banduan's Avatar Senior Member

Simple Starting Out Guide for Newbies

notice: 20140708 - this guide is slightly outdated and will be updated after GB, primarily because the newbie experience has been changed dramatically.
    updated: 20140530 - thanks to Revalon for additional tips.

I noticed a lot of questions from newbies on what to do next after the tutorial. The sticky thread is outdated so hoping this can help you out. Hope others can pitch in with tips too.

PHASE 1- Windswords campaign and early duels
    1. Make sure you log in every day to pass on your daily rewards till next day, and claim them all after a week. The weekly bonuses are better than claiming from each day.

2. Complete the tutorial. At the end of the tutorial, save the gold and head for the Windswords campaign.

Your goal now is to complete each campaign with all factions, which nets you packs, some of which contain wildcards, not to mention the cards from each starter you buy with gold. All the starter heroes are good.
    Do not waste your wildcards yet on getting a new hero, in fact don’t use them up at all until much later. Also, don’t buy seals yet for now if you feel like doing so. NEVER BUY GOLD.

3. Complete the Windswords campaign with your starter. You should now have enough gold for another starter, so choose one from a faction you don’t have and buy one. To see a more useful list of the starter decks than those ingame (in the shop, which have only the names), take a look here:
    http://tools.mmdocking.com/users/show/3980
    For the first new starter you buy, you might want to buy one that gives you spells you can also use in the starter deck you already have. (From Revalon- check out the useful table in his post below)

4. Use the cards in one to flesh out the other. For example, Campfire, you may have noticed, is a good card. Up the count in both your decks to 4. Broken Bridge is another good card but you only have 1 among all the starters I believe. Check out the spells and see if you can share some between those decks too- any deck with Dark Magic wants Soulreaver, for example.

5. Complete the Windswords campaign with the new starter.

6. Play some Standard Ranked Duels, switching between your decks as and when you like. Each time you level up you get a chunk of gold. If you want to speed this up, use your XP boosts. Don’t worry that you’ll run out, your early boosts are there to help you level up faster and get gold faster in the first place. You can also do some latter campaigns if you want a change of pace or don’t have the time. They net you good gold. In the game options/settings, you can activate exact matchmaking, which will match you against opponents closer to your own ranking. It might take a bit longer to find an opponent though, (from Revalon)

Don’t bother with the gold boosts. Save up your wildcards (WC). Ignore daily quests for now.

7. Once you have enough gold for a new starter, buy one from a faction you’re missing and repeat steps 4-7 until you have all starters.

PHASE II - Next campaigns, better decks, better duels
    8. Complete the Windsword campaign with your last starter, and open all the Base Set 1 packs you got.

9. Use the new cards to improve your decks, but remember to use the Standard filter (under Advanced in the deck builder filters) as the campaign packs may have given you non-standard packs. You may get lucky and get a Standard playable hero, which you can use for a brand new deck!

10. Complete the next campaigns with all factions. Some of these are hard but the AI is usually bad. You get wildcards from all the packs won in the campaigns after Windswords. Alternate with rounds of Standard Ranked Duels. Start doing those daily quests as and when you feel like it- don’t feel obliged to. Some of these require Tournament Tickets, which you’ll get from weekly login rewards or random achievements.

11. Use gold for Base Set 2 packs, keep on improving your decks. At this point, you may wish to buy seals for Base Set 2 packs. NEVER BUY GOLD. The packs bought using seals are superior as they have more wildcards.

PHASE III- Not so newbie anymore
    12. Once you have a large number of cards from Base Set 2, start rounding them out with cards from bought with WC. Check out the forums for examples of good cards- they tend to appear in more decks. Focus on the rares and missing heroes you want to use. The Base Set 2 heroes are only 7 WC which is a good deal, and rares only 5 WC. I’ll list out the cards you always ought to have later. You may consider not to going up to 4 copies of a card in case you open packs with one, but this is up to you.

You should also start checking the Infernal Pit for cards you don’t have. Always check this first after logging in. You can get some uncommons with these, or better if you’re lucky and logged in at just the right time. Always pitch enough cards to go up to 100% certainty. Never pitch cards you don’t have excess copies of (i.e. more than 4). Never pitch excess rares and epic cards unless aiming for good rares and epics. If you want to keep 4 copies of every version (different sets, premium...) or 4 in total is up to you. Just keep at least one of every set it is in, as you will need the cards for collection achievements. (from Revalon- check out his post below for a neat trick to make using the Pit easier)

Wildcards should be used to get one deck to a competitive level. Look here for a strong deck that you are close to finishing and buy the missing cards with wildcards. Don't buy single cards for different factions while you don't have one strong deck.
    If a card you want is in a starter deck (like Blackskull Shredder), save up the gold and buy the starter rather than buying the card in the Altar of Wishes. It is currently much easier to get this gold (about two level ups) than to get the wildcards. (from Revalon)

13. Once you have at least one solid deck that wins you plenty of games, and you have a good Base Set 2 collection such that it gets harder and harder to get new cards from buying the packs, start buying Standard expansion packs (at time of writing only Heart of Nightmares). Again, you may purchase seals to help skip some of the grind.

Revalon's Avatar Senior Member
    I like the guide, good job there

Edit: Note that the following was written before several changes. Some of it is no longer relevant, like the table which starter decks work together with which, as you no longer can buy them.

Spoiler:  Show
    I'd like to add some things:

1) Wildcards should be used to get one deck to a competitive level.
    Look here for a strong deck that you are close to finishing and buy the missing cards with wildcards.
    Don't buy single cards for different factions while you don't have one strong deck.
    If a card you want is in a starter deck (like Blackskull Shredder), save up the gold and buy the starter rather than buying the card in the Altar of Wishes. It is currently much easier to get this gold (about two level ups) than to get the wildcards.

2) About the Infernal Pit:
    You should only sacrifice cards you have more than 4 copies of, and only that many that you keep 4 copies of it (one copy for heroes and unique cards). If you want to keep 4 copies of every version (different sets, premium...) or 4 in total is up to you. Just keep at least one of every set it is in, as you will need the cards for collection achievements.
    You should always go for the 100% chance to get the card. Everything below that is a gamble, and just the gold is simply not worth the cards.
    This will make you use the pit only relatively late, as you should not have that many spare cards early on.

For easier use of the pit:
    To not risk accidentally sacrificing a card you still need, and to make it a bit more comfortable, use this little "trick":
    Create a new deck in the deckbuilder. Check the filter "unusable" under "advanced". Now put all the cards in the deck that you want to keep - usually one of each hero/unique card, and 4 of every other, like mentioned above.
    Cards that are in a deck are not shown in the pit, therefor cannot be sacrificed.
    Now, whenever you get a new card, go directly to the deckbuilder and put the card in this deck. When you get a pack of cards, just additionally check the "new" filter under "advanced" to only see the cards you got from the pack.

3) Exact matchmaking:
    I saw it on the forums that some new players don't know about this feature. In the options, you can activate the exact matchmaking, which will match you against opponents closer to your own ranking. It might take a bit longer to find an opponent though, but I think in the beginning it's a good idea.
    (Note to self: tell devs to make the game show this feature to new players in the beginning)

4) Starter Decks:
    To se a more useful list of the starter decks than those ingame (in the shop, which have only the names), take a look here:
    http://tools.mmdocking.com/users/show/3980
    For the first new starter you buy, you might want to buy one that gives you spells you can also use in the starter deck you already have.

In this table, you can see which Starter Decks share spell schools:
    X: they share spell schools (a deck never shares more than one school with another deck)
    O: they share no spell schools

Academy Haven Inferno Necropolis Sanctuary Stronghold
    Academy X O O X O X
    Haven O X O O X X
    Inferno O O X O O O
    Necropolis X O O X X O
    Sanctuary O X O X X X
    Stronghold X X O O X X

Feel free to edit and add this to your post if you want.

cucu99's Avatar Heed the Call!
    Nice guide here!

Awesome work! Thank you for this.

good adds Revalon, will update OP once I have the time and a less #$$ connection.

Disregard

Originally Posted by Keynomaru Go to original post
    Maybe new players should consider making an usable deck to hold all there non excess cards to avoid any potential mishaps in the pit?
    I guess you wanted to write "unusable" and mean just what I wrote in my post under 2)

For easier use of the pit:
    To not risk accidentally sacrificing a card you still need, and to make it a bit more comfortable, use this little "trick":
    Create a new deck in the deckbuilder. Check the filter "unusable" under "advanced". Now put all the cards in the deck that you want to keep - usually one of each hero/unique card, and 4 of every other, like mentioned above.
    Cards that are in a deck are not shown in the pit, therefor cannot be sacrificed.
    Now, whenever you get a new card, go directly to the deckbuilder and put the card in this deck. When you get a pack of cards, just additionally check the "new" filter under "advanced" to only see the cards you got from the pack.

Sorry I skimmed.

No problem. That happens to us all. Better two or three mention it than noone.

Updated with Revalon's tips, will update soon with T3H C0D3.

My alt has just completed all campaigns with all factions, a little less than month after starting and with not much playing time. Stockpiled 63 WC, got insanely lucky/unlucky on some packs, having pulled 6-5 epics or so with BS2 (although 2 of them were Zephiria, later opening her in a campaign reward). The fb code packs gave me a Cloudshaper and... Zephiria

Will be able to build a competitive Kat deck soon enough, once I have time to tune the deck.

btw, thanks for pinning!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►