JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member

Just played Assassins Creed for the first time and...

....it felt a lot different from AC3 and AC4.

For those who don't know I just got into the franchise early this year. I beat AC3 first (loved it), then AC4, and then I bought the others on steam (aside from Liberation which I'm waiting for it to be on sale). I recently got access to a decent PC and played AC:1. And boy was I surprised.

The game felt entirely different in tone, formula, and gameplay style. It felt a bit looser than the others in terms of free-running. It also felt more open and up to the player to figure things out rather than follow a green dot. Also Altair is surprisingly brutal, killing pretty much every messenger ever. (something Edward and Connor would never do IMO). Though the only thing is the gameplay was kind of repetative. (tho I'm still playing it now).

Overall I'm surprised at how different it feels. I like it. I feel like I have more freedom and have to figure more things out to myself. Had it been less repetative though, I would have liked it even more. Though I have no problem with the newer games. They just feel more restrictive and linear if that makes sense.

Do you prefer the original Assassin's Creed game style or the newer ones?

SpiritOfNevaeh's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Mayrice Go to original post

For those who don't know I just got into the franchise early this year. I beat AC3 first (loved it), then AC4, and then I bought the others on steam (aside from Liberation which I'm waiting for it to be on sale). I recently got access to a decent PC and played AC:1. And boy was I surprised.

The game felt entirely different in tone, formula, and gameplay style. It felt a bit looser than the others in terms of free-running. It also felt more open and up to the player to figure things out rather than follow a green dot. Also Altair is surprisingly brutal, killing pretty much every messenger ever. (something Edward and Connor would never do IMO). Though the only thing is the gameplay was kind of repetative. (tho I'm still playing it now).

Overall I'm surprised at how different it feels. I like it. I feel like I have more freedom and have to figure more things out to myself. Had it been less repetative though, I would have liked it even more. Though I have no problem with the newer games. They just feel more restrictive and linear if that makes sense.

Glad you finally played the first one. That one was my favorite along with AC3 and I agree it was very different from the games after it. Who knows? Maybe Unity [and Comet] will go back to those kind of roots.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    I adored it at first but the repetitiveness sucked the soul out of the experience and made it the worst game in the franchise, in my opinion. The assassination missions were great though - probably the best.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    I prefer the free-running, climbing and fighting in AC1/2/Bro/Rev than in AC3/4/Lib, specially the free-running and climbing.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by Mayrice Go to original post

I'm glad you're liking it so far, seeing as you went BACK to it, i can imagine the experience can be a little biased since AC I is the most primitive formula. definitely prefer it, though over the newer ones.

I would suggest playing it without HUD. The investigations will have an added layer of exploration and it'll feel so much more open than it already is. each bureau leader gives general locations about investigations, use those ques to find the investigation location without using the map.

RudeOnion's Avatar Member
    AC2 is my forever-favorite of the franchise, lol. While I started with AC1 (way back when it first came out), and enjoyed it enough to eagerly anticipate AC2, AC2 just blew me away. The story, the characters, the location, the Truth puzzles, the introduction of hidden areas, the platforming - everything just felt RIGHT. Honestly, if I could only pick one AC game to play for the rest of my life, it'd be AC2. Even without the mp. I've played through the whole game more times than I can remember, lol.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    AC1 is my least favorite, but tonally, it's easily the best in the franchise. We're playing as people who MURDER others because of ideological differences; there should be some weight to that, no matter how justified we think it may be. AC1 was the only game that was dark enough to 1.) accurately convey the weight of the Assassin's actions, and 2.) convince the player that the Assassins weren't necessarily the "good" guys. AC2 has been derided for whitewashing the Assassin/Templar war, and that's true enough, though I think we needed a game that showed what happens when Templar ideology goes awry. Ever since then, though, there's been an undeniable twinge of cheesiness to the story (made worse by the increasing ridiculousness of the modern-day plot). I feel like they've been shying away from the stark brutality of AC1 to make it more family-friendly or something. It's as if they've forgotten that they're making M-rated games. Since it's set in such a bloody and unromanticized era, I'm really hoping Unity will pull out all the stops and deliver a story that harkens back to dark, morally-ambiguous tone of AC1.

In terms of gameplay though, AC1 really shows its age. People will remember AC1 combat through rose-colored glasses until the end of time, but I replayed it recently and it just doesn't hold up. AC4 combat is mediocre, but it's infinitely better than AC1 and AC2's. In terms of mission structure, AC1 was brilliant in that it didn't HAVE much structure, in the assassination missions at least. Unity could really learn a lot from it in that respect. And my God... the repetition. Investigations are all right, but not good enough to make up 70% of the gameplay.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    AC1 is my least favorite, but tonally, it's easily the best in the franchise. We're playing as people who MURDER others because of ideological differences; there should be some weight to that, no matter how justified we think it may be. AC1 was the only game that was dark enough to 1.) accurately convey the weight of the Assassin's actions, and 2.) convince the player that the Assassins weren't necessarily the "good" guys. AC2 has been derided for whitewashing the Assassin/Templar war, and that's true enough, though I think we needed a game that showed what happens when Templar ideology goes awry. Ever since then, though, there's been an undeniable twinge of cheesiness to the story (made worse by the increasing ridiculousness of the modern-day plot). I feel like they've been shying away from the stark brutality of AC1 to make it more family-friendly or something. It's as if they've forgotten that they're making M-rated games. Since it's set in such a bloody and unromanticized era, I'm really hoping Unity will pull out all the stops and deliver a story that harkens back to dark, morally-ambiguous tone of AC1.

In terms of gameplay though, AC1 really shows its age. People will remember AC1 combat through rose-colored glasses until the end of time, but I replayed it recently and it just doesn't hold up. AC4 combat is mediocre, but it's infinitely better than AC1 and AC2's. In terms of mission structure, AC1 was brilliant in that it didn't HAVE much structure, in the assassination missions at least. Unity could really learn a lot from it in that respect. And my God... the repetition. Investigations are all right, but not good enough to make up 70% of the gameplay.
    I don't know, AC3's Templar's and even Ahmet from ACR weren't cheesy bad guys at all. In fact in AC3, the Templar's actions are arguably more justified than Connor' himself - and compellingly so - Connor ignited the war with the killing of Pitcairn when the Templars only wanted to ward off the possibility of war, for instance.

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    technically the Templars started the war with the Boston Massacre, which they incited.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Shahkulu101 Go to original post
    I don't know, AC3's Templar's and even Ahmet from ACR weren't cheesy bad guys at all. In fact in AC3, the Templar's actions are arguably more justified than Connor' himself - and compellingly so - Connor ignited the war with the killing of Pitcairn when the Templars only wanted to ward off the possibility of war, for instance.
    I don't really mean "cheesy" as in "mustache-twirling muahahahaha" villains, but just a general impression that we've become detached from the gritty realism of the first game. I don't know, maybe cheesy is the wrong word, but I just feel like the AC stories have been glossing over the brutality of Assassin life since AC2. Maybe the villains aren't even the problem; maybe it's the way the Assassins are portrayed. I mean, Altair and Al Mualim were pretty cold bastards. Ezio and his successors were all good-hearted lads who just happened to be cold-blooded murderers. Don't get me wrong, I liked all three of them more than Altair, but there seemed to be a definite disconnect between their job and their personality (arguably more so with Connor and Edward than with Ezio, since Ezio had a personal vendetta against the ones he killed).

Altair was pretty one-dimensional in AC1, but he at least seemed to fit the bill for an Assassin. His successors were more likeable and compelling, but didn't feel as much like Assassins. I just think there's a happy medium to be found between "cold-hearted cardboard cutout" and "traditional leading man" that would fit more seamlessly with the Assassin role. I can't help but think of Mike from Breaking Bad; he's a cold, silent, badass hitman, but he's also a compelling, likeable character. ACR Ezio was probably the best combination of "Assassin" and "likeable" we've had so far, since he was still the character I loved from AC2, but old and jaded enough to chisel off the boisterous naivete that held him back from seeming much like a proper Assassin.

I sort of feel like I'm drifting off-topic, but the tone of AC is something that's rarely discussed so I'm jumping on the opportunity.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... Last ►►