1" GammaRampB="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
    <CustomQuality>
    <quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720" EnvironmentQuality="medium" AntiPortalQuality="pc" PostFxQuality="medium" TextureQuality="pc" TextureResolutionQuality="medium" WaterQuality="medium" ParaboloidReflectionQuality="medium" DepthPassQuality="pc" VegetationQuality="medium" TerrainQuality="medium" GeometryQuality="medium" LodDitheringQuality="pc" ShadowQuality="high" ShadingQuality="high" RoadQuality="pc" EditorQuality="pc" ParticlesQuality="medium" DeferredFxQuality="console" HDR="1" SuperSampling="0" HighPrecisionNormal="1" RenderSplashes="1" RenderRain="0" MotionBlurQuality="off" SSAOQuality="off" DepthOfFieldQuality="off" AntiAliasingQuality="fxaa" id="_runtime" />
    </CustomQuality>
    This made my game go "full screen" and not in "windowed" mode but still crashed at the same place.

Thanks for the assist though.

Thank you so much, after two days I can finally play this game.

Works

<CustomQuality>
    </CustomQuality>

Thank you my good man, had to register just to write and confirm that this does indeed get me past the logo-loading screen. I have a Radeon HD6990. Have'nt tried to start the game yet, will get back when I tried that.

After copy and pasting it very carefully, it worked. I'll paste my entire gamer profile just so people can copy paste the entire thing over.

It should work for most 6990 users.

Spoiler:  Show
    <GamerProfile bFirstUplayBoot="1" bFirstMPBoot="1" bNeverShowUplayFlow="0" bAskAgainLaterToS="0">
    <SoundProfile MusicEnabled="1" GlobalVolume="100" MusicVolume="100" LicencedMusicVolume="100" SFXVolume="100" VoiceVolume="100" AutoplayMusicInVehicles="1" VoiceChatEnabled="1" VoiceChatPlaybackVolume="50" />
    <RenderProfile PCCustomTextureQuality="medium" PCCustomAntialiasingQuality="fxaa" RAWCPUScore="1789.86" AlphaToCoverage="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" Quality="_runtime" QualityEditor="pc_editor" WindowMode="0" WindowPosX="-1" WindowPosY="-1" Force16_9="1" ForceWidescreen="0" WidescreenFOV="0" OutputScalingFactor="1" AspectRatio="0" VSync="1" MaxPrerenderedFrames="3" RefreshRate="60" MaxDriverBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" IsCalibrationSetup="1" ClustersZPassMaxLOD="1" NewBrightness="1" Contrast_v3="1" NewGammaRamp="1" GammaRampR="1" GammaRampG="1" GammaRampB="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
    <CustomQuality>
    </CustomQuality>
    </RenderProfile>
    <NetworkProfile EnableNatTraversal="1" VoiceChatEnabled="1" OnlineEnginePort="9000" OnlineServicePort="9001" LanHostBroadcastPort="9004" LanClientBroadcastPort="9005" ScanFreePorts="1" ScanPortRange="1000" ScanPortStart="9000" />
    <GameProfile Sensitivity="0.9" MouseLookSensitivityX="50" MouseLookSensitivityY="50" MouseInvertX="0" MouseInvertY="0" UseMouseSmooth="0" Smoothness="1" Sprint_UseToggle="0" Stroll_UseToggle="0" Gamepad_vibration="1" UseCompassMiniMap="1" UseRoadSignHilight="1" UseSubtitles="1" UseReticle="1" UseWaypoint="1" UseHintsAndTutorial="1" UsePdaNotification="1" UseMinimap="1" UseDynamicMission="1" UseItemAndRewards="1" UseMissionUpdate="1" UseFelony="1" UseEquipmentAndTools="1" UseAmbx="0" DifficultyLevel="1" IEn="1" NeutralFireEnabled="0" FriendlyFireEnabled="0" selGamepadControlScheme="0" CameraSpeedCoefficient="1" CameraSensitivityCoefficient="1" CameraInvertX="0" CameraInvertY="0" selAimAssist="1" selDifficulty="1">
    <FireConfig QualitySetting="VeryHigh" />
    <AutoConsoleCommands />
    </GameProfile>
    <RealTreeProfile />
    <EngineProfile>
    <PhysicConfig QualitySetting="VeryHigh" />
    </EngineProfile>
    <ControlMapProfile>
    <Action_Hack Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$F500AE27" />
    <Action_Interact Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$EFDA7A5A" />
    <Tool_Profiler Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$62D277AF" />
    <Tool_Focus Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$B986C337" />
    <Tool_Smartphone Device="%$AF35B6ED" Control="%$32360761" />
    <Map_Open Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$E101F268" />
    <SetWaypoint Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$8CDC1683" />
    <Inventory_Open Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$73E3430C" />
    <Inventory_EquipPrimary Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$83DCEFB7" />
    <Inventory_EquipSecondary Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$1AD5BE0D" />
    <Inventory_EquipTertiary Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$6DD28E9B" />
    <Inventory_EquipSpecial Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$F3B61B38" />
    <Inventory_CycleProjectiles Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$84B12BAE" />
    <Nav_Up Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$1C630B12" />
    <Nav_Down Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$1B0ECF0B" />
    <Nav_Left Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$E8B7BE43" />
    <Nav_Right Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$98DD4ACC" />
    <Nav_Stroll Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$8781A73E" />
    <Nav_Sprint Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$ADDDA2DA" />
    <Nav_Climb Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$2972C13A" />
    <Nav_EnterCover Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$06B9DF6F" />
    <Nav_ExitCover Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$6B643B84" />
    <Combat_DrawWeapon Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$856A5AA8" />
    <Combat_Aim Device="%$AF35B6ED" Control="%$FF6C09FF" />
    <Combat_Shoot Device="%$AF35B6ED" Control="%$2B2D3620" />
    <Combat_Projectile Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$01D41B76" />
    <Combat_Takedown Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$76D32BE0" />
    <Combat_Reload Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$6C09FF9D" />
    <Vehicle_Accelerate Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$1C630B12" />
    <Vehicle_Brake Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$1B0ECF0B" />
    <Vehicle_SteerLeft Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$E8B7BE43" />
    <Vehicle_SteerRight Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$98DD4ACC" />
    <Vehicle_ChangeCam Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$06B9DF6F" />
    <Vehicle_RadioOnOff Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$71BEEFF9" />
    <Vehicle_RadioSkip Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$7808A3D2" />
    <Vehicle_Handbrake Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$2972C13A" />
    <Vehicle_LookBack Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$ADDDA2DA" />
    <Vehicle_Horn Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$8781A73E" />
    <Vehicle_HideInCar Device="%$646CA0E7" Control="%$76D32BE0" />
    </ControlMapProfile>
    <AlternateControlMapProfile>
    <Action_Hack Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Action_Interact Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Tool_Profiler Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Tool_Focus Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Tool_Smartphone Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Map_Open Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <SetWaypoint Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_Open Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_EquipPrimary Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_EquipSecondary Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_EquipTertiary Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_EquipSpecial Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Inventory_CycleProjectiles Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Up Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Down Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Left Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Right Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Stroll Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Sprint Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_Climb Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_EnterCover Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Nav_ExitCover Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_DrawWeapon Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_Aim Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_Shoot Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_Projectile Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_Takedown Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Combat_Reload Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_Accelerate Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_Brake Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_SteerLeft Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_SteerRight Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_ChangeCam Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_RadioOnOff Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_RadioSkip Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_Handbrake Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_LookBack Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_Horn Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    <Vehicle_HideInCar Device="%$FFFFFFFF" Control="%$FFFFFFFF" />
    </AlternateControlMapProfile>
    </GamerProfile>

I have 2x580s in SLI but was having the same problem and this fixed it for me.

Confirm: Fixed for 6990!

CAN CONFIRM THE ABOVE WORKS!!!!

You bloody genius!!!

Fixed it for me too

hope your happy ubisoft, we have to fix your game ourselves.

After trying out all the settings, it seems to be setting 'Shader' to low that causes this crash. Leave shader on medium/high and you can set everything else how you like.