For Advanced Players

Thank you so much for giving insight here. I've been purposefully just playing sections that I knew weren't completely accurate and just letting me 'miss' those notes and sections. Here is my major pushback though here guys. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!...if you are going to cover the masters (Jimi, SRV more specifically), please don't do any guess work. Andy Aledort has pretty much nailed both of those guys recordings using your same methods. However, his transcriptions, yes with some flaws, kick you guy's butts. I feel like especially Jimi's stuff was dumbed down. I know you try to say there could be more guitars overdubbed, but I've compared your transcription to Andy's to people on the internet. And Andy's and surprisingly many great players out there transcribing songs for fun did a much better job. Not to say you did a bad job at all. Very excellent job actually in my opinion. I would just say, that PLEASE, when you are transcribing a real life guitar 'hero', please do it as best as you can to the original. I'm an advanced player and am looking to improve in nuances and there are several times you guys nail it, but so many times you tell me to hit a note, but that note was slightly bent and ended with a slide, but none of that got transcribed. Anyway, I'm super proud to recommend your game and do so all the time. I actually don't call it a game, but a tool. And that is what I use it for. To take me to higher levels that I don't get by playing in my band. AND I KNOW YOU GET THESE REQUESTS NON STOP, BUT CREAM AND ZEPPELIN!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN! AND MORE SRV AND HENDRIX! I'll finish by saying kudos to the very best guitar learning tool every created!

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    THE NOTETRACKING FAQ

Q: Why doesn't "Song X" match the official transcription? Why don't you just get the official original transcription from the band and use that?

Mostly because there really isn't such a thing as the official, original transcription. Official published transcriptions that are sanctioned by the artists (or more likely by their publishers) are generated via a process not unlike the one we use, by transcriptionists with backgrounds not unlike ours. Only in the very rarest of cases is the original guitarist actually playing from tablature written before the recording, which is then submitted for publication afterwards. Even in those cases where the original artist does weigh in, there's no guarantee that they're remembering correctly how they played a song in the studio - we frequently encounter cases where the way an artist plays a song live has evolved significantly from the way it was originally recorded. When there's a discrepancy, we try to favor the way it's done on the recording over the way it's done live, unless there's a good reason to do otherwise.

But keep letting us know! Unfortunately, due to the way the pipeline works for delivering new game data across multiple platforms, it isn't a straightforward thing to simply correct a mistake in a chart and swap it out. However, we do keep track of these mistakes when we find them, and when opportunities do arise to fix them, we do.

Q: Why do you have this fingered this way, or played on this string, or played as an open note, or not played as an open note? Wouldn't it be easier if you did it the other way?

We're going for accuracy; we're trying to teach you how to play the song the way the original artist plays it on the recording. Sometimes, these players have idiosyncratic playing styles that result in them playing something in a way that is not quite the easiest way to produce those notes. Sometimes, on lower difficulty levels, we will teach you to play a passage with a seemingly unnecessary jump up or down the fretboard because that jump will become necessary on higher levels, and it's easier to introduce that move when there still aren't too many notes coming at you.

Often, it's a creative judgment call by the notetracker. When we can know for certain how it was done, we do it that way. When we don't know or it cannot be known how it was done, we make the best, most educated, most informed guess we can make, try to get a consensus from the team about how it should be, and then move forward with it.
    So I want to to mention a song that is charted different from the way the actual artist plays it.

NoFX - Linoleum
    The first octave in Linoleum is played originally on the 11th fret on yello and orange ;-) (see it at the end of the live footage) so also on the A and G String... not on D and B - Is there another reason for this than lack of research? Maybe there are guitars with less than 13 strings? Or note recognition?

Original Live footage (Go to 2:17 to watch how Eric Melvin plays it):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kKod2qay94

Rocksmith Chart:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_x9wzBOubM

And yes I have to move around on the fretboard -but that's what the artist does, also for me octaves played on the Yello and orange strings are way easyer to play clean and without other strings ringing along.

Originally Posted by droxid85 Go to original post
    So I want to to mention a song that is charted different from the way the actual artist plays it.

NoFX - Linoleum
    The first octave in Linoleum is played originally on the 11th fret on yello and orange ;-) (see it at the end of the live footage) so also on the A and G String... not on D and B - Is there another reason for this than lack of research? Maybe there are guitars with less than 13 strings? Or note recognition?

Original Live footage (Go to 2:17 to watch how Eric Melvin plays it):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kKod2qay94

Rocksmith Chart:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_x9wzBOubM

And yes I have to move around on the fretboard -but that's what the artist does, also for me octaves played on the Yello and orange strings are way easyer to play clean and without other strings ringing along.
    Entirely possible that the way it is played live is NOT the way it was recorded. They have also had 4 different people at Lead guitar since they started so one might have played it different than another. Sometimes the same guitarist will play the same part different night to night. They might have sustained an injury for example that forces them to use altered fingering etc. Tons of reasons it might be different that have nothing to do with "lack of research"

it would be nice if there is was a toggle overlay, so that you see the most economical way vs 'other'
     1 people found this helpful

Page 5 of 5 ◄◄  First ... 345