RinoTheBouncer's Avatar Senior Member

Why does AC give us way too many elements than we need?

Okay, so this isnít a rant about one specific game, but Iím just wondering why AC kinda gives way too much elements than the actual size and needs of the game? for example, some AC games had way too many weapons than you can possibly have time to try or even need.

ACIII for example built a huge frontier, so many hunting methods and to be quite honest, I finished the game before I even needed half of those. I know itís meant for extended exploration but to me, it kinda feels pointless to give a huge location when the story barely takes place in 25% of it.

ACIV gave us diving locations and weíre swimming underwater for the very first time on a main console AC game. But lets be honest, how much did we really need that? the only mission where we had to go underwater, as far as I remember, was the one where we look for the medicines. I believe they couldíve easily made a whole level underwater where we find a Piece of Eden, or something of more importance. Something epic. But that did not happen and I finished the game 100% and it was all just for plunder.

AC:R had so many possibilities for making bombs and I think I only used 4 bombs throughout my whole play through, as far as I remember, if not less. AC:B had this pigeons thing which Iím well I also didnít bother with much.

Iím not saying that otherís AC experience should be tailored according to what I want. But Iím saying that AC games should either be longer in terms of the actually single player campaign or just give you as much as you need to use. I do enjoy extra missions, but I feel like most of the ďextraĒ stuff donít have much story value in them and itís just an excuse to go around killing or tailing someone and thatís it.

I feel like AC trains you to do things, gives you certain equipments and makes you feel like theyíre gonna be the base of the missions to come, while in fact, youíre just gonna use them once if at all so a lot of these ďfeaturesĒ feel like a waste of effort.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    It's a open world game, it kind of need to have that kind of extras to be one.

The more the merrier. This way everyone plays the way they see fit. Why he so restricted. More open equals more options of playability.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    It's because some people find hunting or swimming underwater boring and tedious. To accomodate, Ubisoft made those missions optional.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think everything needs to have a reason, as long as it's fun. AC2 tombs weren't necessary to the plot either. All you got from them was some loot and a key for an armor that you could choose to use or ignore. No different from the underwater locations in AC4, basically. AC3's wide selection of hunting tools or ACR's bombs weren't a bad idea per se, it's just that their use in the game wasn't implemented in a way that encouraged experimentation. There were no missions where a blood bomb ever seemed like a useful tool. The animals in AC3 were so easy to hunt (due to poor AI) that there was no real need for the clever use of tools. It's not the range of tools that's the problem, it's how fun or useful they are. AC4's diving locations were fun enough to justify their existence in the game. Sure, they could have been better, but I'd rather have them in the game than not.

The only time it bugs me when a game gives you too many useless features is if it feels like a chore (*cough*DenDefense*cough) or removes all challenge from the game.

deskp's Avatar Senior Member
    Sounds like you don't want to egange with the open world. Alot of people do. to wich all the optional stuff is fantastic.

And as other people said, why force people into doing stuff they might not want.

Besides if you want to upgrade your ship you need to do most of the diving.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I don't think everything needs to have a reason, as long as it's fun. AC2 tombs weren't necessary to the plot either. All you got from them was some loot and a key for an armor that you could choose to use or ignore. No different from the underwater locations in AC4, basically. AC3's wide selection of hunting tools or ACR's bombs weren't a bad idea per se, it's just that their use in the game wasn't implemented in a way that encouraged experimentation. There were no missions where a blood bomb ever seemed like a useful tool. The animals in AC3 were so easy to hunt (due to poor AI) that there was no real need for the clever use of tools. It's not the range of tools that's the problem, it's how fun or useful they are. AC4's diving locations were fun enough to justify their existence in the game. Sure, they could have been better, but I'd rather have them in the game than not.

The only time it bugs me when a game gives you too many useless features is if it feels like a chore (*cough*DenDefense*cough) or removes all challenge from the game.
    this is true, it's a shame that many people only care about the aesthetic factor, they want tons of weapons for the fancy animations but don't care if a piece of paper, a dagger or a two-hand axe have almost the same efficiency during a battle, the same goes for different weapons of the same kind, what's the point in have 30 different swords if the most noticeable difference between sword #1 and #30 will be its skin?

Yep. Ubisoft was dead scared of repeating AC1 situation where everyone said the game didn't have enough variety. AC2 is great, but it DOES look like they pumped every idea they could think of into it. And those those that they didn't manage due to time constraints they pumped into ACB. Another big factor is annual release schedule of course, it forces them to add anything possible to 'justify' new installement and avoid getting called out in reviews. Add lack of balance to that, the devs are dead scared of removing some of the mechanics that already appeared in the series. Brothehood should've been removed from AC3 and the entire economy system reworked to focus on hunting. ACR should have majority of the arsenal removed to make room for bomb crafting.

The AC games following AC:1 tended to have a lot of extra/gimmicky features added which usually were at the expense of the "core" gameplay.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by RatonhnhakeFan Go to original post
    Yep. Ubisoft was dead scared of repeating AC1 situation where everyone said the game didn't have enough variety. AC2 is great, but it DOES look like they pumped every idea they could think of into it. And those those that they didn't manage due to time constraints they pumped into ACB. Another big factor is annual release schedule of course, it forces them to add anything possible to 'justify' new installement and avoid getting called out in reviews. Add lack of balance to that, the devs are dead scared of removing some of the mechanics that already appeared in the series. Brothehood should've been removed from AC3 and the entire economy system reworked to focus on hunting. ACR should have majority of the arsenal removed to make room for bomb crafting.
    ^ So much this. It really is a problem that once a feature has been done once, the devs tend to carry it over into the next game, regardless of whether it makes sense or works in the gameplay's favor.