Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    Thanks Dan, that was really informative, exactly what I was wanting an insight into.

Keep up the good work.

A similar post about the song selection process would be fascinating
    +1

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Q: Why do you have this fingered this way, or played on this string, or played as an open note, or not played as an open note? Wouldn't it be easier if you did it the other way?

We're going for accuracy; we're trying to teach you how to play the song the way the original artist plays it on the recording. Sometimes, these players have idiosyncratic playing styles that result in them playing something in a way that is not quite the easiest way to produce those notes. Sometimes, on lower difficulty levels, we will teach you to play a passage with a seemingly unnecessary jump up or down the fretboard because that jump will become necessary on higher levels, and it's easier to introduce that move when there still aren't too many notes coming at you.
    Thanks for the info Dan. I want you guys to know that I particularly appreciate the part in bold here. When I'm learning, I do try to make myself follow the hand position, rather than just getting the note with whatever finger is easiest. That would be pointless if the notes were just going to change later.

sh1kamaru-'s Avatar Senior Member
    That was very nice Dan thank you for taking the time to write that insightful post ! It’s also nice to know we can report issues in charts so they can get corrected at some point. I was very glad to see More Than A Feeling Corrected in RS2014.

I have noticed several issues, but didn’t write them down, but I’ve noticed one in Hitch a Ride just yesterday:

for the section at 3:09, the first high e on 12th fret is right, but the next on is a D note, probably played on 15th fret of the b string. Next 12th fret e is correct, but the other is a D again. I would be glad if you fixed that one

Death Mental comes to mind too, there’s bends that caused me fail the song after those super crazy blocks:

at 2:45 and 2:51 there are two bends on the B string 14th fret. These should be half-step bends, not full step bends since the bend is only matching the note played just before on b string 15th fret. The tapping part is also a bit undercharted but I’m not sure this is a bad thing considering how fast it is, I’m surprised the game can detect notes at all

I noticed other tiny things here and there but don’t remember where. All in all, I think notetrackers are doing an excellent job at charting songs, charts are very accurate for the most part, I’ve already bought scores that where just crazy dumbed down versions of some songs and felt ripped off, with RS you get great quality charts. If you think at the price of some songbooks I’d say RS is also great bang for the buck.

You mean you don't just press a button an magic happens? I can't just import all my mp3s and have them converted? But I want the "real" transcription. Lol.

Great post Dan!

ZumaRocks's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks very much, that's good stuff!

ezzywave's Avatar Member
    Wow! Being a beginner, I can't really comprehend the skills it would take to do their jobs. But it makes me wonder...

How many total work hours does it take, on average, to do the "notetrack" of one (lead, rhythm, bass) song?

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    THE NOTETRACKING FAQ

Q: Why do you have this fingered this way, or played on this string, or played as an open note, or not played as an open note? Wouldn't it be easier if you did it the other way?

With regard to rhythm transcriptions; have you ever considered throwing in basic chord progressions as an alternate track? There are several songs ("Creep" jumps to mind) where a basic chord progression would be accessible to new players and could act as a stepping stone into the arpeggio version.

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BaddDadd2010 Go to original post
    Thanks for the info Dan. I want you guys to know that I particularly appreciate the part in bold here. When I'm learning, I do try to make myself follow the hand position, rather than just getting the note with whatever finger is easiest. That would be pointless if the notes were just going to change later.
    Cool approach. I actually do the exact opposite, since I care more about learning to play than I do learning a song. So I take the suggested hand position as a guide, but if it's obviously off I use the most efficient fingering. I can always shift later, when the new notes appear.

Yerbatera's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks for putting this up. Very interesting. And I agree with BassTard, a thread about the song selection process would be really interesting too.

sh1kamaru-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton Go to original post
    You mean you don't just press a button an magic happens? I can't just import all my mp3s and have them converted? But I want the "real" transcription. Lol.

Great post Dan!
    Well, software like RiffStation attempt to do that, but it doesn’t work very well from what I experienced. Granted, I took a Dream Theater track as an example and it couldn’t really detect the time signature because it applies to the whole song, which is nonsense for progressive music But even then it also tried to detect chord and it was often off as well. That said the ability to isolate some part of the mix and use a high pass or low pass filter on it was interesting, I wonder if notetrackers use similar things like that to isolate some part to be able to chart it