Aza404's Avatar DoC Shoutcaster

Heart of Nightmares - New Ranking & Matchmaking

Dear Champions,

With the release of Heart of Nightmares, we wanted to revamp our Ranking & Matchmaking systems and push it to the next level. The primary goal of this new system is to accurately judge each player’s skills in order to match them with challenging but beatable opponents. Our secondary goal was to make a system tailor-made for better competitive gameplay. The actual ELO system will change in favor of new Ranks based on a player’s Match Making Rating (MMR). We have also created two different options for matching you against an opponent, Fast Matchmaking and Exact Matchmaking. You will find below more details about this new revamped system, provided by our Designers Guillaume “Gwigre” Borgia, Jared “jpsmasher” Pearson and our Technical Lead Yanick “Malthar” Houle.

MMR (Match Making Rating)

MMR is the key element in a player’s ranking. Every player has a global MMR that will start at 0 and while players will never concretely see their MMR, it will be used to determine their progression in game. Playing any type of ranked duel will affect your MMR. The algorithm behind this system was designed to make sure matchmaking reflects every player’s skills and abilities.

Ladder Tier

Player will be ranked on the ladder by Tiers. Progression in a Tier will be mainly influenced by a player’s Match Making Ranking (MMR, previously ELO). Ranked tiers will be named as follows: Recruit --> Squire --> Knight --> Commander --> Lord Commander --> Champion I --> Champion II --> Champion III.

Tiers also overlap one another. A player that has just been promoted will already be around 10% of the way through their progression in the new Tier.

Promotion

From Tier 1 to 5 (Recruit through Lord Commander), players will be eligible for promotions when their MMR reaches the upper boundary limit of their current Tier. The next duel for that player will be crucial. If a player in this situation wins their next match, the player will gain the corresponding MMR and also be promoted to the next Tier. If a player loses their promotion match, the player will lose the corresponding MMR and must try to reach that tier’s MMR threshold again for another chance at promotion.

Upon receiving a promotion to a new Tier, players will see a reward screen pop-up once they return to the main menu from their promotion duel.

Demotion

If a player’s MMR is below the minimum in their tier at the end of a month, they may end up facing demoted. Players in the middle of a competitive season will need to play strong consistently to avoid being demoted.

Tier 6 and over

Starting with Tier 6 (Champion), the ranking of the player is no longer based on MMR but instead on Champion Points (CP). Champion Points are awarded after a match and are based on both players MMR. You can see your Champion Points in the Leaderboards, in your Profile, and also on the top bar.

Champion Points Decay

From Tier 6 (Champion I) and above, players will experience decay in their Champion Points. Players that do not compete in a ranked duel for 7 days straight will see their CP decreased by 20. This decrease will continue until the player’s CP reaches a value of 0.

Leaderboard

From Recruit to Lord Commander, players are ranked by their progression percentage into their Tier. Champion Points are nonexistent for these players. Instead of CP, players that are a part of these Tiers will see a “-“displayed next to their name in the Leaderboard.

From Champion I to III, players are ranked strictly by Champion Points. This means that a Champion I could potentially end up at a higher rank than a Champion III. For Champion I and II, progression is still displayed to let a player know if they will be promoted soon. For players that have reached Champion III, the highest attainable rank in the game, a “-“ is displayed in the progression column as that there is no higher Tier to progress to.

Resetting the ladder

Every month the ladder will be reset. Every player’s MMR will be placed back to the lowest possible MMR in their current Tier. Players will gain an amount of Bonus Point (BP) equal to the MMR lost.

If the player is already below a Tier’s lower boundary when the ladder is being reset, the player is demoted to the Tier that is appropriate for their MMR. The player’s MMR will be set back to that lower Tier’s lowest possible MMR. Additionally, the player will then gain an amount of Bonus Points equal to the MMR lost.

A player’s MMR is always capped at the lower boundary of the previous Tier. As such, a player can never be demoted more than 1 Tier per month.

Bonus Points

Bonus points will affect the way a player’s duels impact their MMR. If a player wins a duel while in possession of Bonus Points, the player’s MMR increase will be doubled and that amount of BP will be removed from the player’s Bonus Point total.

Up losing a duel while in possession of Bonus Points, the player’s MMR will remain unchanged. Instead, only the associated BP will be removed from the player’s account.

Jackpot tournament MMR

When a player joins a jackpot tournament, they will be given a Tournament MMR (TMMR) which will start at 0. TMMR will only be affected when playing in tournament duels.

MMR Decay

Similar to Champion Point decay, players lower than the Champion Tier will also experience MMR Decay. If a player hasn’t played a ranked duel in the last 7 days then their MMR will decrease by 2. This process will continue until the player’s MMR reaches the lower boundary of their current Tier.

Matching Players

When matching players together for a duel, the Matchmaking system pairs players together by two different pieces of criteria:

1- Player activity (Ranked game or Jackpot tournament)
    2- Similar MMR

Matchmaking option

Players will be able to change the behavior of the Matchmaking system if they so choose. By default, everyone will be set to “Fast Matchmaking.” Players that prefer to only play against opponents with very similar MMR will have the option to use “Exact Matchmaking.”

Note: Rookie players (Tier 1) can only be matched against other Rookie players regardless of the matchmaking mode they select. We integrated this rule to make sure new players can learn by fighting against opponents of the skill level.

Exact Matchmaking

This option may take slightly longer to match you against an opponent. This matchmaking system will allow players to be matched very accurately against opponents with similar skills.

Fast (normal) Matchmaking

When using Fast Matchmaking, the system will first try to find an opponent using Exact Matchmaking. If an exact match cannot be found, the system will gradually increase the maximum allowed ranking difference until a good match for an opponent is found.

Enjoy!
    Aza and the DoC Team

It's nice to finally have an option other than fast matchmaking, though it would be nice if there was an option to play a sound or have the icon in the taskbar flash when the queue popped in case you were alt tabbed while it searched.

Though one question that wasn't quite answered is will we all start from 0 mmr or will it just pretend there was a reset and use our current elo as our mmr?

Is there going to be any form of unranked play ?

Playing the same deck for the sake of climbing the ladder gets boring pretty fast for some people, and players will be unwilling to try out new decks out of fear of losing the ladder points they gained so far.
    Not everyone wants to play the highly competitive deck all the time, so if I want to play sub-par deck, for the sake of fun, and still want to keep my ladder points and mmr, will I be able to do so ?

malkorion's Avatar Senior Member
    Isn't this new system just as prone to abuse as the old one?

This whole MMR thing makes me think of Hearthstone.

Yeah, any space for casuals?

del170109032657's Avatar Community Manager
    Originally Posted by Alamand Go to original post
    Though one question that wasn't quite answered is will we all start from 0 mmr or will it just pretend there was a reset and use our current elo as our mmr?
    When the HoN update hits the live server, current ELO will be converted to an appropriate MMR. As such, everyone will be assigned the appropriate Rank for their current MMR.

Looks exciting! Specially big news for competitive and regular players.

Are you gonna rename the Champion II, Champion III ranks in the future? Maybe it's just me but having the top 3 ranks named champion feels a bit weird.

It'll be interesting to see what elo/mmr matches up to what rank. I'm assuming most of the 1500 crowd will end up in the champion tiers, though it'll be interesting to see how many can stay there with the elo floors gone.

Another interesting side effect of this will be after a few months we'll have a good idea as to just how many active players MMDoC has as all of the inactives slowly decay to the lowest possible mmr.

del170109032657's Avatar Community Manager
    Originally Posted by Blitz556 Go to original post
    Looks exciting! Specially big news for competitive and regular players.

Are you gonna rename the Champion II, Champion III ranks in the future? Maybe it's just me but having the top 3 ranks named champion feels a bit weird.
    There's a reason for this. Stay tuned.

Jarema03's Avatar Senior Member
    great changes IMO!

zenithale's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LQDBrunt Go to original post
    Is there going to be any form of unranked play ?

Playing the same deck for the sake of climbing the ladder gets boring pretty fast for some people, and players will be unwilling to try out new decks out of fear of losing the ladder points they gained so far.
    Not everyone wants to play the highly competitive deck all the time, so if I want to play sub-par deck, for the sake of fun, and still want to keep my ladder points and mmr, will I be able to do so ?
    Huge +1.

A Ranking for each Faction/Hero would be welcome as well.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►