ZergRusher's Avatar Duel of Champions Grandmaster

Campaign Guide and Puzzles spoilers

BASIC INFO
    After completing the tutorial (which i highly recommend you to do since it rewards you with a lot of gold and you will learn the basics of the game) you can follow up with the campaign. You can use open format decks in the campaigns. You will start 1st every time. Before you do that. go to the shop and spend the riches you got from finishing tutorial.

There are 5 campaigns, each with 5 missions and 5 puzzles (1 puzzle is unlocked after finishing each campaign). Winning each mission with a faction grants you 5000 gold and 200XP (same for each Puzzle), Winning a mission with all factions will grant you a pack from the expansion the story of the campaign was about. You will also get 40 wild cards from all the packs from campaign (every pack but BS1 from Windsword campaign grants you 2 WC).

Campaign name Gold XP Packs
    Tutorial 25 000 2 000 -
    Windsword 150 000 6 000 5 x BS 1 packs
    Void Rising 150 000 6 000 5 x Void Rising packs
    Herald of the Void 150 000 6 000 5 x Herald of the Void packs
    Forgotten Wars 150 000 6 000 5 x Forgotten Wars packs
    Five Towers 150 000 6 000 5 x Five Towers packs
    Puzzles 5 000 1 000 -
    All 780 000 33 000 25 packs
    by DanielKurzempa & ZergRusher | updates by ZergRusher

General tips for the campaign:
    - The AI is pretty dumb. It will almost always attack the creature in front so place your blockers freely - they will be very effective.
    - before every battle in the campaign you can read the short description of your enemy deck - this might be helpful to you to prepare an adequate counter deck if needed (although campaign is not that difficult)

Some tips by minddrifter
    Nearly the entire campaign (especially the first 3 sets of 5 and even most of the last 2 sets too tbh) can be beaten fairly easily with any solid rush deck. I used a Sandal Rush for Haven, Garant Rush for Inferno, Adar Rush/Control for Necro, Kelthor for Stronhold, Ishuma Creature for Sanctuary, and a Hakeem Rush/Control for Academy. I beat probably over 90% of the battles using those decks (for decklists check out amazingly bad's 5 tower lists and/or the new HoN list. I was using the old Open Format decks). I also tried different BS2 decks along the way but if I ran into any big troubles I went to one of my solid rush decks. Keep in mind luck can still get the best of you so you won't win the first time on every single mission, but I did with the majority (and had a couple small losing streaks here and there).

You can check out this thread to find some decent STD decks:
    - Top Decks by jkk.

If at any point you are really struggling in the campaign, you can either:

- Read the tips on this post

- Go to the shop and buy packs with gold that you've earned, and use the cards to improve your deck

- Ask for help on this thread

- Forget about the campaign for now, spend your riches, play some games online for a while and come back later with a stronger deck. Don't let the final few irritating campaign levels put you off the game! They do not represent a normal balanced duel.

Here's another thread with very helpful campaign tips: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ign-Help-Guide

CAMPAIGN

Windswords

Spoiler:  Show
    The whole campaign is rather easy so should be able to finish it without looking at this guide - but just in case i jotted down a few tips.

Vradek's Crossing
    In the first mission you are facing Crusher. It's a relatively easy opponent that has very weak creatures and some earth spells. Just deal damage to the face and you should win.

A Pirate in the Woods
    Your next opponent is Crag Hack with 12 HP. He will use Arenas to deal direct damage to your hero but don't worry. Again the quality of his creatures is too low so he won't become a threat to you.

Darkwood Forest
    The Bashee as a Dark Magic user, has access to Death Seals so perhaps don't put your units in from of her. Just deal damage directly to Banshee and you should win quickly.

Maintain Marauders
    Shaar has 18 HP and quite a few strong but cost-inefficient creatures so i recommend rushing him and not prolonging the game.

Demonic Infestation
    Garant will use Halls of Torment to deal direct damage to your hero. As in the previous missions you shouldn't worry about that just deploy your creatures and attack the hero. Please don't forget that Ur-Krag Enforcer (the fat 4/5/6 creature) has Sweep Attack.

by ZergRusher

Void Rising

Denstast's Catacombs
    Your first opponent is Nergal. He should have a quick start with cheap creatures and will use some poison spells but overall same tactics works - just attack to the face. AI is not very smart.

The Caves
    Death Lord will probably use Mass Grave on your early 2-drops.

Fleshbane
    Against Fleshbane, you start with Neophyte Lich on your side. Your opponent will spam Lingering Ghosts and Lesser Shadow Elementals - both creatures are fairly weak but since they are incorporeal make sure that your deck includes some magic creatures.
    Fun fact: his entire deck consists of Lingering Ghosts and Lesser Shadow Elementals - you can almost mill him with Garant's Purge.

Shaar's vengeance
    Shaar has quite a few fatties and spells like Fireballs and Cyclones however his start is quite slow. Again you should be able to rush him down.

A Wizard Far from Home
    Akane will probably deploy some Shinje Warrior so make sure you prepare for that. Good thing is that the AI will attack with them so they can die because of retaliation dmg.

by ZergRusher

Herald of the Void

Adar Malik
    He's deck is decent - sth you may encounter on lower levels but there is nothing special about it. Apply same tactics as always - beat his creatures and go for the face.

Noboru
    Noboru starts with Light of Tomorrow on so be prepare to face endless spam of creatures. You can't add any dispels since The Light of Tomorrow has Enemy Ward and is immune to any type of cards played that can affect it, so you can't dispel.
    thx for the hints xanelu

Dhamiria
    Dhamiria has quite a rushy deck that might cause you some problems. She has a lot of Lurkers in the Dark so you may need some answer to them. you just need sth to ready defend. In my casa Dhamiria was using early drops to create strong rows like: Succubus + Juggernaut and then Liliums to defend my rows. So you need sth to defend those strong rows like War Oliphant or even Broken Bridge. Lightning Strikes are always great vs Inferno.

Hakeem
    Phased shooters of Hakeem might become problematic for some decks - it's a good idea to play with a fire user to have access to firebolts. This is not Hakeem mill deck that you might often see on ladder - this is random creatures with some spells.

Kieran's return
    Kieran start with mass rage so you might consider employing some countermeasures like BS Crushers. Here are a couple of tips connected with mass rage mechanism that might help you in the future: creatures are attacking in a sequence they were deployed - use this information to your advantage.

by ZergRusher

Forgotten Wars

Crusaders
    Morgan will spam Haven creatures but they are not particularly strong.

The Proud Sayamas
    Shalan is another hero with creature spam. Similar to Morgan in the last mission he's creatures are decent but the deck isn't particularly coherent.

Zouleika
    She starts with a War Tent on every board position and has quite a few quick attackers. Also her deck is very thin so if you survive the early rush you will win simply because she runs out of cards quickly. You can play with an earth magic hero and add earth grasp also any mill strategy is very effective.

here also a helpful post: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...1#post10133406

Ignatius
    Again creature span. Take advantage of dumb AI and win.

The Creatures of the Rift
    nothing much to say - this mission looks particularly easy simply because is kinda creature based mill deck or hard to say what was the idea behind this deck. Anyhow, magic creature decks might have some problems since magic guard Gargoyle is quite common

by ZergRusher

Five Towers

Ariana
    Ariana starts with the Tower of the Gardener in the upper row so don't place units there unless you need to black to save your life. Try to force her to defend bu rushing her down.

Phrias
    Block the Tower of the Smith because every time a creature attacks and deal damage to you, you discard a card. Phrias will use Gates to get early Abyssal Lord, i suggest choosing a fortune deck with Bridges.

Akane
    Again block the tower since it gives her such a big card advantage that the duel might get complicated after a while. Watch out to Forked Lightning when she gets to 6 magic - play against Forked Lightning by clamping your units together.

Kieran, Knight of Negation
    Similar to Ariana mission, do not block the Tower of the Inventor - try rushing him. You may eventually be forced to block, simply because Haven's units are more rushy than Necropolis' ones. He may eventually cast a Throne of Renewal but it won't matter that much - just spam the board after a Throne.
    by ZergRusher

Gazal, Herald of the Void
    The last battle is of course the hardest. For this I used any hero with Dark Magic (fortunately 4/6 factions have access to dark). Using death spells, controlling spells (like enthrall), and the most important dark spell: Cursed Bound. Actually in any of the battles where you are facing a lot of fatties this card is a golden ticket. The AI is absolutely clueless it exists and I even won matches in which if the AI had simply attacked with another creature before the one with Cursed Bond I would have lost but instead he kills himself! They'll even use the events to pump their creatures up first and deal even extra damage! So I will use a strategy of just placing w/e in front of something with cursed bound and let him keep killing things off and killing himself. Stacking them up on the same creature works great too, especially if it has a lot of power. Again, the AI will play as if it has no clue Cursed Bound(s) are on a creature.

Haven and Stronghold do not have access to Dark and the battle is much harder. With both of them I did find that Air magic was key as Lightning Bolt can still take down most things like a death spell (although not everything). Homebound Winds is an all-star here. I also had success with Father Wrath's Sky. Prime magic is also not half bad with town portals or the prime unique spell (forget the name). Still, I had a lot harder time without all the death and stealing of creatures that dark gives you, and of course, no Cursed Bounds.
    by minddrifter

Haven:
    Alia mass rage. 4 void wraiths and cheap blockers like the giant tree, and the cheap retribution guy. Also 4 Pao deathseeker to sneak damage in. Light of tomorrow spell to bring your Paos and void wraiths back. Also 4 of those 3 drop fortunes that prevent attack and a couple celestial armor to stall. You get 5 board wipes with Forbidden Flame and Armageddon. The moon phoenix helps as a recurring blocker and can thin out your graveyard if you want to get paos and void wraiths back easier with light of tomorrow. The game will take a while so you can be using her ability to heal all damage every turn eventually.

Stronghold:
    This was actually the easiest one for me. Did it first time in 3 minutes. Use Kat fortune rush. Your creatures are not magic so the stupid tower and gargoyles don't matter. Use shooters to avoid retaliation. 4 goblin scouts, goblin hunters, centaurs. Oliphants and tainted orcs for blocking and sac alter ammunition. Use bs shredders and maybe pao to sneak in damage to hero. War tents are nice. I ended up using them on my shooters. For fortunes, you want bridges to remove threats. Alters to clear path to hero. Surprise attack to clear path to hero. Finally alter of asha to again clear path to hero (great to use on pao). This is a rush strategy. If you let him build, you have lost.
    by Goodkat203

I actually found I killed Gazal very easily and quickly with Haven, and it will work for any faction. I only have one copy of Tower of Oblivion, but it was enough. Her creatures are high cost. Played defensively added 3x observatories and 3x broken bridges. and just left her blind monk in play. Just focused on surviving with creature blocks and played broken brides. Because her cards are so expensive and because you are not killing her creatures the board and her hand fills up quickly. Killed her one shot with the Tower of Oblivion.
    by Stoneofhelp

PUZZLES

Cassandra's Puzzle
    1. Up Destiny to 3
    2. Cast Kat's Grant Finale and deploy Blood Caller
    3. Sacrifice Tainted Orc and Shredder
    4. Attack Wolf Praetorian with Harpy to let her die
    5. Deal 5 dmg with Dramwalker to Cassandra

by ZergRusher

Nergal's Puzzle
    1) Move the Dire Wolf between the Wanizame and the Mizu-Kami.
    2) Play Lifting Wind, targetting the Dire Wolf and Wanizame.
    3) Attack with Mizu-Kami.
    4) Play Coral Priestess, move the Neophyte Lich in front of the Mizu-Kami, and attack with the Wanizame.

by malkorion

Ignatius' Puzzle
    1. Cast Shantiri Ruins (discard Moonsilk Fetters) to get Cursed Bound
    2. Cast 2x Shared Agony on Abyssal Worm
    3. Up Magic to 3
    4. Cast Cursed Bound on Namtaru and attack Lashing Lilum with her for 4 dmg. 8 dmg will be dealt to the Abyssal Worm
    5. Deal 5 dmg with Ghost Dragon to Ignatius

by ZergRusher

Hakeem's Puzzle:
    1. Play Heatwave
    2. Use Day of Sanctuary on the Guardian Gollem
    3. Attack the Rakshasa with the Shantiri Titan
    4. Use fiery death on the Rakshasa
    5. Attack the Empty Tile with the Sentinel
    6.Attack the Djinn with your Enslaved Harpy to kill it off
    7. Kill your own Gargoyle with the event: Week of the Dead
    8.Buff your Derwish with Fiery Weapon and activate your hero ability, now move her to the Wizard Tutor kill him and attack the hero
    9.Move the Dark Wood Treant away and deploy Pao and attack to finish

by resadversa, minor corrections by ZergRusher

Fleshbane's Puzzle:

1. Activate Eye of the Mana Storm, targetting the Chaos Lacerator. Attack the Darkwood Treant.
    2. Attack the Darkwood Treant with Chaos Sorceress.
    3. Play Firestorm on back row.
    4. Attack Fate Sealer with Demented. Then attack Fleshbane with Sea Elf Archer.
    5. Attack the bottom row with Succubus.
    6. Sacrifice Succubus, and Teleport your Hellfire Slave to its place. Attack.
    7. Up Magic to 6, and play Time Jump.
    8. Attack with everything.

by malkorion

If anyone writes some guide on any campaign i'll put it in this post and credit the writer. It doesn't have to be entire campaign - one mission is more than enough

Acknowledgements:
    - i used some parts of RobValue's guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/iphone/68335...ons/faqs/67075
    - parts of minddrifter post: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...=1#post9922682
    - table was mostly done by DanielKurzempa: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...tkuj%C4%85cych

In the fleshbane puzzle the demented should be attacking the fate sealer, not the banshee, though this becomes fairly clear on its own if you follow the preceding steps accordingly.

malkorion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Papa_Nurgle Go to original post
    In the fleshbane puzzle the demented should be attacking the fate sealer, not the banshee, though this becomes fairly clear on its own if you follow the preceding steps accordingly.
    Aye. An honest mistake. Banshee should be Fate Sealer in step 4)

Originally Posted by Papa_Nurgle Go to original post
    thx fixed

Sameji246's Avatar Member
    There is also a missing step with Hakeem's puzzle. You need to Week of the Dead your Gargoyle.

malkorion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Sameji246 Go to original post
    There is also a missing step with Hakeem's puzzle. You need to Week of the Dead your Gargoyle.
    Well, that's about the only way to make room for your Dervish Master, so I thought that was redundant.

Originally Posted by Sameji246 Go to original post
    thx fixed

Light of Tomorrow has Enemy Ward

Herald of the Void

Noboru
    Noboru starts with Light of Tomorrow on so be prepare to face endless spam of creatures. You may also want to include a dispel.
    The Light of Tomorrow has Enemy Ward and is immune to any type of cards played that can affect it, so you can't dispel. At least that's what happened to me. I only played that duel once.

Thank you for the help on the last puzzle, had some problems with that. Keep doing a great job ZergRusher and malkorion.

Originally Posted by xanelu Go to original post
    The Light of Tomorrow has Enemy Ward and is immune to any type of cards played that can affect it, so you can't dispel. At least that's what happened to me. I only played that duel once.

Thank you for the help on the last puzzle, had some problems with that. Keep doing a great job ZergRusher and malkorion.
    thx fixed

So I have finally beaten every campaign with every faction, lol. After spending so much time doing this I figure I would give a few tips for an overall strategy and then a couple details about some of the harder battles.

So first off nearly the entire campaign (especially the first 3 sets of 5 and even most of the last 2 sets too tbh) can be beaten fairly easily with any solid rush deck. I used a Sandal Rush for Haven, Garant Rush for Inferno, Adar Rush/Control for Necro, Kelthor for Stronhold, Ishuma Creature for Sanctuary, and a Hakeem Rush/Control for Academy. I beat probably over 90% of the battles using those decks (for decklists check out amazingly bad's 5 tower lists and/or the new HoN list. I was using the old Open Format decks). I also tried different BS2 decks along the way but if I ran into any big troubles I went to one of my solid rush decks. Keep in mind luck can still get the best of you so you won't win the first time on every single mission, but I did with the majority (and had a couple small losing streaks here and there).

There were a couple battles I found throughout that I always seemed to get stuck with using the rush decks. The first one was Dhamaria in the 1st campaign. A control oriented deck works best here. If she keeps hitting her best creatures with the gates it can be a bit frustrating and you just get overwhelmed too quickly. Try again, she won't hit every gate like gold every time in every game, lol.

Another tough one is the War Tent battle in the 4th campaign. I would make a deck just for this battle with each campaign. Using lower end creatures for defense and stall (killing where I can) while raising magic and wiping the board with w/e magic I have access to and then take over. As Zerg said, she runs out of cards quick so when you do this you basically ensure a win because she has nothing more to even throw on the field after wiping out a few turns of creature drops. That being said she can win in next to no time at all. If you have a slow start you are done for, no question about it. Good thing is you lose so fast you just fight her again and get a better hand in no time at all, lol.

The last battle is of course the hardest. For this I used any hero with Dark Magic (fortunately 4/6 factions have access to dark). Using death spells, controlling spells (like enthrall), and the most important dark spell: Cursed Bound. Actually in any of the battles where you are facing a lot of fatties this card is a golden ticket. The AI is absolutely clueless it exists and I even won matches in which if the AI had simply attacked with another creature before the one with Cursed Bond I would have lost but instead he kills himself! They'll even use the events to pump their creatures up first and deal even extra damage! So I will use a strategy of just placing w/e in front of something with cursed bound and let him keep killing things off and killing himself. Stacking them up on the same creature works great too, especially if it has a lot of power. Again, the AI will play as if it has no clue Cursed Bound(s) are on a creature.

Haven and Stronghold do not have access to Dark and the battle is much harder. With both of them I did find that Air magic was key as Lightning Bolt can still take down most things like a death spell (although not everything). Homebound Winds is an all-star here. I also had success with Father Wrath's Sky. Prime magic is also not half bad with town portals or the prime unique spell (forget the name). Still, I had a lot harder time without all the death and stealing of creatures that dark gives you, and of course, no Cursed Bounds.

If anyone has a specific problem with any of the missions with any faction just say something and I will try to help. I had all T1/T2 decks from Open format with each faction, so it will be a lot tougher if you have not played as long. Not all of them were 100% with all the epics, but probably 95% and a few were "perfect". Academy was the one faction I tended to have less good cards for so I had a somewhat harder time with them. Luckily Academy had access to Dark so it wasn't that big of a deal!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►