1. #1
    RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    3,447

    Why are we stuck in the 18th century?

    Assassinís Creed III
    Assassinís Creed: Liberation
    Assassinís Creed IV: Black Flag
    Assassinís Creed: Unity

    Am I missing anything?

    All those take place in the 1700s aka. the 18th century. So why are we stuck there? whatís so special about that era? I know a lot of stuff happened then but why canít there be gaps? I know Hotzio had 3 games in the same period, but are we going to follow that tradition forever? I thought they were gonna break away from giving more than one game to a character but here they are sticking with the same family and the same century and ACUís protagonist is a new person as far as we know, unless he turns out to be Connor or that the grandson of the the husband of the wife of the sister of a manís best friendís daughterís pet who lived in Connorís village.

    But the question remains, why is Ubisoft refusing to give a game in a different period of time despite the change of numerical title, despite the change of the protagonist and despite making 4 games that take place in the era? and when will we finally see something far before or after the 18th century?
    Share this post

  2. #2
    Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,980
    Well Liberation was spin-off III, so it figures. IV was III's grandfather, so self limiting. And people have been asking for the French Revolution for ages, since before a lot of the more Ancient suggestions.

    They'll go to other place eventually, don't worry.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    oliacr's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,253
    I've been saying this for a while now thanks for making a thread. Really appreciate.

    Ezio had 3 games but those showed at least 2 vastly different cities countries I mean Firenze/Rome and Constantinople and their countries/empires. 2 games would be acceptable in the 18th century but 4? Yeah I know that Liberation was not aimed at the main consoles and PC but whatever.

    1 game set before 1200. 3 games set between 1450-1515. 4 games set between 1710-1799. I don't know. I don't like guns in AC I prefer good old swords, bows, hidden blades to those muskets. In AC3 it was a good addition but it is overused now- yes I know that I don't have to use that, but when I have it I'm going to use it accidentally and Didn't they say somewhere that after Black Flag we will be going back in time or is it just my mind? After Unity I really want to see something definitely before 1600 AD or so.

    We can even go back to the Ancient times.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Markaccus's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newcastle, England
    Posts
    685
    I think the time period is a secondary issue for ubisoft. i think they seem more concerned about what type of world suits the basic gameplay of AC titles. (free running, rooftops (and since ac 3 treetops)). As a result i think they only have certain options with regard to time periods and cities that will work. I agree there must be one or two alternatives that would still provide these basic needs, but maybe they dont know enough about these times to meet their usual standard of realism (i.e. they usually partially represent true events and shoehorn the main character into them)
    Share this post

  5. #5
    oliacr's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,253
    Originally Posted by Markaccus Go to original post
    I think the time period is a secondary issue for ubisoft. i think if they seem more concerned about what type of world suits the basic gameplay of AC titles. (free running, rooftops (and since ac 3 treetops)). As a result i think they only have certain options with regard to time periods and cities that will work. I agree there must be one or two alternatives that would still provide these basic needs, but maybe they dont know enough about these times to meet their usual standard of realism (i.e. they usually partially represent true events and shoehorn the main character into them)
    Then why did they choose AC3's location, because the architecture in 18th century America wasn't that good for AC that's why they introduced frontier with the free-running(I really liked both if I may say.) They might have chosen because of the American Revolution I know just like Unity will be French Revolution but come on.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Think there are a couple of reaons:

    1) Reuse assets from one game to the next is easier when they take place in the same era.
    2) Like you said a lot of things happened in that era which is still very relevant today.
    3) The enlightenment ideals mix well with what the assassins are trying to accomplish.


    Personally I would like them to go way back after AC:U (Ancient Egypt, or Mesopotamia). If we do I hope they make a couple of games in those eras as well.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Poortugal
    Posts
    7,206
    It was a rather busy century.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Markaccus's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newcastle, England
    Posts
    685
    Originally Posted by oliacr Go to original post
    Then why did they choose AC3's location, because the architecture in 18th century America wasn't that good for AC that's why they introduced frontier with the free-running(I really liked both if I may say.) They might have chosen because of the American Revolution I know just like Unity will be French Revolution but come on.
    Like you say, they introduced tree running so they could use that setting. I enjoy the trees more in black flag than i did in ac3, seems to be refined and not excessive, but the townships in black flag are better than the cities in ac3 for the standard free running (imo). It just seems to be a preference for them to keep mostly to what they know, and what they THINK ac fans like.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    AherasSTRG's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,962
    The 18th Century is called by the historians, the century of Revolutions.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    3,447
    Originally Posted by oliacr Go to original post
    I've been saying this for a while now thanks for making a thread. Really appreciate.

    Ezio had 3 games but those showed at least 2 vastly different cities countries I mean Firenze/Rome and Constantinople and their countries/empires. 2 games would be acceptable in the 18th century but 4? Yeah I know that Liberation was not aimed at the main consoles and PC but whatever.

    1 game set before 1200. 3 games set between 1450-1515. 4 games set between 1710-1799. I don't know. I don't like guns in AC I prefer good old swords, bows, hidden blades to those muskets. In AC3 it was a good addition but it is overused now- yes I know that I don't have to use that, but when I have it I'm going to use it accidentally and Didn't they say somewhere that after Black Flag we will be going back in time or is it just my mind? After Unity I really want to see something definitely before 1600 AD or so.

    We can even go back to the Ancient times.
    I’m so glad to see someone who agrees about this. Thank you for contributing here!

    I totally agree with your points and I know some will say ACIII frontier is totally different from ACIV ships and islands and that was different from Liberation and now France but no, what I mean about the period is the people, the type of laws, looks, ideologies and techniques. The British, French and Spanish domination was a theme for that period up until the 1900s so that makes enemies all look the same, and same goes for the weapons we use and the looks of the people.

    I wish we can go to Sumer or Ancient Egypt, a time where we barely use a dagger and a small sword or a knife, maybe poison and we rely on skill rather than a walking armory. I know it’s all optional but how about a change of theme? as Assassins who spend most of the time on rooftops and only interact with those who you love or those you wanna kill, then every city and every character is gonna look the same and especially with the game engine and interface and the way it presents the game to you, you can’t help but feel the similarities.

    I’m well aware that those cities were all unique but when you’re on rooftops, you really can’t tell much and having a landmark doesn’t really change thing. We can only feel like we’re in a new atmosphere when we’re in a whole new period and place. For example from Masyaf to Florence or Venice, and from America and the frontiers to Feudal Japan or China or even from Nassau in 1700’s to Sumer in 4000BC. Now that’s a real difference in time, place, culture, tech, language, ideology, mythology...everything.

    That’s what I’d crave to see.
    Share this post

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►