🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Real Tone Cable to Video Recording Software

Hello,

I'd like to record myself playing my electric-acoustic guitar through my laptop with video. My searches have only turned up ways to record the audio (via Audicity, etc.) Does anyone know of a program that will recognize the Real Tone cable for audio input as the video records through my webcam?

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    FRAPS is the tool many of us use.

From a quick google search, this program seems to be for recording video of game footage rather than my webcam (I should have speciified that I'm hoping to film myself).

Would you know of any webcam video software that would work with a real tone cable?

Yrd's Avatar Senior Member
    Well, the cable shows up as a recording device. It's possible all you need to do is select the rocksmith cable as the source, but you may not have that option.

What you could do is find editing software to match up the two (audio/video) recordings.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Oh, webcam. The webcam should have come with software to record video with. Seems I've used Amcap or something for videos when I use my webcam on my telescope.

I might suggest you use your phone to record the video of yourself. Probably will be better quality video, and easier to position.

Then I use TrakAxPC to merge the 2 videos (myself playing via my phone and the game video via FRAPS). There are many other video editing options.

If you are trying to just capture game audio from a console, then what I did back when I was on xbox, was just run an analog audio cable to my PC input and used any PC recording software to capture the audio. Then I merged/replaced the audio with the video using my video editing software (back then I used the free Windows Live Movie Maker video editor).

Squidlech's Avatar Member
    Any recording software should be able to do this. It's just a matter of telling the software to use the Realtone cable as it's audio input device, instead of the microphone jack or a built in microphone. Some software will have an option to select which audio device to use for input, but some will simply use the default device.

If your software doesn't have an option, then set the default device in the operating system. On Windows, you just right click the speaker icon in the system tray, select "recording devices," and then set the Realtone cable as default recording device. On Mac, it's in the Sound settings under the input tab.

On Mac, you can do it natively using Quicktime. I do it regularly.
    On PC, you should be able to record using Windows Movie Maker. Although, I haven't tried it.

I know that this reply is 7 years too late, but if it is a recording device, does that mean i can use it as an audio imput from discord? @Yrd