RobX21777's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Yerbatera Go to original post
    Thanks for putting this up. Very interesting. And I agree with BassTard, a thread about the song selection process would be really interesting too.
    Yes In light of all the info we now know about the process....maybe ppl could come up with more realistic requests/suggestions

MAng0r3's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by sh1kamaru- Go to original post
    I wonder if notetrackers use similar things like that to isolate some part to be able to chart it

I wouldn't be surprise that they use this>>>>http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html

As for the time to transcribe a song it may vary depending on the skills of the notetracker but i'd say with experience between 6 to 20 hours for a complete band transcription depending on the complexity of the music of course.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    A similar post about the song selection process would be fascinating
    Already in the works, but understandably, it'll be a bit longer. Hoping to have this complete and ready to post shortly after E3.

Also, I want to make it clear -- I did not write this. This came from the notetracking team, and I'm just the messenger. Happy to bring it to you, but I get very little credit for this. I sort of just agreed with their idea and said "Yeah, I'd love to post something like that!"

This thread is now stickied.

elemenohpenc's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by MAng0r3 Go to original post
    I wouldn't be surprise that they use this>>>>http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html

As for the time to transcribe a song it may vary depending on the skills of the notetracker but i'd say with experience between 6 to 20 hours for a complete band transcription depending on the complexity of the music of course.
    interesting program.

back when i had the free time to tab stuff, my general rule of thumb was it'll take me an hour to tab out a minute of music. I would always pan left or right to get a better ear for what each guitarist is playing and use winamp (with some plugins) to slow down the music without altering the pitch. I would use the slo-mo for solos or chords that have unconventional voicings. so, for a 4 minute song, I'd estimate 6 hours for a basic rock song with light soloing. anything more complex and you can start tacking on more time.

Airtrooper719's Avatar Member
    If you guys are looking for suggesstions.... Theres a chord on the Lead part of Walk by Foo Fighters on the Chorus I believe which goes

x
    x
    x

I may be wrong but it doesnt sound anything at all right. I was thinking it is either an octave down, or the 10th fret on the B should also be muted. That double stop effect on top of the flat sounding 7th fret on the A really doesnt mix. I only noticed when I played in front of my partner and her friends, and she cringed at that chord, and it was only when I paused the song and played the chord on its own that I said wow that sounds disgusting and I had to revert to playing the rhythm track for Walk which is just a bunch of powerchords instead.

As you explain there are musicians with degrees related to music studies. I understand that for the gameplay the music theory concepts may not be suitable, but I think many would agree that it would be useful to publish in the forums information about the songs such as chord progressions, scales, techniques and other theory concepts.

Thanks in advance.

Great read. Thanks for putting this up!

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by schizoids Go to original post
    As you explain there are musicians with degrees related to music studies. I understand that for the gameplay the music theory concepts may not be suitable, but I think many would agree that it would be useful to publish in the forums information about the songs such as chord progressions, scales, techniques and other theory concepts.

Thanks in advance.
    This is one of the reasons we're doing a weekly livestream. twitch.tv/rocksmithgame

Originally Posted by schizoids Go to original post

Thanks in advance.
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    This is one of the reasons we're doing a weekly livestream. twitch.tv/rocksmithgame
    Actually I did watch the first weekly livestream and found it very interesting from a technique point of view, but from a study and comprehension point of view, other information (chord progressions, scales, sorry I hate to repeat myself) would also be useful and could be published in the Weekly Community Challenge Threads.

There have been various comments at the forum about the possibility of creating an expansion pack with music theory elements (music as scores, arcades for progressions, fretboard learning, ear training).

From a technical point of view I suspect that you have a lot of work already done. Of course I understand your QA is high and this involves quite a lot of effort.

Thanks again for your answer.

Curious why some songs have a part in it that changed from the original version to the 2014 edition? For example in surf hell there was a part in the first version that nailed it to the real song playing three notes at the same time on the 3,4,5 strings. In the 2014 version the part moved up to the first string and is single notes and doesn't hit the sound like the first version. Everything else in the song is spot on between the two versions. Noticed something similar in gold on the ceiling in the intro.