FMX training. Is it a joke or what?

"Try doing what the screen shows"
    Who came up with that? How about you tell us how to do that trick? I've been trying for the past 10mins to do what it shows. No luck. It's just doing the same 3-4 tricks over and over. No matter which way my bike faces and what direction my right stick is pointing.

Hate to say it but... this ^

Originally Posted by VengZ Go to original post
    How about you tell us how to do that trick?
    Yep, thought there would be a more in-depth tutorial. I watched a lot of stream from Redlynx and Trials Fusion in general and still i couldnt figure out how it really worked. Played for 30 minutes fmx only, but didnt get how to do the trick i want. I'm not sure how the bike position effects the trick, but it certainly does. Also if there are only 4 possibilities per bike position or if i have to pull the R trigger down and then to the right for instance. I hope for a video or something. Its kinda fun to do the tricks but if you dont know how it exactly works and the rider always does something else than you want, its not that much fun. Hope for a YouTube video or something that explains this properly

mutetus's Avatar Trials Developer
    Align the bike like it's in the picture and move the right stick to the direction the rider's feet are pointing at. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon.

Perhaps it's a keyboard issue, but the third trick (upside down point left) didn't seem, to work, I just had to flail around wildly for a while before I got it

Indeed, Fmx on a Keyboard is a joke at the moment

its not just about having your bike in a certain position and pushing the stick in another. Tricks are "activated" once your riders body/legs get into a specific range of arrangement so to speak, and remains in this range for about half a second or so.

also, almost all tricks lock after you hold them for a second, in which case, you can not "change" tricks until you either momentarily release the stick(cancelling your current trick) or rotate the stick into one of the other 3 quadrants of "activation".

Example time.
    Flat position, hold left and you will start superman, now if you rotate counter clockwise until you are facing up, your rider will continue to do superman, even though "techinically" you are positioned and holding the stick to do "going to heaven". You have to release the stick for a split second, and then hold left again to start doing the new trick.

2nd example.
    This demonstrates why tricks are not determined by bike orientation and direction of thumbstick alone.
    Flat position, hold right and you will do the "coffin". In order to do "dead body" however, you have to swing your legs around the handle bars and then hold right.
    Same bike orientation, same stick direction, different trick.

I have around 8 hours in FMX now, im #1 on the leaderboards by a substantial amount, I know what im talking about. The trick system works perfectly fine and is consistent as far as i have experienced, once you understand the mechanics, it makes perfect sense.

and while i cant speak from experience on keyboard, i would imagine it would actually be easier to do FMX on keyboard because of the absolute directions of the keyboard i would think the tricks would activate faster.

EDIT: Also, there are not 4 unique tricks per bike orientation.
    "Coffin" is a universal trick that can achieved regrdless of bike orientation.
    So there are 3 tricks per orientation and then "coffin" = 13 tricks
    Also, there is a "front" and "back" flip variation of all tricks except "proud hero". Which can be accomplished by activating a trick position, and then performing a 180 within a second.

JoeRegular's Avatar Senior Member
    I haven't had a huge amount of playtime with the tricks. That 'upside down and hold left' one gave me a lot of trouble too. It only worked for me when I held up and left together ( 360 pad ), I literally only did it once though and can't be sure if I didn't do anything like Vantier suggests just prior to getting it. I'll try again when I have a chance to confirm.

Originally Posted by mutetus Go to original post
    Align the bike like it's in the picture and move the right stick to the direction the rider's feet are pointing at. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon.
    I would have to disagree with that one. I have a 360 controller and a PS3 with motion Joy. this is ridiculously hard to get the right trick(only the last trick). In the end almost everyone has resorted to just simply mashing stuff and getting lucky enough to advance. It's a cool "thought for the game", but needs some serious work, or just simply change the moves in the tutorial to single directional moves, and give the option to do a freestyle mode. Considering I have never had a rank of lower than 250 in the world in both HD and EVO I would have to say I have an above average feel for this game. I know this is a new feature, I would have to think a "move list" with each controls would be a more appropriate answer. Not you'll get the hang of it. But hey, that's just my opinion.

mutetus's Avatar Trials Developer
    It's pretty much what Vantier said there earlier. It's nice to hear an approach from someone new to the tricks because they're difficult to explain once you have learned them so that you don't really have to think about what you're even doing. There's no move list or just a certain button combination to pull them because you're controlling the rider instead of triggering animations. Just come back after two weeks and tell if the tricks are still difficult.